1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Custom 93-97 grill ... finally!

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by milhousse, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Offline

milhousse C U in the car

Message Count:
    Custom 93-97 grill ... finally!

Alright. Finally going to post some pics on what I have done to my grill. Got started on this a couple days ago, been distracted with other things so it took longer than I wanted.
    Started by doing to obvious, using a dremel with a cutting wheel to take all the cross parts and large toyota emblem off. Made those nice and flush.
    Then in the middle part, where there was the big hole, just put some wire mesh across it, reinforced it on the back with a piece of plastic (taken from the scraps taken out of the cross parts in the middle), and glued that in.
    about 7 or 8 very light layers of bondo, lots of sanding in between with 80 grit.
    After everything was filled in nice, I sanded it down with 180, and then worked my way up to 400 wet. Just finished shooting a coat of primer on it. let me know what you guys think.
    Still not sure how I am going to attach the gutter mesh at the end so that it is solid.....

After cutting it all
    [IMG]

front shot before any bondo or sanding.
    [IMG]

After all the bondo was on and sanded
    [IMG]

Literally 2 minutes after shooting a third LIGHT coat of primer (sanding in between!)
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG][/img]
  2. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    looking good man
  3. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    hey, nice job! looks even better than mine.
  4. Offline

milhousse C U in the car

Message Count:
    It was reinforced from the back with steel mesh and plastic piece on the back of that, so that at the most it was only the thickness of the plastic that was filled in.
  5. Offline

PSyChO cHilD Guest

Message Count:
    Not bad there hero, did you just use bondo or did you use fiber resin, and some steel plates. b/c you know that more then an 1/8 of an inch of bondo will crack over time. Just curious, either way, looks great man!
  6. Offline

yellow rolla New Member

Message Count:
    i did my old grill like that, i used fiberglass n resin to cover the holes after a lil bondo and sanding it was great after one year of sun some lil lines appeared where the lines of the cutout where, no cracks and barely noticeable but it just happens, either way, it looked great like urs
  7. Offline

sting Guest

Message Count:
    nice work, far off better than mine...
  8. Offline

Zach New Member

Message Count:
    Did you use a gun or a rattle can to prime that? If you plan on using auto paint later you will have to sand all that primer back off if it's a rattle can job :(
  9. Offline

azn_romeo Guest

Message Count:
    hey im learning how to do that stuff im only 16, broke....no money to have sumelse do it lol what materials did you use, and to fill in that shit i dont know dont make fun of me im stupid
  10. Offline

milhousse C U in the car

Message Count:
  11. Offline

azn_romeo Guest

Message Count:
    sry im new, didnt see this eariler my bad