1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Cluster Gauge Busted?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by ChicagoCruise, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Cluster Gauge Busted?

Hey guys, So I messed up this time = /. I was wondering if someone could ease my headache. Would be much appreciated.

I installed my HIDs and then took the glove box out to disable the DRLs.

I believe i did everything right, disconnected the light module from its lever located above the glove box, and than dis attached it from its wire component. I than cut pin 23, the red wire with a blue stripe on it. Reconnected it to the Light module box, placed it back on its lever, and put everything back.

I successfully disabled my DRLs, but now my cluster guages dont work. My gas, speed, temp, even mileage indicators are all down but they do light up.

I made sure none of the other wires were cut and that everything was connected properly.

They were definitely working prior and I can't my head around what I did wrong.

I didnt ground the wire I cut, could that be it? Any one have a similar problem? Could I have blown my fuses? My music was on while i was working.
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I would check your fuses. that's a major relay box so leaving the battery attached while doing it isn't a good idea
  3. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    So awesome day today,

my alternator also blew out and i was driving with literally no electrical power in the car. My stroke of luck, is that the battery had enough juice to start on the way to work and accumulate enough energy to make it back.

Its pretty funny all the lights in the car were flickering on and off as they kept losing power.

And while changing it I did check the fuses and one was blown, My cluster is now working again. Thanks guys!
  4. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Good to know it was just a fuse or two and not something else more involving. I hate trying to trace electrical shorts or draws
  5. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    Changing the alternator is pain in the butt. My alternator blew this summer and it took my friend (a licensed mechanic) an whole hr to replace it.

EDIT: Oops, I mixed it up, it should be the starter not the alternator, my bad. :p
  6. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Wow .. Thats sounded scary :)