1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

News Can one "act black"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by e_andree, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Can one "act black"?

Can one "act black"? Is that an offensive question?

If you believe so, then you MUST find this story offensive:
    Jackson accuses Obama of "acting white"
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The Rev. Jesse Jackson sharply criticized Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama Tuesday over his reaction to the arrest of six black juveniles in Jena, Louisiana on murder charges, accusing the Illinois senator of "acting like he's white," according to a South Carolina newspaper.

The comments reportedly came during a speech at Columbia’s historically black Benedict College.

The State newspaper reports Jackson later said he did not recall saying Obama is "acting like he's white," but continued to condemn the Illinois Democrat as well as the other presidential candidates for not bringing more attention to this issue. (Related: Residents: Nooses spark school violence, divide town)

He also said Obama needs to be "bolder" in his stances if he wants to make inroads in South Carolina. Obama currently trails rival Hillary Clinton, a senator from New York, in the Palmetto State by 18 points, according to a recent LA Times/Bloomberg poll.

Jackson, who ran for president twice in the 1980's, endorsed Obama's White House bid earlier in the year. Jackson won the South Carolina Democratic primary, where African American voters play an influential role, in both presidential bids.

"If I were a candidate, I'd be all over Jena," the prominent civil rights activist said Tuesday in Columbia, South Carolina, the paper reports. "Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment."

Jackson is slated to be on hand for a march in Jena this Thursday. The Rev. Al Sharpton, Martin Luther King III, and hip-hop artist Mos Def are also expected to be on hand. (Related video: King kids join march on Jena)

Obama formally released a statement on the case Friday evening after one of the teen's charges was thrown out, saying, “I am pleased that the Louisiana state appeals court recognized that the aggravated battery charge brought in this case was inappropriate."
  2. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    Suddenly one forgets what they said. Especially something like that. He just doesn't want people to get on his case. i wish his statement would have been on audio or video cause that would of made him look like an idiot.
  3. Offline

ShallowPockets New Member

Message Count:
    Oh, it probably is recorded. I'm sure it'll come out, but American media being the way they are as it relates to so-called "reverse discrimination" likely won't pay it any attention. No one wants to be the next Don Imus so they won't make a big deal of it by keeping it in the news and doing 3 part stories on the evening news. If they do, Jesse and Al will be right there to incite ignorance and hate, all while bullying the corporate news chiefs to roll some heads.
  4. Offline

corollagtswife New XRS Owner :

Message Count:
    This does nothing but piss me off. When us white people march for something that happens to us we're racists. What about hate crimes against white people. The Jena 6 were 6 black kids who beat a white kid up, nearly to death. 2 or 3 of them got the charges of aggravated assault and attempted murder dropped and a lesser charge brought against them. The others still stand. Now, aggravated assault and attempted murder is pretty harsh as far as charges go but why can't they get charged with a hate crime since it was racially motivated? That doesn't make any sense and pisses a lot of people off.
  5. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:

I usually have the same views, but the Jena 6 situation is different.
  6. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    please elaborate. i never read into this
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Racial tensions resurfaced in Jena on September 1, 2006, when hangman's nooses were discovered in an oak tree on the campus of Jena High School after a black student had asked the vice principal if he and some friends could sit under the tree, where white students had typically congregated. The school administration recommended that the noose-hangers be expelled. The elected La Salle Parish School Board overruled the school, him and the three white student perpetrators received in-school suspension.[4] On November 30, 2006, an arson fire destroyed the main academic building at the school. On December 4, a fight broke out on campus, after which six African-American students, later dubbed the Jena 6,[5] were arrested and charged with attempted second-degree murder. Law enforcement officers told the Alexandria Daily Town Talk in Alexandria that they have found clear links between the noose incident, the arson fire, and subsequent fights[citation needed], and are at odds with the District Attorney for not bringing hate crime charges which are permitted by Louisiana state laws and Consitution.

The six accused of attempted second-degree murder are black and were fighting a white student after what they claimed to have been a week of intimidation by white students, including the one who was assaulted.[6] Intimidation cited includes an incident in which a white student brandished a gun at a convenience store after a verbal exchange. Black students allegedly wrestled away the gun and were then held in custody and charged with theft while no charges were made against the white student.[7]

On June 26, 2007, the first day of trial for Mychal Bell, one of the defendants, the prosecutor agreed to reduce the charges for Bell to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated second-degree battery.[8] Bell was found guilty by an all-white jury, and will face the possibility of up to twenty-two years in prison when he is sentenced.[7] The sentencing was originally scheduled for July 30, but has been delayed.[9] However, the case is currently in dispute, as the court-appointed public defender did not call a single witness in his attempt to defend Bell.[10] The other five students will be tried at a later date.

On August 24, 2007, a bond hearing was held for Mychal Bell. Judge J.P. Mauffray ruled against Bell, citing four prior violent crimes in his past and three parole violations. The Judge admitted being in error because the prior crimes were sealed juvenille cases.

The Third Circuit Court of Appeals tossed out Mychal Bell's conviction, stating that he should have never been tried as an adult as he was sixteen years old at the time of the incident. The ruling does not affect the other teenagers in the case because they were all seventeen years of age, or the age of legal consent, in Lousiana at the time of the incident.

Though local citizens strongly defend their town, Jena has gained international attention for alleged "new 'stealth' racism" that lives on in the United States[11] with focus through a National Public Radio prime time story on July 30.[12] The town also featured in a BBC documentary, This World: "Race hate in Louisiana".[13]
  8. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    I'm getting tired of this whole Jena thing. This makes my state look bad AGAIN. Ugh. :(
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah, well at least you don't have to relive the fact a local white guy killed Martin Luther King in your city...every single day.

Imagine this Jena 6 racial issue mess....all the time in every situation. if it involves parties of different races in Memphis, you can bet the race card is drawn early on in the disagreement.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Why don't you guys move or something...there ya go, problem solved, woot!
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Oh I'm planning on it. The new Toyota plant is opening up about 70 miles from here in a town surrounded by nothingness...literally. I can get twice the house I have now on a decent piece of property from the same I'm paying to live in Memphis. It's close enough to drive, yet just far enough that the "sprawlers" won't want to make the 70-80 mile roundtrip commute from the area I've been looking at.

We are also in the midst of an election to oust a 16 year incumbent mayor...who some would call the ringleader of the racial tension in this town. He's the reason DeSoto County is the fastest growing county in Mississippi, lol.
  12. Offline

unladylike00 New Member

Message Count:
    It drives me insane when people say that black people are "acting white"... WHY ARE THEY ACTING WHITE?? because they speak properly or dress properly??? That isn't a "white characteristic", its just an EDUCATED ONE!! it erks me so bad when I see a nice dressed black guy or girl, and I hear someone say ahh they are trying to be white.. its like what? How ignorant is that comment!!!

=) k got that out of my system lol

and btw those boys in the jena thing NEED TO PAY FOR WHAT THEY DID!! if it was reversed AL SHARPTON JESSE JACKSON .. ALL THEM WOULD BE BLOWING UP EVERY TV SHOW TALKING ABOUT HOW JUSTICE NEEDS TO BE SERVED!!!!!!1
  13. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    It's reverse racism. No matter what the community does, the black man will something to say about it. You can't criticize them because they'll call you racist. If they do something wrong like this Jena incident, they'll try to get you to focus on some other topic that is totally irrelevant to get you to forget about it. If any other race were to commit the same thing, they would never get the end of it. THAT is racist. The black man is just hating on the rest of the world thinking that the world owes them something for the years of slavery the white man put them through. That was a frickin long time ago. Stop living your backwards, lazy, welfare-snatching, worthless lives and shape up and get with the program. I agree with unladylike00. Blaming and criticizing blacks that actually contribute to the economy, society, and the infrastructure is just an excuse for their incompetence.

:D I had to get that out of my system too!

Asians, Muslims, Hispanics, and other races don't put up a big hissy fit every time their own race is involved in some news. The exclusive privileges and support blacks get is overexaggerated. Look at Michael Jackson... They act like a bunch of baby whiners. They remind me of the Baby Boomers. "Gimme it, it's mine!!!"
    Now THAT is what I call racism. Equal representation for all races! Or none at all.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    So since we are on the whole racism thing ... who thinks that this is ridiculous? This is in Milwaukee, WI...where I'm from...and I have had to drive by this sign hundreds of times in my life.

http://www.blackholocaustmuseum.org/

See for yourself ....

Later!
  15. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    WTF? Holocaust? I think not. That's freaking ridiculous.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    That's my point I am making. I was wondering if anyone else would have caught that ridiculous use of that word or not. Sure, what they went through sucked, but their own people sold them to the white people for the most part...so I don't even want to hear that we fucked them over and that we owe them anything and whatnot. Their ancestors brought it on themselves.
  17. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    I agree wholeheartedly. You = r0xx0rz.
  18. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    See what I mean about blacks blowing things out of proportion? Jesus Christ. They want the world to know what happened to them and are willing to rub our faces in it. Where's the Asian American Holocaust Museum about how America mistreated Asians in America? Internment camps(Japanese), beatings, racial driven killings, L.A. riots(which blacks were attacking Koreans and burning down their stores.), and more. It's biased racism on their part. It's total BS. And when the judge turned down that black Jena 6 teen for the beating, the black community goes berserk and say it's racism when the teen is obviously guilty and should have no say in the decision.
  19. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    LOL
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    I can't even comment on this ridiculous shit anymore....