1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Celica ECU

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by CorollaGT, May 5, 2010.

1. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Celica ECU

Sooo somewhere in all these threads I read that to achieve a higher red line in my 98 corolla without modding my stock ECU I could just swap it out with a Celica's ECU. Now I'm sure you all under stand if I'm feeling a bit sketch about this because I don't wanna blow my engine. I was wondering what year of Celica this ECU came from and if anyone else had done this.

Btw i accidentally put this in the show off section.. my bad..lol
  2. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    why in the name of fried bacon would you do such a thing?
  3. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    why would i do what? post it in the wrong section or put in the celica ecu in?
  4. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    you have to have an engine with vvti. your 98 corolla doesnt have vvti. it will work because ive seen people do it before. and you dont achieve a higher redline. you just get a little more power, maybe MAYBE 5 -10hp.

i think all it does is reformulate air/fuel ratio a little which you can do yourself.
  5. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    oh so i cant do it? not even with the celica right before they got vvti?
  6. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    in other words :D

care to share how the lack of MAF will make it work on a MAP 1zz-fe?
  7. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    no, unless you have a 1zz w/ vvti. the ones before the celicas got the 1zz's were using 7a-fe i think....so their ecu is completely different.
  8. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Sooo if i had an engine with vvti which year of celica ECU would i use?
  9. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    rthe ones with the 1zz
  10. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    higher red line doesn't mean you will go faster or get more horsepower.
  11. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    If you wanted to push the redline - I would skip the Celica ECU and go with a programmable piggyback EMS. You have more options to play with and can take advantage of future upgrades. Tossing on a Celica ECU to get higher redline is a battle of diminishing returns. Even if one was given to you for free - I'd turn around and sell it to put toward an EMS box.

There is a reason for why there is a difference between the Corolla's redline vs the Celica's (7th gen) redline. Celica has slightly improved breathing and takes advantage of a different air/fuel map, sports larger valves, and has less reciprocating mass to deal with. If you have built up your motor - then I could see this as being a logical progression in mods. Doing this on a stock engine (hopefully manual transaxle) will not yield tangible results.
  12. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    I see. Well I'm not going to ask where i can find these because that would be stupid.. But i will ask if you know of someone that has done this, and how much did it cost. Also how much of an improvement did this do for performance and if its even worth it. I do have a built engine but i am also very careful with it.
  13. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    Greddy Emanage is a good one. I think they run about 200 dollars....and then you can pay someone to program it, or do it yourself.
  14. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Why wold you want to do this to a corolla..?
  15. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    Yes, but how do you hook it up? Do they make a wiring harness specifically for the Corolla?
  16. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    the only way I've seen it, and it's very ghetto-y

is, make the stock ecu go check engine light, then tweak away on the eManage...
    but I'm pretty sure there are better ways
  17. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    im sure they do, lots of people running boost have emanage...even people who use it for NA tuning use emanage.
  18. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Depends on the mods that you have. Everyone has a different interpretation of a "built" engine. For mods like increased compression, p&p, i/e/h, aftermarket or bored out TB, aggressive cams, etc. - running an EMS system will make significant gains / make sure you keep the engine "safe". For forced induction projects - supercharger/turbocharger - a separate (piggyback or standalone) is a requirement.

Hard to put numbers on a modified engine, as the gains )or losses) will depend on the mods at hand. Example with a perfectly stock engine - not unusual to unlock 5-10WHP with just an EMS. The factory settings are geared toward long engine lifespan and have a built-in safety "cushion" so to speak. In that regard, the OEM tune tends to run the engine super rich - leaning that out will help make more power, provided you constantly monitor conditions and correct or shutdown the engine in the event of possible engine damage.

Bolt ons and EMS systems have even more variability - some mods do not completement each other and can produce disappointing results. I've seen just an intake and tune on a S2000 add 20WHP and just a muffler upgrade add 15WHP on an otherwise stock engine, but add the two together, even with extensive tuning - ended up loosing 3WHP compared to stock setup.

Is it worth it? That is a $10,000 question - it depends on you. You could have an easy $600+ in an installed EMS system plus tune - and potentially see 10-15WHP gain with appropriate mods. Quite significant for a small displacement engine, but if you add up everything that was spent - could be looking at a significant chunk of money for those HP gains.

The manufacturer does not - but tuning shops and a few enterprising individuals have made harnesses available to our community. Most of the ones I've seen through larger online retailers cater to the 9th gen and newer Corollas and 2ZZ-GE crowd. Typically run in the $200-$300 price range, due to the amount of labor involved in cranking these harnesses out. But for that cost, effectively making these units plug and play.
  19. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Okay that was pretty much all i needed to hear. it would be pretty much a waste of money for me cuz i dont have much of it and the horse power gain would be close to insignificant for the money spent. Thank you for the information :)
  20. Offline

FolkenStrategos Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    +1

There is A LOT more information that you should know about higher redlines than what is posted, but in summary, if you aren't willing to spend big money on the car, it won't do you any good.
  21. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    what im wondering is how you did it...
  22. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    You could always look at it as a potential learning experience - but if you have have bills to pay or could use the money elsewhere, then I would wholeheartedly shelve this idea for now.

You could get as much gain by stripping the car of excess weight and running lightweight wheels. Every 100lbs of static weight lost is quivalent to an extra 5-10HP. Weight reduction in unsprung and rotating mass would be effect a much higher gain in effective HP.

For a Corolla, I would start on suspension and brake mods before I play with the engine. A quality set of lightweight wheels, good tires, high performance street brake pads, quality spring and struts - can elevate the car's ride to a completely different level. No sense pushing speed if the rest of the chassis is not able to take advantage of that gain.
  23. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Which its what i will do. 600 dollars for 10 hp is pretty insignificant. i have stripped my car down quite a bit but i have yet to take out stuff like AC and my cruise control.. I like my AC for the summer :D but the cruise control may go. i have to find out how to do that. i do have to get some light weight rims.. I'd like to get some Rota Slip Streams.
    My suspension is decent. but i wanna get some nice struts cuz the ones i have now bottom out alot..
  24. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    I'm fairly certain taking the AC out of a corolla won't do much difference. Someone here did it a while back and it was not worth it.
  25. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Shut up movie
  26. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
  27. Offline

Milky Enlarged Member

Message Count:
    wont give a higher redline... BWHAHA. so much misimformation. i blast my little 1zz to 7000 daily. takes it like a champ and spits fire like clock work. afr's look perfectly fine on the aem uego and ignition timing is well within check.
    Gold likes this.
  28. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
  29. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Fucking counter roast
  30. Offline