1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Coilover help

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by Unique102, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Offline

Unique102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Coilover help

So, I just bought D2 coils for my 1997 Corolla. They look great and seem to have a decent reputation. I know that the fronts are different from the back but I am wondering if the two fronts are different? I installe the fronts yesterday with the same measurements for ride height but when I lowered the front, the driver side was about a half inch lower. What could cause this? I compared the stock struts and they are the same lenght. Are the fronts right and left specific? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    The 7/5 kg spring rates are factory setting and still aren't stiff enough to prevent the driver's side from sagging due to the transmission weight + driver weight. There's nothing you can do except raise the driver's side half an inch to compensate or order stiffer spring rates. No worries though. I had go through the same thing corner balancing my car when I installed my coilovers as well.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    That's great thank you. I was hoping I didn't do anything wrong. I suspected that was the issue but thought it was too "obvious". Thanks for clearing that up.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    No problem. Just to let you know, you might have to adjust the height several times while the springs are still settling. The trick is to just drive on them how they are for a month and then readjust the height before getting it aligned.
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    yea, I was expecting that...I heard coils take a while to get set right. Do you have any suggestions for camber for the front? I'm getting an allignment this weekend and am not sure what to tell them to set it to as I have pillow ball mounts with adjustable camber plates.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    My camber is slightly negative. Probably only 1 or 2 clicks if I remember correctly. Alignment shops won't touch your adjustable camber. That you will have to set yourself. It's their policy unless it's a true tuner shop.
  7. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    since i never do any align in my life when lowering my cars,i was wondering if when you adjust the height do you have to align it?if you do is it better off buying a drop springs?
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Every time you change the ride height, the suspension geometry chances, so yes. You need to align. Lowering springs are non-adjustable so you only need to align once. Coilovers you can change, so you'll need more alignments if you like to chance your ride height a lot. It's a worthwhile inconvenience though imo.
  9. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    you basically set it to a height you can live with, get a alignment and leave them be.

also I never had a problem with shops not touching my camber plates. It's probably because I usually go to shops that does alignment for modified and race cars.