1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Corolla 2002 turbo proyect

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by LoSx, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    rising rate fuel pressure regulater isnt exactly the right way... if you want the right way youd go full out new engine management system new injectors nuel fuel rail. make the system return and add a 1:1 rising regulator to keep the injector pressure to be constant!

HOWEVER there are many other ways and its just as safe to keep the system as returnless and add more fuel through a piggy back and injecotrs etc etc
  2. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:
    Corolla 2002 turbo proyect

So I want to make my 2002 corolla turbo. My main concern is the fuel system since is a returnless fuel system. I been looking at a few setups with Honda Civics but I think that setup will not work for me because of the fuel system. What way should I go? I was looking at buying a secundary fuel pump and an Aeromotive Digital FMU to increase the fuel preasure but that is a bit expensice. What other way can I use to increase fuel preasure under boost?
  3. Offline

wukong Banned

Message Count:
    im confused. "returnless" fuel system? What is that exactly? Not sure i understand what the difference between getting fuel in a corolla or civic. Even if it returns or not. Your engine still gets fuel...as long as the gas tank has gas in it :D
  4. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Depends on how you want to do it - if you want to do it right, you want to use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. That case, you'll need to lose the OEM returnless fuel system, add a return line, a different fuel rail and a manifold-referenced fuel pressure regulator. Not trivial to do - but you will be happier in the long run.

You are right to be concerned because the OEM returnless fuel system is designed for "on-demand" fuel delivery. OK with stock induction - go with turbo/supercharger - you'll need to be able to boost fuel pressure better to stay on the safe side.

There are "black box" methods around this - and many have gotten it to work very well - though there are sometimed bogging, or lean running conditions, or knocking problems that might crop up from time to time (just drive around those problems). A stand-alone engine management system is highly recommended - in addition to fuel and timing control, you need to find out if the valve timing needs closed-loop control (known cam timing for adjustment to the VVT-i solenoid signal to compensate for changes in oil pressure and temperature). Pretty sure Toyota VVT-i and VVTL-i need this. Sytems like a Motec, Autronic, and AEM should be able to do this, but probably never designed to do. Eventually you should see programming available to make full power with VVT-i and the VVTL-i in the 2ZZ-GE.
  5. Offline

superpilun Guest

Message Count:
  6. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for all the information. Where can I get a new fuel rail from? Would one from a 1997 corolla work? What injectors would I use? I am planning not to boost past 6psi. What about leaving the fuel presure constant at a desired fuel presure since the fuel system that it has now has a constant fuel presure, but of ourse a presure that would be needed for 6psi.
  7. Offline

superpilun Guest

Message Count:
    uh constant fuel pressure under all conditions? hahaha are you serious?