1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Can swine flu be transported in beer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MovieSTAR, May 5, 2009.

1. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    Can swine flu be transported in beer?

drinking some tecate...and i was just wondering because it has a funny taste to it.
  2. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    omg, you might have swine flu :(

jk i have no idea.
  3. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I doubt it. I think the alcohol would kill it
  4. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    No. Although Mexico is where the swine flu originates, the factory lines have strict guidelines and pasteurization processes. That's why they say when in Mexico, only buy and drink bottled beverages, because they're sterile.

You're somewhat right with a few corrections. Viruses cannot be killed since they are never "alive". They're technically parasites dependent on a host cell for replication. Most viruses can be deactivated with alcohol easily. However some cannot.

"It's true that many viruses are readily inactivated by alcohol; but, some are not. Viruses consist of nucleic acid surrounded by a protein shell. Some viruses have an additional envelope. Generally, enveloped viruses are susceptible to alcohol: Herpes simplex virus (HSV), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), influenza virus (Flu), respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), vaccinia virus, Hepatitis B and C viruses are considered susceptible to alcohols. However, there are certain non-enveloped viruses such as hepatitis A and enteroviruses, which are both responsible for viral gastrointestinal infections. Depending on the alcohol concentration of a hand-cleanser and time of exposure to the alcohol, hepatitis A and other non-enveloped viruses may not be eliminated."

:)
  5. Offline

mochatron New Member

Message Count:
    Plus Tecate always tastes like crap anyways
  6. Offline

tsburt Active Member

Message Count:
    :wstupid
  7. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    bunch of hoopla over nothing
  8. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    What he said.

We went through the same panic about AIDS back in the 1980s and the world population did not die out.

We've been through the same hysteria over SARS, Avian Flu, West Nile Virus, and now Swine Flu.

A year from now it will barely be a footnote in history. :rolleyes:
  9. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    The H1N1 2009 Virus is soooooooooooo annoying now. I'm also sick and tired of people trying to edjumacate me with false information.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    H1N1 is actually a common seasonal flu virus. The swine flu is a slightly different variant of it that allows it to infect humans. It may cause serious symptoms, but rarely fatal. Mexicans just haven't gotten over this common flu that resurfaced. Talk about sanitation problems. As with all diseases, the most susceptible are the young and old. SARS(H5N1) was more serious due to the fact it was an emerging strain with no vaccine.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    actually it is a new virus which is why it is so hyped. It is the H1N1 subtype but newly mutated strain where its a combination of bird, pig and human flu. A serious flu? not certain yet since its really not that different from our regular flu but since it is new, they are just keeping a close eye on it incase it turns into a pandemic (phase 6).
  12. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    My head hurts.. :superconf
  13. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I realized my mistake and changed my post already. haha Once it develops into a virulent human to human transmitted virus, it's really hard to contain. People just have to practice safety. Don't hang out in large crowds and don't stay in buildings with a closed ventilation system. You can administer Tamiflu which is effective against pretty much all strains of flu, but... you have to administer it 48 hours before infection to be effective. And there's no way you would know ahead of time to administer it.

Swine flu? :p
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Tamiflu has been something that MAY be effective. It is suggested (not recommended) by physicians to take it if you know someone near you has the H1N12009 virus which may help prevent infection. However they do not recommended taking it just because you want to be protected especially when no one around you has the flu. That will in fact give the H1N12009 to grow a resistance to one of the only possible treatments which could then really lead to a pandemic.

Basically, if your state has not been officially designated with someone having the H1N12009 Flu, there is a 99% chance anyone who has the flu is just the common flu. The CDC is being very cautious in controlling the infection from spreading pretty well right now. The rate of deaths even in Mexico where this all originated has dropped dramatically this week.

In the mean time, wash your hands, be careful with your hands contacting your face/mouth as much as possible, and eat plenty of healthy foods. I don't think you have to stay away from a large group of people but if someone is sick, its always good to keep your distance from them. You can also drink beer or other alcoholic beverages in moderation (as joking suggested by Mark Crislip who is an infectious disease doctor when interviewed by SGU) to kill the germs and brain cells which can keep you safer from the "Horrific Swine Flu".
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    There's one thing I'd like to add. When they say when you cough or sneeze, you should do it in your hands. That is WRONG. You should cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve. That's less commonly touched. Hands touch everything and I doubt people wash hands immediately after coughing or sneezing. It's just hygiene.
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    unless you have some shirt that cost you $200 or something.
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Well I'd rather cough up money to get a shirt washed, dry cleaned, or replaced then spread disease. And I'd think that if you can afford a 200 dollar shirt, you wouldn't be worried about money. :D
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    I just play it like Monk and obsessively wash my hands when i touch other people or things. Not so much when I'm chillin around nature.
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Door knobs are your worst nightmare. I did a culture swab and did a sample growth on an agar petri dish. Not pretty.
  21. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    zomg @ explanations.
  22. Offline

tsburt Active Member

Message Count:
    ALL I CAN SAY IS..............
    It's funny how 90 ppl get the swine flu and everyone wears face masks, but over millions get aids and no one wears condoms...
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Very good point, sir! The general public have strange priorities and worry about the strangest things.
  24. Offline

94corolla-chafita uhh im a dude..

Message Count:
    ok swine flu is serious bussiness here. since like im a skip away from mexico everyone is like OMG!! and ADM!! (ay dios mio!!)lol, theres has been 4 confirmed cases in brownsville. and 2 deaths. schools are closed n chet. i got scared cus i came down with something. i thought it was swine but it was just regular flu. im over it now. thank god. but yeah this think will blow over just like the west nile and bird flu thing.
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Even if you do catch swine flu, the chances of dying from it are low.
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    update as of may 9th 3AM pacific
    1639 laboratory confirmed cases in the US in 43 states and 2 official deaths. Over 3000 laboratory confirmed cases reported from 25 countries. Mexico has reported 44 deaths. I'm sure the actual numbers are a bit higher since these are only officially recorded numbers by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the CDC. However, it still is no comparison against the 36,000 annual deaths from just the regular common flu just in the US.
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Blown out of proportion. As always with help from the media.