1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Changed my CV axle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rolla88, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Offline

Rolla88 New Member

Message Count:
    Changed my CV axle

Finally I change my CV axles, but it took me 13 hrs. This has to be a record, I was fallowing the directions in the manual, but the book doesn't tell you that you have to remove the seals from the old CV axles and put them in the new ones. When I installed the new ones without the seals my tranny bled out. I went back to the auto parts and they told me that they have never seen CV axles come with those seals, so that auto part store referred me to another one and that auto part didn't have seals on the CV's either, but he did find out that the reason for that is that the seals kinda fused to the CV and made it look like its supposed to stay there, so he just chiseled it out and I put them on the new ones. For some reason its leaks a little bit but I don't know if its from the seals or just the residual from the bleed out still dripping. But yeah it was a very long day but it was worth it, I just hope that its not leaking. Up next shocks and springs, any suggestion on shocks and springs let me know
  2. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    they never came out with the cv shaft when i do it. Do it a few more times then it'll be a 1/2hr job.
  3. Offline

Rolla88 New Member

Message Count:
    Well I have to do it again cause its leaking through the dust shields, they told me its because they are probably bent from pulling them from the old ones, apparently the new ones don't come with them. Some of the guys told me that they should come with them, so I got to go to Napa or Dealership to get them and put them on. I hate leaks
  4. Offline

anguyen041 New Member

Message Count:
    how would you know when the CV axels are bad? I have this weird noise every time i brake, does that mean i have a bad one?
  5. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    If you hear a clicking noise when you're turning, that's usually an indication that your cv is bad. If you're making noise when you brake, it's most likely your brakes or loose suspension parts.