1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Corolla XRS review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FaisalCorollaS, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Corolla XRS review

To drifters (the kind that slide cars around tracks, not the ones who come into town on freight trains) there's no more revered icon than the "AE86," which was known over here as the 1985 to 1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S. With rear-drive, a solid rear axle, minimal curb weight, and a multi-valve 1.6-liter four in its nose, it's a car that wants to be driven sideways. But the history of the Corolla since then has been one of steadily diminishing performance aspirations and steadily increasing utilitarianism. With the new Corolla XRS, Toyota finally tries to retrieve some street cred and it's the most satisfying Corolla sold in America since the AE86.

To quote ourselves when this generation Corolla was introduced, "if Toyota really wants to attract more young buyers to the brand, they need to bring back more than just a single four-door body style in three modest trim levels to the market. How about an S sedan with the 180-horsepower engine and six-speed manual transmission they're offering in the Matrix XRS and Celica GT-S to start?" Well, that's pretty much exactly what the XRS is.

Corolla Outside, Celica Inside
    The current Corolla is basically a mini-Camry. In fact it's not even all that mini as, at 178.3-inches long, it's exactly the same length as original 1983 Camry. Available only as a four-door sedan, it's solid (like a Camry), staid (like a Camry), it's front-drive (like a Camry), extremely well built (like a Camry).

The Corolla sells well in base CE, slightly luxurious LE and slightly sporty S trim and all three perform about identically since they're all powered by the same 1.8-liter, all-aluminum, DOHC, 16-valve four equipped with Toyota's VVT-I variable valve timing system. Making 130-horsepower, it's not a bad powerplant and generally comparable to those in the mainstream Honda Civic and Nissan Sentra models. Whether backed by a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic, the engine is a fine companion, but never an exciting one.

On the outside there's little that distinguishes the XRS from the S (grille texture, larger five-spoke wheels and 195/55R16 Michelin Pilot Primacy tires are the big things), but the car in fact has a completely different heart: A new 170-horsepower version of the 2ZZ 1.8-liter, DOHC, 16-valve, engine used in the Celica GT-S. While this engine shares nominal displacement with the one used in other Corollas it is in fact a completely different beast and it features the VVTL-i system that includes variable valve lift alongside variable timing.

Toyota lopped ten horsepower off the 180-horsepower rating the 2ZZ carries in the Celica and Matrix in order to improve torque through the low- and mid-range in the Corolla. The torque peak now occurs at 4400 rpm instead of the 4800 rpm it does in the Celica. But this is still no V-8 with the peak 127-pound feet of torque actually down three from the 130-pound feet in the Celica. Beyond that the ordinary 130-horsepower Corolla makes its peak 125-pound feet of twist at an even lower 4200 rpm.

As in the Celica and Matrix, the 2ZZ is wed to a six-speed manual transmission and its throws are both short and precise. Unfortunately engaging reverse brings with it (as in the Celica) an annoying warning beeper.

Keep the simmering 2ZZ below 6000 rpm and the XRS drives like any other Corolla. It's only past 6000 rpm, as the engine heads to its 8400-rpm redline, that it begins to wail. This is smooth engine that loves to rev more like the K20 in the Acura RSX Type-S. And it's no less fun to open this Toyota's throttle than that Acura's - even though it gives up 30-horsepower.

According to Toyota the Corolla XRS will waltz from 0 to 60 in less than eight seconds and low-sevens feels right. But drop out of the sweet spot between 6000 and 7600 rpm and the acceleration curve flattens instantly. This is a quicker Corolla, but it's not a particularly easy car to keep on the boil. If you want brainless speed, buy a Mustang or Corvette.

Under It All, It's All Better
    There's nothing earth-shaking about the XRS's suspension. The suspension is dropped a half-inch from other Corollas and there are increased rate coils and shocks at each corner, so the XRS sticks better. The ride penalty is slight too, but the steering could be quicker and more rear roll stiffness would delay the transition into understeer. The four-wheel disc brakes come with ABS standard, work well and don't fade much barreling down mountain passes.

Simply put, the Corolla interior is the nicest of any economy car's. And the XRS interior is even better with perfectly shaped front seats under a loose-weave cloth upholstery, a neat three-spoke steering wheel wrapped in cowhide, electro-luminescent gauges and neat metallic-like trim. It's also roomy. There are larger, more expensive cars that would be better if they had this interior.

There's no doubt that the XRS is the best Corolla even though it lacks the cutting edge of an AE86, robust torque production of big-engine competition like the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V or competition pedigree of a Subaru WRX. It's also a bargain with prices starting at $17,455. That's just $2730 more than a Corolla S and $3775 more than a base Corolla CE.

2004 Toyota Corolla XRS
    Base price: $17,455
    Engine: 1.8-liter in-line four, 170 hp
    Drivetrain: Six-speed manual, front-wheel drive
    Length x width x height: 178.3 x 66.9 x 57.4 in
    Wheelbase: 102.4 in
    Curb weight: 2600 lb (est.)
    EPA City/Hwy: 25/32 mpg
    Safety equipment: Dual front airbags
    Major standard equipment: AM/FM/CD player, tilt steering wheel, 60/40 split rear seat
    Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles
  2. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    Sounds good. But those still aren't astounding numbers.
  3. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    You mean acceleration?? Low sevens sounds pretty good. I drove it on the freeway last weekend. I am not a good manual driver, but an excellent 6 speed manual driver can get 7 second flat out of this car. That is faster than the Scion TC and Matrix XRS and atleast as good as the Nissan Sentra Spe V. Although, the best testing numbers are published by Car and Driver magazine. :)
  4. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    true. any manual comes down to the driver. hmm i will have to check that magazine out.
  5. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, car and driver magazine generally has the best road test report. Have to wait and see what they have to say about it.
  6. Offline

2k1wingless S Guest

Message Count:
    When I first saw this I said all right a Rolla that has some balls and will handle right off the showroom floor. Then I saw you have to run it on premium fuel and that crushed the whole dream. Commuting 120 miles a day the extra .20-.30 per gallon would be compounded by less mileage as well. I guess when this one wears out it'll be another S or Matrix with the 130 horses under the hood.
  7. Offline

Bishop4695 New Member

Message Count:
    So where did you actually see this XRs because I was told it was not even out yet ?
  8. Offline

ChristianVA New Member

Message Count:
    a three year warranty damn. what ever happend to 5! doesnt matter we gonna void it any way! lol
  9. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    It has been out for a while. Most of the dealerships have it, but it might depend down in the US where some states do not have the XRS on lot yet.

10. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    There are many different components of warranty. Your powetrain components are covered for 5 years, which includes engine, transmission etc. whereas, your general workmanship related stuff etc. is covered for 3 years. Although, you can always buy some extended warranty.

11. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    trust me buy the extra warranty people
  12. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:

They're out, Only select dealerships have them though. One dealership by my house has had one for 2 weeks. I went to another dealership nearby, and they won't have one til July. It is pretty much based on sales.