1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Check engine @ 32K miles???

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by SolidSnake, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Offline

SolidSnake Guest

Message Count:
    Check engine @ 32K miles???

Well, my check engine light came on for the first time. I've got about 32K miles. I'll be going in tomorrow and have it checked out. I just hope they don't try to blame my CAI for anything (I've had it on for about a year and a half). I'll keep you guys posted on what the problem is.....Anyone have any pre-dealer visit suggestions for me?
  2. Offline

kwong2001 New Member

Message Count:
    You might go to a non-dealer and have them hook up their little computer to get the code. Then look it up yourself, just incase it could be your intake. Don't want to have to pay a whole bunch of money cuz of it.

I suspect it could just be a thing telling you to get the 30k mile check up.
  3. Offline

SolidSnake Guest

Message Count:
    just got back from the dealer--apparently, spark plug #1 misfired triggering the sensor to activate the check engine light. They reset the system, and told me it wasn't a big deal. All work was under warranty.

A funny side note is that the minute they popped my hood 2 tech guys come running back to the service manager who was talking to me at the time and tell him my engine is full of aftermarket parts and that I would have to agree to a $95 inspection fee should the cause of the problem be aftermarket part related. I told them that we'll talk after the problem is diagnosed.....the manager was cool and told them to see what the problem was first. After the diagnosis everything was cool.
  4. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    hehe...glad it wasnt a biggy...mines popped up also but went away byitself by the next day
  5. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    if you gut the cats, they come on for good...not fun :( trust me
  6. Offline

limp_noodle Guest

Message Count:
    hey guys i got an aem cold air intake and a custom catback exhaust....now i got that check engine light go on....but then it went away byitself..then went back on and now it doesnt seem like its going to go back out...it took about a week when the light went out and and so i decided to wait to see what happened...but seems like its going out....i took it to get diagnoste at Autozone for free and said it the problem was located near the cat or something...they told me the code number but cant find it right now....but its "P"something Bank 1....anyone have any ideas?
  7. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Id suggest for anyone with aftermarket parts to remove the parts before taking it to dealer. I think this could help with warrenty issues.
  8. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    Well if it set an SES, then it is a big deal because something isn't functioning correctly. Problems don't just go away by themselves. If that was true, we wouldn't need that many mechanics.

I would pull the #1 spark-plug and inspect it for any cracks, fouling etc. Also check the #1 spark plug wire and make sure it's properly connected and that there are no signs of wear (cracks).

If it's the O2 sensor, I would assume that it is the bank2 which is located after the cat. I'm assuming that because there could have been some kind of problem when your cat-back was installed.

Otherwise, bank 1 could also be attributed to the first O2 sensor or your KR sensor.

V2
  9. Offline

dns637 Guest

Message Count:
    HEY SOLID SNAKE!! Are those Enkei RSF-2 wheels??
    what size and tires?? thanks.
  10. Offline

SolidSnake Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, they're Enkei's, but off hand im not sure what type without going through some paperwork. I ride on 215/45/R17's Kuhmos.

My exp with the Kuhmos are that they are great in dry / wet conditions, but with even 1/2" of snow you will not be able to get out of the driveway.