1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Car Paper Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dtrue, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Offline

dtrue Member

Message Count:
    Car Paper Work

so i bought a nissan 240sx but i lost the paperwork to transfer the car to my name and i was wondering if anyone would know how i could go about getting the paperwork for the car so i can put it in my name
  2. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    all depends on what state you live in, here (Colorado) you need a bill of sale signed by the other party, if you lost that your kind of SOL, unless you leave the car sit for a year declare it an abandoned vehicle pay like 60 bucks for a new title in your name and then its yours, either way its a hassle.
  3. Offline

dtrue Member

Message Count:
    im in california what if its already been sitting for year?
  4. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    I haven't actually tried that, but if it hasn't been registered in that year (thats the important part) you can't prove that its been sitting unless the reg has expired for at least a year, then I would talk to the DMV about it see what they say.
  5. Offline

dtrue Member

Message Count:
    well the tags expired in 06
  6. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    try it.. give the DMV a call see what they say about it... worst case scenario you have to get boll of sale from dude again
  7. Offline

dtrue Member

Message Count:
    That's the thing though I got the car from one of my best friends and he's the orignal person who bought it.
  8. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    what? your the buyer... so your buddy is the one that should give YOU the pink slip so you can turn it into the DMV.......... not the other way around
  9. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    how about you call the dmv and ask them? it would solve your issue a lot faster than getting opinions on other states.
  10. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    He never asked for an opinion from someone in a different state. It's not his fault that someone trying to help him happens to live in a different state, that's just how it happened.
  11. Offline

dtrue Member

Message Count:
    my buddy is the orignal buyer but he bought the car with no paper work which is a dumb idea i know that but i wasnt there when he bought it. and he gave me the car after a while cuz he didnt want it anymore so i said screw it how hard could it be to get the paperwork and apparently it seems a little hard lol
  12. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    ^^^ Ouch.

Legally, that could be seen as daccepting stolen property. No paperwork means no proof of ownership. Sounds like he just dumped his problems onto you.
  13. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    I think I heard in texas that you can file a lost title form etc and the car will be on probation for 5 years (more or less) and if no one claims the car it's yours. --- or something to that extent. Check your local dps, county etc.
  14. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    he's on a message board which reaches all over the world so he will get more answers by calling the california dmv because every state has a different process.

it could all be registration fees. california will collect on back registration if it wasn't registered properly. you need to call the dmv, no one here has the answer you need unless they work for the dmv which i don't think anyone does.
  15. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Well a lot of us are here in California, so chances are we could still help, considering we've all bought cars. (most likely)
  16. Offline

dtrue Member

Message Count:
    thats why i posted on a forum cuz i was like fuk it someone might have an answer lol. well i found out the car only had one owner
  17. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    As long as you get all the help we can give you, it's all good. Everything work out?
  18. Offline

dtrue Member

Message Count:
    not yet imma try and go to the dmv monday wasnt able to yesterday. im glad to find out the car only had one owner though and its never been in accident so thats a plus
  19. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    no one has provided any help. no one knows the real story so as i stated above he needs to call the dmv.
  20. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    That's why I was asking if it all worked out, because I figured he went to the DMV, since it's obvious he didn't get enough information on here to help him out. But thank you, Captain Obvious.