1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Camber Wear

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by wasabinuts2go, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
    Camber Wear

I recently took off my aftermarket wheels and found that the tire on the rear passenger side had some major camber wear ... meaning more wear on half of the tire .... so i decided to put the stock tires back on for now. I was looking at the major suspension guide that we have here on the website and I'm thinking about getting the Eibach Camber Bolts. I'm not very familiar with it, but would these bolts really prevent camber wear?
    If i do buy these bolts how many do i need? just 2 or 4? I'm planning to change the rear camber bolts only.

And also, i wanted to know what else would you guys recommend getting if you notice camber wear?

One thing that I've been very curious about the other cars like the one below.[IMG] How can you have your car so low and have wheels sit so flush without getting any camber wear?

BTW: do spacers have any negative affect toward your suspension?
  2. Offline

SlowRolla97 New Member

Message Count:
    Usually its a problem with toe rather than camber.
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Toe is the in and out angle which isn't such a problem for the rear. Camber is the one that if too extreme will wear the inner or outer section of the tire first. Do you notice uneven wearing in the fronts as well? If you don't, then all you need is a pair of camber bolts for the rear. You can also opt for camber plates as well. Spacers don't affect tire wear or suspension. They only widen the stance of the car. It's not recommended unless you know for sure the tires/wheels will clear the fenders.
  4. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If you only have camber wear on one side than it just mean that you alignment is off on one side. Camber bolts will give you/your alignment guy a wider range of camber adjustment. They are only necessary if your alignment guy cannot get your camber back to specs with the current adjustment. Seeing as you said you only have camber wear on the passenger side, I'm assuming the driver side is fine. If that is true than your alignment guy wouldn't need camber bolts to fix your camber problem.

Hella Flush guys are all show no go, they barely drive their show cars around and when they do they rub like crazy.
  5. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
    Thanks for all the replies.

So yea like i said, only the rear passenger side is wearing. And yea the wearing is only on half of the tire which is the inner section. I remember my friend told me to get a camber kit, because his 8th gen civic is slammed on his coilovers to the lowest setting, and it doesn't rub at all.

The thing is i don't even have coilovers, and i only have tein s-techs with tokico shocks, which isn't really that low imo. When i have 4 people in my car, driving at 65mph, and i run into a big dip in the freeway, i hear rubbing sounds from my tires in the back only. And I have already rolled my fenders. The thing is if i only get a camber bolt, will this eliminate the rubbing and also camber wear?

thanks again for your replies!
  6. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Rubbing depends on the offset of the wheel and the width of the tire. If your buddy is slammed but his offset is high, his tires would tuck perfectly into the wheel well in bumps and in corners. But also note that coilovers are usually way stiffer so the suspension dont compress as easily. People here seems to think the drop is the only factor when it comes to rubbing which is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I'm more slammed than many people here and I don't rub at all.

As for camber and rubbing, having more negative camber would actually decrease rubbing because your wheel&tire would be tilted away from the fender lip.. So when the suspension compress the tire wouldn't hit it. Fixing your camber wear is essentially assing more positive camber, so no getting a camber kit will not solve your rubbing problem.

My recommendation is to tell your alignment guy to set your camber to the negative end of the specified range. That way your camber/alignment would still be in spec and you decrease your chance of rubbing.
  7. Offline

Graphiterolla Member

Message Count:
    Like JspeX said, if it is only on one side, and you are evenly dropped, then that means they were able to get the other side within specs.

I had those camber bolts in the front. They allow for a little adjustment but if you are slammed, you are just going to have to get used to camber wear on your tire.