1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Tech Cellphone talk...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ares, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Cellphone talk...

So I read about the nokia N900 today... Hopefully it is not as shitty as the n97. I was really shot down by n97's underpowered processor and little ram. If T-mobile comes out with the n900 + $50 all-unlimited plan, Ill definitely get one of these.

I for 3 (or is it 4 already) years I have had the same shitty free nokia phone that does not even have an mp3 player or bluetooth or a decent camera. I need one that has interwebz access everywhere.

what cellphone do you use atm?
    what cellphone are you eyeing for tomorrow?
  2. Offline

whocares86 New Member

Message Count:
    I'm using a Dare right now on Verizon.
    I'm really into audio/video stuff, so I'm always on the lookout for a nicer camera.

Next year I'm due for an upgrade and i'm interested in the Casio Exilim or the Samsung Omnia HD which will supposedly be out soon, except it runs the crappy Windows Mobile, but I guess I can deal.

Rumor is Google might be putting a phone out on Verizon's network. Which would be awesome.

That's really the one thing that puts me off about Verizon...solid network...shitty phones, not to mention they cripple anything they get their hands on.

It doesn't bother me to the point that I would want to switch networks. I'll always take a better network over a flashy phone.
  3. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    atm? blech

On a serious note- Wife and I just got the new Blackberry Storm. Bye bye ATT and hello Verizon. I also have an old Blackberry for work, through T-Mobile.
  4. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    The Storm is awesome. If I had Verizon, that would be my only phone.

Most of the cameras on phones really suck period. Hence why I went with an unconventional phone with a 5.0 MP Manual focus camera.
    [IMG]
    LG KE990 Viewty I
    [IMG]
    It's already outdated now though since the Viewty II is out and has a 7.0 MP.

You might want to check out some HTC's as well. The Touch Pro is pretty nice.
  5. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    that does look sexy, but with all the crap in your pocket i wouldn't wanna carry that around unless i have a pouch. pouch look gay tho...
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    :superconf It fits in your pocket. It's smaller than an iPhone. It's the same with all phones. They're all around the same size.
  7. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    i mean the stuff in your pocket would scratch the lens. i.e. keys, coins etc...
  8. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    ^ Looks like there is a slider that might be a lens cover.

That size is also an issue for me. Most phones are thick. I just can't do thick. The last phone I had was a nokia 7210. It was about as wide as a credit card, a bit longer than a credit card and a tad thicker than the usual USB flash drive.

I absolutely loved that phone. It can play mp3's and had a decent 2mp camera. I was contented with that until I got the motorcycle. It would be nice to have internet access for weather/traffic alerts and maps.
  9. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Pantech C3b!!!:D

(same as this photo minus the orange cover...:biggrinki)
    [IMG]

Call and text... That's all I need.:)
  10. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i don't understand why people rely so heavily on a camera in a phone. the quality is completely sh!tty. i have an iphone although if i wasn't stuck to at&t i would probably have the mytouch. the iphone does do things great for what i use it for. i was looking at the blackberry, but i hate that little ball and when it came to text messages it's in a conversation versus individual messages.
  11. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    EYeing a HTC hero for Sprint. i have the money, i know what it can do, i think i'm just waiting for the second or third batch to come out. the use is a little on the choppy side but its way cooler than an iphone IMO
  12. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Quality is not as bad as you think. It's just convenient to have something to capture important "kodak" moments at times you dont bring your 2-ton dSLR.

I took these with my 2mp phone cam:
    [IMG]
    That was when I was on my PI vacation. Took the phone with me walking up a river. I swam with the phone, climbed 2 waterfalls, and phone turned on after it dried.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Most of the time with the right amount of light, the right distance, and a steady hand, phone pix can turn out great.
  13. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i don't always carry my dslr, but i will usually have my slim canon camera. camera phone quality is still horrible by the examples you posted. i can't stand the grainy pixelated photos.
  14. Offline

SD_S New Member

Message Count:
    Wow you have a Viewty too. That make two of us. I really like this phone for the 5mp quality plus you can change ISOs but I might move on to Sony Ericsson C905a with the 8mp and wi-fi.
  15. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    One can always make the picture smaller = no pixelation. Im just saying that cellphone camera (preferably >2mp) is better than no camera at all. A camera is made for taking pix, cellphone cam is just for convenience.
  16. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Motorola Dynatac 8000X

[IMG]

I also has a Motorola Q9H but that's not as cool
    [IMG]
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
  18. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    I prefer that

And you can talk from Blackberry to Blackberry (regardless of carrier) for free via the Messenger
  19. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    i'm using a BlackJack 2. best phone i've ever had. huge screen, great call quality, great battery life...i think i can get 2 weeks out of the battery if i don't use the phone much. the QWERTY keyboard also wins. i like all these new touchscreen phones, but i don't know if i'd be able to give up the tactile response of pressing an actual key.

those are cute and all, but the sound quality sucks. my friend had one for awhile and it drove her nuts.

i'm tempted to buy it off her for gym use, though...i would never buy it new, but used might make it worth it.

my point-and-shoot moves a lot faster than my cameraphone...and sometimes i really need that speed.
  20. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Blackberry Storm 2 is coming out within the next 2 weeks....
  21. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    Storm 2 is supposed to fix all the issues that the original storm had. It should also have wi-fi. Either way, I would still wait a few months after it is released to see some real reviews on that. I know a few people who got the Tour and were pissed about the build quality.

Typically all the bb news I get are from www.crackberry.com. They get alot of news about bb's. Not a bad place for software leaks, etc.
  22. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i was originally skeptical about not having a physical keyboard, but it only took a couple days to get used to it. my wife and i do about 3600 message a month.
  23. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    "Honey, Im home!"
    "Im in the kitchen"
    "Hey sweetie- whens dinner?"
    "Will be ready in a few minutes"
    "Awesome, Im starving."
    "Dinner time- everyone at the table!"
    "This looks great"
    "Thank you! How was your day?"
    "Same ole same ole....traffic sucked. Want to watch a movie later"
    "Sure, that would be great!"

All without opening your mouth:rolleyes:
  24. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    Our work schedules don’t exactly align to be able to call and communicate verbally. She’s a nurse, so she’s not always available to talk on the phone and I am not always available to be on the phone with my schedule. Text messages are great because she can send me questions and I can respond when I have time and vice versa. Twitter also accounts for some of the 1600 message we send and received. And we don’t eat dinner except on weekends, so those messages don’t really apply.
  25. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:

Lol.

My wife is a L+D nurse (working towards getting into midwife work) as well. I know it.
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    jesus.

i never go over 200 messages.
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Well I can understand the sheer number as they do add up. However, I just extremely limit myself to texting. It's tempting though since it's so quick and easy to type a msg on my phone.
  28. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    she wants to do L+D, but she still needs to take the extra classes for it. luckily, the hospital pays for the education.

it has to do with the work schedules. one thing positive about the touch screen though is that my thumb stopped hurting with the iphone. i guess physically pushing the button was making my thumb area sore.
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    yeah...i get that. it still wouldn't work with me. :) i'm usually a tad too busy at work to sit and text.