1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

BREAKING: 2003 Toyota Sequoia to be recalled over traction control

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by Autoblog, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Offline

Autoblog Guest

Message Count:
    BREAKING: 2003 Toyota Sequoia to be recalled over traction control

Filed under: SUV, Japan, Recalls, Safety, Toyota

[IMG]

Toyota made big headlines
    recently because of sliding floor mats and then sticky gas pedals - both resulting in unintended acceleration. Well, let's call today's recall announcement unintended deceleration. According to The Detroit News, Toyota is preparing to recall 50,000 of its full-size model year 2003 Sequoias.

According to the daily, there have been 160 reports of "inappropriate activation of the electronic stability control or the traction control system." Which is a fancy way of saying the vehicles suddenly seem to slow down on their own. Here's what the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is saying:
    "During the activation of either system, the driver loses throttle control and one of more brakes may apply, causing the vehicle to slow suddenly. During these activation events, the brake lights are not illuminated to signal to following traffic that the vehicle is slowing."
    For its part, Toyota admits that:
    "...the VSC system could, in limited situations, activate at low speed (approximately 9 mph) for a few seconds after acceleration from a stopped position and, as a result, the vehicle may not accelerate as quickly as the driver expects. There have been no reported injuries or accidents as a result of this condition."
    Obviously, if your vehicle suddenly slows unexpectedly while under acceleration without warning (and without brake lights!), that's an issue. For its part, Toyota initially admitted it was a problem with the traction control system (not the stability control), but for some reason it didn't feel a recall was necessary. However, that was sixteen months ago, before the Japanese giant's woes began in earnest. Today, they're going to fix the issue. Toyota would do well to remember their Nixon: it's not the crime, it's the cover up. Official press release available after the jump.

[Source: The Detroit News]

Continue reading BREAKING: 2003 Toyota Sequoia to be recalled over traction control

BREAKING: 2003 Toyota Sequoia to be recalled over traction control originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Ban Autoblog!
  4. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    seriously, i dont give a shit.

I read a similar article saying that it wasn't unique to the sequoia but all large sized suv's with traction control. Land Rover is the most notable one I heard of. I can't remember where, it was on stumble.
  5. Offline

YamahaTundraV8 New Member

Message Count:
    Oh well it's the older model hopefully the 08 up doesn't have this issue too. Recall petal's was enought.
  6. Offline

bennyboi9 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    maybe it just senses when the vehicle is coming up to something in the way? so maybe people are just driving too close to the people in front of them?.... pre-electronic cars for the win!! :D the only excessive electric thing in my car is my neons lol
  7. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    MOTHA FUCKIN PLUS 102983470189374!!!!!

me and my dad were talking of how NONE of these cars would have this problem if they had just kept it mechanical. having the ECU control so many things is finally catching up to them...
  8. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Still love your sig pic man cracks me up every time.