1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine could this work?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by jiggaman725, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Offline

jiggaman725 the black guy

Message Count:
    could this work?

I've got a 98 LE and I recently ran into some trouble with the law and need to replace my exhaust...I am obviously gonna get the TRD muffler since it's basically the only one that's actually legal. I know there's a guy selling his on here buy he hasn't responded in forever so I was looking on ebay and found this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7955876159&category=33633&sspagename=WDVW

it's for the 9th gen (03+) but I was wondering since my flanges are gone and it has to be welded anyway, would this one work with my system? and would it still be legal?
  2. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    i dont see why it wouldnt work, if anything u can just tell em to weld u new pipes, take the muffler and put it on your pipes
  3. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    it wont work, mufflers r differ in sizes, so fitment will be way off and they make carb #s for a certain year(s) and model, so that wont work w/ the law either
  4. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    It's probably the noise issue..and that's the muffler, so I don't see why it wouldn't be legal..

However, the muffler tip drops down; in a 98-02, wouldn't you have to cut the bottom out of something to make it fit properly? My tip comes straight out, and there's not much room between it and the bumper..
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    i mean u can make that exhaust fit, but the tip is gonna stick down kinda far (farther than the 98-02 trd muffler, plus the 03+ trd is ugly as hell on the 03s and will look even worse on a 98-02, but if u did do it, it wouldnt be legal cuz trd had it carb approved for the 03+ corolla, so the carb # is set for that and same w/ the 98-02 trd muffler...only for those years. i'd hold out and wait for a 98-02, way better looking and legal
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    u cud get a muffler with a removable silencer
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    i think he needs a CARB approved exhaust
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    so the problems werent with sound issues?
  9. Offline

jiggaman725 the black guy

Message Count:
    i've already got a silencer for my exhaust now...it's not about the sound at all. i just want something that's considered legal so i don't keep getting fined for having an illegally modified exhaust.