1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Cars Running Rich

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Grinder, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Offline

Grinder Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Cars Running Rich

Hey guys yesterday i went to my uncles place and we did a compression test on the engine cyl 1,2 and 3 all read 160psi and number 4 read 180psi. We also checked the plugs which were covered in black soot.They also smelt like petrol really bad how can i adjust the engine to run leaner. Engine mods so far are extractors and 2 inch exhaust with 1 resonator and canon muffler, pod filter and modded intake plenum.
    Any thoughts to what i can do, my uncle suggested some injector cleaner as he thought maybe the injectors were getting sticky and allowing more fuel into the motor.
    Any hep would be great.
  2. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    modding and modding a car messes up the default parameters of it,

for injector cleaning I run a can of seafoam in the gas tank... kiss your MPGs good bye for like... 2 refuelings, after that, unplug the battery and drive like always again.

the spark plugs, pull them out, soak them in gas for a minute and scrub them good... (better yet, buy new NGKs)
  3. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    check the timing. it might be too retarded. But I don't like the sound of those compression reading either. Are you sure you give each cylinder the exact number of cranks when you perform the compression test?
  4. Offline

Grinder Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    yer they each had about 7 cranks my uncle told me to stop when the pressure gauge stop moving. Ill have to get the timing looked at thanks for your help guys
  5. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    is your car acting funny/weird?if not i think thats normal for 4cly.