1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Bumper Auxiliary Brake Light Project

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by JspeXAE102, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think people call that a rear fog light.
  2. Offline

rolla996 Guest

Message Count:

dam how did u do that?
  3. Offline

sting Guest

Message Count:
    Bumper Auxiliary Brake Light Project

just want to share with you guys what i've done during the weekends...

i always liked that brake light or turbo light (correct me if i'm wrong) of the 92 galant GTi, and i wanted to put it on my rear bumper...

what i needed?
    1. brake light lamp, the small rectangled shape one
    2. bulb and socket with electrical wire
    3. electric buzz saw? hahaha, i forgot what it's called, silly me...
    4. tape
    5. pencil

step 1. - find the right spot and trace out the shape of the brake lamp, make sure the hole you need to make is the right place where you intend to place the lamp, you don't want it to look crooked...
    [IMG]

step 2. - it's time to make the hole, be sure the hole you made is a little smaller than the actual dimension of the brake lamp in order for you to be able to make adjustments...
    [IMG]

step 3. - you could use your wiring harness of your tail light to channel the electricity that would power your brake light, if i am correct the jdm version serves as a brake light, whereas the euro version serves as a courtesy light/park light, thanks for the inputs onchie...
    [IMG]

step 4. - upon placing the brake lamp in the hole, make sure it's intact and all imperfections polished... mine is not yet fully perfected... still need some rubber fitting...

here's the outcome of my project:

at day time
    [IMG]

a little closer
    [IMG]

at night
    [IMG]

a little closer
    [IMG]

hope this helps others who wish to do this simple DIY...
  4. Offline

JordanInc ZZE110

Message Count:
    WOah so bright
  5. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I never liked the look of the auxiliary brake lights. I know someone who installed one on their 2000 Accord. It doesn't look appetizing at all. If I were to have any, it would have to be stock on the car, like the new Avalons.
  6. Offline

JazzMaster Guest

Message Count:
    I like it! but it's useless :( hey man do you have any other pics of your car... I like the yellow taillights... kinda weird but I like it...

is it still legal??? I mean, the third brake light isn't suppose to be at eye level?

and you should make a custom fiberglass rear panel w/o a third brake light... as I did, but I kept the third light brake...

[IMG]
  7. Offline

sting Guest

Message Count:
    <br />
    negative or good feedback sir is all good to me...<br />
    <br />
    well, i like it anyways and at the end of the day, to each is own...<br />
    <br />
    it's just like me saying, i don't enjoy having side skirts on my ride, a simple drop and a BZ touring bumper with over rider and chin (lip) is what i prefer...<br />
    <br />
    and about the legal issues of having yellow lenses on your tail lights here in the philippines is concern, AFAIK, the law here on motor vehicles is a bit lenient than in the US...<br />
    <br />
    i am getting 97 stock tailights and getting rid of these tails (which is now an eye sore to me) soon...
  8. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    i like it, but i think i would make it a bit skinner rectangle and have a switch so that it only turns on with your fogs.
  9. Offline

sting Guest

Message Count:
    the switch i might work on though, i'll make it a courtesy light/ fog light at the same time, an auxiliary brake light...
  10. Offline

JazzMaster Guest

Message Count:
    fiberglass over the original panel... then black paint for vinyl
  11. Offline

sting Guest

Message Count:
    it really depends on how the light would be used, it could be an auxiliary brake light, like what i've done...

or it could be used as a fog light/ courtesy light (euro), provided reconnection must be at the park light...