1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Can someone Help Me.

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Drakon, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    Can someone Help Me.

Ok, can anyone tell me if you can actually put a cold air intake with the S/C. I've read that people here have put the S/C with the intake and I would really want to know if they can be put together. The reason is I am asking is i found this site.

http://www.toysport.com/webpages/WebUpdates/Catalog/Sportsparts/1zzfeSC.htm

Read the *Please note...

Can anyone give me the correct information.
  2. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    It can, and has been done by both AESC and blk03corolla. It seems that only the trd intake will fit however. They tried the aem and it wouldn't fit
  3. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    They don't want you to install the CAI on the supercharger because it burns out the catalytic converter faster. It still works just fine though. On the S model it is difficult to fit the CAI because the filter is so large. Most people end up denting one side of the filter to make it fit correctly.
  4. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    Its funny, the front page of the trd instructions say it won't fit a corolla s or matrix xrs and then in the instructions they have specific steps for the xrs. Go figure :roll:
  5. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    When you have a SC installed, you're going to want the coldest possible air induced into the engine to help decrease KR. There is no negative effect on the catalytic unless you're running a very rich mixture.

V2
  6. Offline

kleptohomicidal Guest

Message Count:
    how about just cutting a piece of the AEM CAi towards the filter, like remove the filter cut the pipe a bit and reinstall the pipe, would that work?

holla

j :twisted:
  7. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    If I think im understanding you right no that wont work the bent is completely wrong and that wouldnt solve the problem
  8. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    thx guys i finally have an answer...!!!
    now the question is should i get a S/C or wait for the warranty to finish and put turbo.
  9. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    I will tell you what I debated for a long time which to go with and im very happy with my car. I like the supercharger a lot!!!!!
  10. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    It just really depends on how you want to go...

Supercharger:

Good HP, Great TQ
    Warranty (1yr unlimited miles)

Turbo

Great HP, Great TQ
    No Warranty

Bottom line is, turbo is for serious quickness, speed....Supercharger is for nice add on, still fast, but not as fast as a turbo.
  11. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    True, waranty is important, but does the S/C give more power than turbo..?? I've read that the turbo deals out more HP to the wheels than the S/C. Also how much does the S/C really give out...??
    Is it 40 HP
    Or adds 35% HP...I've also heard that it deals out 50%

I would really like to get the facts straight before I do anything.
    Ahh yeah one more thing I read in one of the forums that the S/C has a problem with something of the fuel or something...
    How true is that...??
  12. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    As the saying goes "turbochargers are cool but I'd rather be blown!"

A supercharger (or blower) will give you more power and torque in the lower rpms which an engine like this could definitely use. Also, the power is almost instantaneous and requires no need for spool-up like a turbo.

The draw back of a blower is that it is a parasitic unit. Basically, it uses some of the engines power (belt driven) to make it work.

As to which produces more power? Well that all depends on the efficiency of the blower and your engine's ability to handle all the additional air force fed into the cylinders.

Fuel delivery has nothing to do with whether you're using a turbo or blower. The determining factor is that your fuel system and ECU are up to par with being able to correctly deliver the right amount of fuel for your engine.

V2
  13. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    ok with all that stated....
    which would you recommend...??
    I really would like to sup up the car but I have to take baby steps...
  14. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    ok question to those who have the S/C....
    The S/C peaks at 6800...does it mark that after installing the S/C or does it stop at 6500..??
  15. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Not sure about this, but I have heard that some turbos "kick in" around 3000rpm. Yes a corolla with a supercharger will beat u until you get to 3000rpm, and then its bye bye.
  16. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    But ain't the S/C supposed to be a constante push of massive air into the engine...???
    I kinda don't understand. I mean i know how turbo works but isn't S/C better...??
    and the question towards the rpms still stand un-answered.
  17. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    As it stands without a new computer that moves or removes the rev limiter, the redline will stay at 6500, regardless of supercharger, turbo, or n/a. I'm a little miffed at trd for doing that :x
  18. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    Although the supercharger's rotors constantly spin, it has a boost bypass valve that does not allow the air to enter and compress into the intake manifold under low rpm acceleration, cruising and deceleration. This increases your fuel economy dramatically.

When you go WOT, the boost bypass valve allows all the air to enter and compress into the intake manifold and that's when you get all the power that puts a grin on your face.

Since the boost bypass valve is vacuum controlled, it does not "turn on" at any specific rpm. Boost can be generated as quickly as you could put the pedal to the metal.

V2
  19. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    Ok i understand. So why does the S/C give less boost than the Turbo...???

And how can the rpm problem be fixed, if possible...???
    Cause if it can't you won't be getting the correct dose of the S/C and for that you could accuse the trd company of false advertisement. Just because they say peak rpm at 6800 and you will never get passed 6500.
  20. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    ok I have another question. I know that I am becoming annoying but this is the way u learn, by asking. When u put the S/C do u have to put the pistons or anything new, in other words u have to do nothing to the engine. I would like if someone is knowlgeable in this information requested.

Good Luck and God Speed.
  21. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    If you are getting just the trd supercharger as ordered, then no changes to anything else necessary, just bolt on the supercharger, switch to premium fuel, and you're ready to roll.
  22. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    why do i need to change to premeum fuel and no t regular?
    whats the difference?
  23. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    the supercharger raises the compression ratio of the engine causing regular fuel to detonate.
  24. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    and what does that mean....?? :? :?
    I'm not that good with mechanics...I'm still learning
  25. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    detonation means that the gas will explode. Normally the gas should burn, not explode. detonation causes the cylinder walls and pistons to be warn down very quickly. You can have the car detonate for a couple of seconds, but beyond that you are doing serious damage to the engine.
  26. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    What are the octane ratings for gas in Puerto Rico?
  27. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    I'll try to keep this as simple:

A supercharger compresses more air into the intake. Compressed air = more heat and more heat = less than ideal performance from your engine.

Due to the increased pressure and heat in your cylinders, a lower octane fuel will become more unstable and increase its chances of igniting before the spark plug does. This effect causes "knock" and could prematurely wear out certain engine components. If the knock persists, it could easily damage your engine.

Thankfully, newer vehicles come equipped with a "knock sensor". This sensor (basically a microphone) listens for knock. If your engine knocks, the ecu then retards the engine timing which helps eliminate the knock but it also robs your engine of power.

A fuel with a higher octane rating is much more stable when it is compressed and pretty much helps eliminate knock. Since the combustion is controlled again, the engine's timing is advanced and the power is restored.

V2
  28. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    ok I think I get it. And the octane here if I'm not mistaken is 93 is that any good. And also I've seen these little containers that you put with your gasoline. I really don't remember what the are for but I think its for that better for the fuel to burn. Are they any good...??

:D All of your guys feedback is very well apreciated and welcome. And sorry for the lack of knowledge and the continous questions but how else will I learn :D
  29. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    93 octane will be just fine
  30. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    As Oddfish stated, 93 octane is fine since the TRD supercharger is manufactured to work with available premium fuel. If your engine is running fine and there are no signs of knock or ping, then there's no reason to add anything to your fuel.

If you ever feel the need to add some form of octane booster, then make sure it is race gas or a concentrate of race gas. Stay away from the fancy octane booster stuff you would find on the shelves of typical auto stores. I've heard plenty of people having problems with them.

V2