1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine decrease in value for tranny swap/turbo? (99 rolla)

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by rollarace, May 13, 2004.

1. Offline

rollarace New Member

Message Count:
    I think I might just buy a bike and leave the rolla alone now...thanks guys
  2. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    that's better on your wallet, too.

good choice :)
  3. Offline

dub911 Guest

Message Count:
    an automatic transmission is worth more than a manual transmission. its an upgrade. most people don't want manual transmissions
  4. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    If you really put alot of money into your ride, just put it on Ebay or Autotrader and instead of trading the car in and you're more likely to find somebody willing to pay for your mods.
  5. Offline

matadorCE Guest

Message Count:
    people that are buying are looking for stock or near stock cars. a major change like a transmission swap or a turbo won't appeal to your average Joe car buyer. I know I wouldn't buy a car like that unless I a) knew the owner well b) knew the entire history of the car c) knew the car was well taken care of.
  6. Offline

rollarace New Member

Message Count:
    decrease in value for tranny swap/turbo? (99 rolla)

99 rolla....

I heard that trading tranny's from an auto to a manual would decrease the car's value...is it true? why?

Would turboing it also decrease the value? Thanks
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    anything done to the car can reduce the value...from tint to rims to changing the taillights. your car will not be worth the same with all the work done to it.
  8. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    That's because, regardless of how much you spent in mods, people interested in buying the car most likely won't have your same taste. Also, people are afraid of crappy work crippling an otherwise well performing car.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    thanks for finishing my thought :)
  10. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    selling a manual corolla is a lot harder then selling an auto because it's an economy car. if you do the mods then when you will have to look for someone that to buy it that is into cars.
  11. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    Well people either want a manual or they want an auto. They usually don’t settle. The automatic was an 900 dollar option when my car was purchased. If u put a manual in your auto the price of your car is going to drop about 500 dollars. It is really pointless in my opinion. Also if they are really trying to find a good car, they can get the book on how to understand a corollas vin. Just simply running the vin wont tell u that the car is a manual or automatic.
  12. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    Here is what I found out at the Emissions place today. If your car is originally an automatic and you switch to a manual it will say that on the Emission’s sheet they give to you. That is the only other sure way to tell.