1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Cupping/uneven tire wear

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by CaptainCorolla, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Offline

CaptainCorolla Thread Captain

Message Count:
    Cupping/uneven tire wear

My tires wear unevenly, the front more than the rear. The outside edges wear more than anything else, and the insides slightly.

What should I do to fix the problem? I had a 4 wheel alignment done about 2 months ago, but I am not sure if I had this problem before or after the alignment. The alignment was not done by Toyota, however I trust the shop that did the work.

I have been told the alignment is only part of the story in this case. I have also been informed that if my tie rods or ball-joints are off that I would also have this problem.

Toyota insists I should get an alignment from them and then they will also inspect the ball-joints and tie rods.

My car had moderate front end damage about two years ago. It wasn't enough to damage anything under the car or structurally, just asthetically (bumper, hood, panels etc).

PLEASE advise.... Toyota's alignment is about $100, plus $85 to check tie-rods/ball joints. Toyota states the tie-rod/ball joint inspection isn't useful if they can't also check the alignment. They seem overly convinced that their alignment will fix everything. I know a lot of folks HATE toyota, but the fact is, while their prices may suck, I trust the work they do.
  2. Offline

sddynamix Taybo Masta

Message Count:
    Same thing happening on my 2000 CE, let me know what you find out.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    What kind of tires do you have? Mine are Goodyear, someone told me they are notorious for doing that. I'm thinking I may just buy some rims and wheels and have them align and balance everything, kinda start over. Good excuse to buy some rims, ya know?
  4. Offline

sddynamix Taybo Masta

Message Count:
    i've got bridgestone potenzas. i'm planning on getting some rims soon w/toyo proxes 4's.
  5. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Tires wear, but any tire that is mounted and aligned properly shouldnt wear unevenly.

That front end accident could have knocked the camber out.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    It was an alignment issue. Toyota took one look and immediately knew what it was. But, since I just had the alignment fixed, no need to get additional work done, cost $0
  7. Offline

JCturbo 9THGEN GURU

Message Count:
    wasn't there a recall/or TSB on 8th gen front Struts? My dad got his replaced for free when his front end wore out tires in less than 10k miles
  8. Offline

CraigW New Member

Message Count:
    I have looked over most of the TSBs for the 00 Corolla, They added "plate washers" to the fronts top 3 strut bolts/nuts (the ones in the engine compartment) and to the lower 2 bolts as well.

They made a change to the rear strut upper mount as well.