1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Car alarm LED replacement

Discussion in 'Interior' started by JspeXAE102, May 13, 2004.

1. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    get the one from varad.. 3 wires +12V, GROUND, GROUND when alarm is armed
  2. Offline

CaptainCorolla Thread Captain

Message Count:
    Car alarm LED replacement

Anyone know what voltage LED I need for my car alarm? It's a DEI (Viper clifford etc) and the resistor is built into the alarm brains, so in order to replace the LED "in-line" I would need an LED w/o a built in resistor. I guess I could also use the LED I have and just cut it off above the resistor (the LED I have is intended for direct 12v use, it has an in line resistor).
  3. Offline

Wyntahchyld The One & Only

Message Count:
    Matt, is there any light yer NOT going to be changing?
  4. Offline

jeprox Active Member

Message Count:
    i didnt replace mine, i added LED's to my alarm system with the ones they sell from radio shack. product # 273-309 wide angle red LED, 1.7v/20mA - 500mcd. i'm not very good with electronics but those are the numbers on the package. another thing is that i don't know if US radio shack would have the same product number.

i added mine "in-line" i think is the method you call it. i was told this method uses less power and the +/- don't matter so you can't really f*** anything up. the original LED have two wires and the LED from radio shack have 2 wires also. i just cut one wire from the original LED and hook up the 2nd LED with one wire at each end and there's my extra LED.
  5. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    they sell them on ebay in any color u can imagine.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Mike4831,
    that's where I bought mine (eBay) but it has a resistor in it to work w 12v, so I took that out, still no luck. But the product wasn't intended for alarm purposes...

Would I have better luck w this product?

eBay Blue LED auction

I think I would need to cut the led off above the black covertor/resistor/box in order to patch it directly into my existing alarm LED wires, correct?

THanks for all the response!
  7. Offline

Miguel Guest

Message Count:
    Straight up VW in 1st pic

[IMG]

LED Swap
    [IMG]
  8. Offline

corollinout New Member

Message Count:
    i wanna do the led on the stock alarm, and another thing

radio shack has the same number everywhere, i used to work for them
  9. Offline

CraigW New Member

Message Count:
    Most L E D s are any where from 1.5 to 3.1 volts they will handle a LITTLE more forward voltage but be careful. They will handle a reverse polarity under certain conditions but remember they can EXPLODE if too much reverse or foward voltage.

If you are REPLACING a diode you should have that approximate voltage at the L E D itself and should be able to get by without resistor.

Most high brightness L E D (not all) are just diodes that are working above rated voltage (they will work o.k. with shorter life)

use a aaa battery or two to experiment and determine polarity 1=1.5V 2=3.0V (top of one battery to bottom other + voltage at top - at bottom. There is a flat side on the diode and that is - lead.

CW
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Finally got it done. I got my LED from Fry's, Radio Shack (at least the one I was at) didn't carry the part I needed. It was $2, did the job well. It's actually a lot brighter than my stock LED, and it's a nice blue, almost purple. Car has really shaped up.
  11. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    thats good to hear.