1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Can you add a tweeter with a crossover to a coaxial speaker?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Ninety Four, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    Can you add a tweeter with a crossover to a coaxial speaker?

I see in Crutchfield that they sell stand alone tweeters and crossovers. If I wired these to a coaxial speaker, could I turn it into a component set, or would that not work?
  2. Offline

gnuT22 Guest

Message Count:
    Yes, you can do it. I did the same thing to my brothers 93 Rolla. He has some 5 1/4 " Fosgate speakers in the doors and wanted some more definition in his highs. So I installed a pair of Kenwood tweeters I had, near the door handle. They sound fine. Only thing is now, his speakers are running at 2 ohms. Are you going to be running the speakers off of an amp? What's your set-uo like??
  3. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    I was going to install a set of Type-R 5 1/4 components, but I'm thinking about selling them to a friend. I'm running 4" Boston Acoustics Rally fronts right now off of an Alpine MRV-340 4-channel amp. I think the Alpine does 55w in 4 ohm and 65w in 2 ohm, but can it do 2 ohm in the front and 4 ohm in the rear?

Thanks.
  4. Offline

yourownreality Guest

Message Count:
    No, using the crossover with a coaxial will change the freqencys that the coax will get. The crossover is meant for a midbass speaker that doesnt have an attached tweeter. The crossover will cutoff the upper frequencys that the coax tweeter would use.

You can get crossovers for the tweeters alone and that would be much more like a component.

partsexpress.com sells crossovers and parts to build you won as well.