1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Confused with Amps..

Discussion in 'Interior' started by TravisB, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Offline

TravisB New Member

Message Count:
    Confused with Amps..

I'm looking around trying to figure out what I might want for a stereo system, and I am having trouble figuring all this out. Too many numbers :D

Anyways, say I were to get this subwoofer: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-DcMhqOHtfXo/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67700&I=1081203DVC&o=p&a=0

Ok, what kind of amp would I need to power it? I'm assuming a 300 x 1 at 4Ohms, right? If that is the case, why not just get a 300 x 1 at 2Ohms and wire the subwoofer into 2Ohms. If that is even possible.

Just a wondering mind that can't figure how much power is really needed :D
  2. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    You basically have three choices:

1) Get a mono amp rated at 300 (or less) Watts into 2 ohms and wire the voice coils in parallel. This is the cheapest solution, but amplifiers aren't very linear when driving low impedances, so distortion tends to increase. I'ts not really a significant issue with subwoofers though.

2) Get a mono amp rated at 300 (or less) Watts into 8 ohms and wire the voice coils in series. This will give the best quality, but you're looking at a pretty large (and expensive) amp. An amp capable of delivering 300 W into 8 ohms could probably deliver about 1000 W or more into 2 ohms.

3) Get a stereo amp rated at 150 Watts (or less) per channel into 4 ohms and wire the voice coils individually to the stereo outputs. Do not get the phases mixed up! You also run the risk of having the coils fight each other a little bit if the gain and phase of the amplifier channels aren't exactly the same. I would not recommend this choice.