1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Cosmo racing underdrive pulley?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Wheee, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Offline

Wheee Guest

Message Count:
    Cosmo racing underdrive pulley?

Does anyone have experience with Cosmo Racing's underdrive pulley?

http://cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=202&pid=811

I'm mainly concerned about the quality and longevity of the product. The price is so much less than Unorthodox Racing's pulley ($55 versus $200) that I'm sceptical about whether it's really a worthwhile investment. I have no qualms about Unorthodox's quality.

Thanks guys.
  2. Offline

XS PSI New Member

Message Count:
    never heard of them. I always live by the saying "u get what u pay for"
  3. Offline

Wheee Guest

Message Count:

Some considerations would be the alloy used for making the pulley, and whether its anodized. Anodizing can improve surface durability quite a bit. See, these two points would directly impact the price of the product. The precision of it, though, is something that I think would be a given even with a "cheap" product. An imprecise product, especially a crank pulley, would probably run rough or chew up your belt in short order. I'm not sure someone like Cosmo Racing would sell such a product. Hence, I'm not so concerned about the tolerances and balance of it. But, maybe I'm assuming too much.
  4. Offline

byecop01 Guest

Message Count:
    how could an underdrive pulley be poor quality?
  5. Offline

XS PSI New Member

Message Count:
    The pulley needs to be perfectly balanced and made specific to the car or else it will cuz uneccesary vibrations which will cauze damage to the crank and rods.
  6. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    I know that unorthodox pulleys is one of the good pulleys and provide gains of 5 to 12 HP and 4 to 8lbs.-ft. on normally aspirated engines,but i didnt hear anything about cosmoracing product if they are good and make alot of horsepower gains.
  7. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    <a href="http://www.performancecenter.com" target="_blank">www.performancecenter.com</a>
  8. Offline

byecop01 Guest

Message Count:
    you have to look at what n/a engines they are pulling hp claims from. you wont see a 12 hp jump in power off an under drive crank pulley on a corolla. im sure the pulley is safe and precise. it wasnt made by hand