1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Chop up those Oil Filters!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by WebMasta33, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Offline

WebMasta33 Guest

Message Count:
  2. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    damn so our oil filer is shitty then huh.

btw wat kind do u use?
  3. Offline

WebMasta33 Guest

Message Count:
    Mobile 1 oil and a Mobile 1 filter
  4. Offline

vanion2 Guest

Message Count:
    No joke. After seeing all these oil filters you wonder what's really worth the money out there? It seems the Bosch had the best construction all around. The K&N appeared similar but had no SAE rating.

As for myself, I have usually used the Fram filter. I guess I will have to see how much the Bosch runs. :wink:
  5. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    hope that and the toyota one are not similar
  6. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    After reading thru that thread, I'm gonna search thru my list of parts suppliers for a Bosch filter.
  7. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    From a thread on that same forum:
    Read thread here.

Posted by "TC" Member #2444

"As others have pointed out, they're (Mobil 1) good filters but not worth the steep price. At one time they may have been unique in their overall package, but others now match Mobil 1 at half the price. PureOne and Baldwin (just to name two) offer very fine filtration as well, Mobil 1's claim to fame. M-1's do have thick cans (0.0175" thick sheet metal), comparable to K&N. But this is of no great significance unless your filter is unusually exposed to road debris.

Most significantly, one doesn't necessarily get a large filtration area with Mobil 1. In the recent Overboost.com test of Honda filters, Mobil 1 came in 7 out of 9 in terms of area. Only the Bosch and Fram had LESS area. The OEM Honda filter had 121 sq in, while M-1 had 99 sq in...yet M-1 was TWICE as expensive. It's clear to me that, at $12/filter, Mobil 1 is selling their past reputation, rather than any current benefits one will realize at this steep price. These filters are Lincolns masquerading as Mercedes. Nice filters...but very overpriced. "
  8. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    I pay $22 for the TRD J-Spec filters (all red with white text). I wonder how these filters hold up.
  9. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    At $22, I could be buying two K&N's (or 4-6 Bosch filters)... I guess it's all a matter of what each individual is willing to spend.
  10. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    ahhhh! toyota filter sucks....is it too late for me to change to Mobil 1 oil and Mobil Oil Filter?...im at 12,000 miles
  11. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    It's never too late..
  12. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    where can i get the mobil oil filter?
    and whats the part # for it
  13. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    i would liek to knwo too :D
  14. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    if i cant find it, i may just end up buyin the TRD US version oil filter and give it a try
    coz i schuduled my car to have maintence service on Sat =)
  15. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    wahhhh this is weird for the past post i even posted a new topic about this and i felt stupid if i should use toyota filter for mobil 1 =( but then better late than never....

i will use my mobil filter left in the basement hehehe
  16. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    I don't get it. What am I missing. How can the effectiveness of a filter be measured by cutting it open and looking at the parts. Unless you happen to have an advanced degree in fluid dynamics and a fair bit of experience, cutting them open isn't going to tell you much. A little quantitative evidence is needed.
  17. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    I agree. Frankly, how do we know that the toyota filters were causing the sludging? Maybe the other filters were causing it. I'd hold back on making any conclusions until I can see results from independent tests that put oil through them. Most of the "flow restriction" stuff doesn't matter. It's not like the oil is quickly flowing through...it's more of a spashing around. Also, don't you think the auto manufacturer's filters could be more "engine specific"? Just a thought.
  18. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    As far as I can remember, the sludge problem was mostly limited to Toyota's more popular V6 engines, and was found to be a result of poor maintenance recommendations, when Toyota used to specify outrageously high oil change intervals for their customers, which has since been taken care of with a shorter, recommended oil change interval.
  19. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    I don't really think oil filters are designed with "flow" as a high priority. I'm sure all designs flow just fine. Oil can get into and through just about anything. The design has more to deal with trapping all of the impurities, and the toyota filter looks like it would allow less particles through.
  20. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    imo synthetic oils have a different characteristic.....

the stock toyota oil filter is for dino......

how a bout the synthetic oil? will the toyota oil filter
    be ok with the different oil character?

:wink:
  21. Offline

kwikrnu Guest

Message Count:
    I use fram X2 filters on my last 2 oil changes. They seem to work well, but another filter may work better or maybe not...
  22. Offline

PanChiFan Guest

Message Count:
    2 cents on filters and sludging

The 90915-yzza2 filter is definately not the only possible cause for the oil sludging issue. My first car was an 87 celica gt with the 3s-fe engine (4cyl) that fell prey to the infamous sludging problem. Up to that point I had always used Fram filters and changed the oil every 3 months or 3K, whichever came first. After dropping over $4000 into the dealer's pocket for a new short block, I used only toyota filters (incedentally, the same exact filter our cars use) and never had any other related issues till I sold the car.