1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Custom CAI??

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by j-rolla02, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:
    Custom CAI??

Hey has anyone tried to build a custom CAI for a 01 or 02 rolla. Im thinking of trying to build one on my own with custom piping instead of buying an E.L. CAI. Ill be using 3inch piping. Ill let you all know how it works out.
  2. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    I want to make one but don't know where I can get the custom piping.
    Can't wait to see yours done. :D
  3. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    Just try to keep the same diameter as the stock airbox/MAF sensor tube if at all possible.
  4. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:
    yeah me and my friend who is helping me design it will take a look at it tommorow and see what will the best diameter of piping and angle.Also will nail the intake filter itself. Looking at a K&N or HKS as my choices. And I will post pics as soon as intake is complete
  5. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    Diameter and length of pipe create a tuned air pulse. You can make it just the right length and diameter pipe to get a ram air type of effect. Find out what the length and diameter is on an AEM '03 corolla CAI and use that.
  6. Offline

ctam1986 Chicken

Message Count:
  7. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:
    Ok guys sorry to dissapoint but ive decided to buy the EL Prototypes CAI. I dont have as much time as I thought I would to build one so it is just easier to get the EL
  8. Offline

ctam1986 Chicken

Message Count:
    good luck man.
  9. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:
    thanks ctam im still gonna custom my exhaust sysytem and some exterior work as well ill post pics when complete.
  10. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    what size is the ELP piping?
  11. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The proble lie in mounting the MAF sensor.
  12. Offline

rolla96dx New Member

Message Count:
    2.5 inch diameter piping is the size, for anyone interested.. 3" is to big, 2 inch is too small...
  13. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:

So would I have to get an adapter for the filter?? (most Filters are 3 inch dia.)??
    By the way guys I am leaning towards the custom CAI idea again but y'all will have to be patient while I'm making it. If it works and I get positive responses , I would be willing to produce a few more to sell to you guys (and gals) if people would be interested. Will keep everyone posted.
  14. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:
    Well got the first part I need: HKS Super Mega Flow Filter.
  15. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:
    Here is a site where you can buy the MAF adapter, is in aluminum.

www.ppeengineering.com/DIYSintake.htm

For me the biggest problem was finding someone to do the piping in aluminum so I did mine in regular steel piping. The best diameter is 2.5in since you have to bend the tubes a hole lot if you are not planning on moving the battery.
  16. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    how do you going to mold the MAF sensor? bought a cheapo ebay SRI and cut the part out?
  17. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks a lot for the link that helps me out big time.Yeah for the first version of the intake im not moving the battery.Instead I am going to test the potential of a cool/ram air intake system.I plan to buy a carbon fiber evo NACA duct from Cerious Performance http://store.wspisp.net/ceriousperf...tail.bok?no=347 and I will utilze it to help feed air directly in the intake.Thats also why im selling that weapon-r intake so I can have more $$ to build this intake.
  18. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    Uness your installing a fuel management system to compensate for the pipe diameter change, stick with 2.5". If you relocate your battery to the trunk, you can make an easy one. Just cut the bend off an eBay intake and couple a 2.5" L bend exhaust pipe to the end. Trim the end of it to fit the filter in the wheel fender, and voila.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  19. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:
    Hey vamp what was the length of cables you had to get to relocate the battery?? decided that relocating battery a lot easier then cutting my hood so I have the battery box and a optima redtop cell. Oh btw the intake might be done by the end of july. Been busy with trying to start school...finally.
  20. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    can NE body tell me what the hell is that thing with 2wires in vamps pics by his intake pipe?
  21. Offline

j-rolla02 Guest

Message Count:
    its a catchcan I believe
  22. Offline

10R New Member

Message Count:

For the price of that adapter and welding it on to stock tubing, you can buy a cheap ebay SRI for 01-02 corollas for less than that and then either cut it up, or add on extra tubing to make it to your liking. I have a "Bomz" SRI I got from ebay on my 2001 prizm and I want to add extra tubing to convert it to a CAI with the filter located in front of the exhaust manifold, just lower to the ground. I've always seen CAI's running next to the fender and having to relocate the battery, so I'd at least like to try my idea and see how it pans out.