1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Fitness Broken Ankle Recovery

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Machinehead2k5, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Offline

Machinehead2k5 Chemosabe

Message Count:
    Broken Ankle Recovery

So I broke my ankle long ago in February (playing hockey and crashed into the boards and folded my ankle over) and now I've been given the green light by the ortho to begin walking again. Well I have little muscle on/around my ankle and quads. So everytime I take a step, well I can't. So I've been using the crutch walk method which helps but is kinda frustrating, since I'm getting sick of my crutches. I am going to PT as well.

So for those of you who have broken legs/ankles, how did y'all get your range of mobility back and get to walking again?

side note: I have 7 screws (1 floating) and a plate as seen in my avatar.
  2. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    Been in your shoes before. Full ankle replacement, long story.

What I did was working with the crutch walk, which I agree is annoying, but I started with 2 crutches, then 1 then a cane, then nothing all of this was done with the help of PT and home PT. It took me close to 2 yrs to get my movement back fully, but within 6-8 months I was down to 1 crutch walking. Mind you I am a somewhat quick healer.

Stick with the PT man they know what they are doing.
  3. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    gah, that has to suck horribly........

get well soon man :-/
  4. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I tore an ACL and fractured my patella. Couldn't even poop right!

Like rolla02 said, takes patience. At days my heel hurt so bad that i though i was getting a stress fracture on it. Give it a work out but don't force it. I feel like my PT actually hurt my knee more than it helped.

Day by day train it, no junk food, and eat foods with plenty of calcium. I ate cabbage everyday and when my surgery date came, the doctor reconsidered after retaking an x-ray just two weeks later.
  5. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Basically suck it up and take the pain. Stay off the meds as much as you can- and do what the PT says to do.

I had a plate and 6 screws in my ankle a few years ago. You getting them out in a year?
  6. Offline

bennyboi9 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    were u in the car when atomicaz crashed his car? lol jks. hope you get well soon. or soonish.
  7. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    do you wear your boot loose and was this ice or roller? curious how you folded an ankle.
  8. Offline

Machinehead2k5 Chemosabe

Message Count:
    It was ice hockey. Which boot are your talking about the hockey boot or walking boot? I've learned to suck it up, apparently I was crutch walking (1 crutch) the wrong way, had the crutch under the left shoulder instead of the right one. Stupid me. Now walking is a lot easier.

E: They're staying in and not coming out.

Atomicaz really tried to run me over, but my ankle bashed up his car pretty good. :)
  9. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    told ya you shouldn't have imitated the chuck :D
  10. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i am talking about the hockey boot. i've played hockey for a little over 15 years and never heard of that happening especially in ice hockey. was just thinking maybe the boots were too loose because in roller i had friends tweak their ankle if the wheels grip too much and it was unexpected.
  11. Offline

Machinehead2k5 Chemosabe

Message Count:
    It was pretty tight, i wear the shins over the tongue to add protection and more stability. They were RBK 9ks. Earlier this week a guy broke his tibia/fibula and his ankle was just flopping around in the boot.
  12. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Any medical reason that they are staying in? Have you researched that beyond just your doctors recommendation? If I were you (and just saying as I dont know all the facts), Id do some research and get a 2nd opinion. Just speaking from personal experience
  13. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    are these beginners? worst i've seen is broken wrists and stitches in the face.
  14. Offline

Machinehead2k5 Chemosabe

Message Count:
    Nope, not beginners. He got checked from behind (in a no check league) and ended up baseball sliding into the boards...not a good way to go into them. Granted the guy who broke his leg is a showboat and doesn't pass and yells at everyone else when they mess up.

E: I've got a 2nd opinion from my sis who is also a doc and the ortho I'm seeing is the Atlanta Hawks team ortho.
  15. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Yeah you just go along with the PT it's gonna suck, but it'll get better. I've heard not to walk with just onw crutch though, they said you can get to dependent on it and even just naturally lean a little bit to that side when it heals. I don't know if that's true, because I stuck to using two. Broke my right femur in seven places, compound fracture, little pieces sticking out, kinda brutal.
  16. Offline

Machinehead2k5 Chemosabe

Message Count:
    iKon: there's been a rash of injuries in the leagues the last couple of months. The last 7 seasons (3.5 yrs) there was nothing major execpt for a guy who broke his leg in a AAA game.
  17. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:

So whats the reasoning behind keeping it in?
    Which bone did you break? Clean break to the fibula?

I just did a lot of research and got multiple professional opinions on it and had the hardware removed. There was no medical reason to keep it in, and many medical reasons/advantages to having them removed.
  18. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    All the metal that I had put in was removed too, about a year later.
  19. Offline

Machinehead2k5 Chemosabe

Message Count:
    Well I'm back walking around sans crutches for the most part. Still need them on the stairs though.

As for the plate, I had a left distal fibula fracture with a partially torn ligament.