1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Brake Caliper

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by DjiNN, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Offline

DjiNN New Member

Message Count:
    Brake Caliper

Hey guys! Has anyone changed their Brake Caliper? If you have what brand of caliper have you went with and how is it? My caliper on the right side is making my brake to fade faster than the left side. That was the reason why my ebrake light was on. I see online only A1 Cardone, Beck/Arnley, and Raybestos. Is there any "performance" or should i say better than stock caliper? Also while I'm changing the caliper should I get some steel braided brake lines?
  2. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    what sites have you looked at? i have not yet done one but i think vamp has a diy... try and search.
  3. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Just a FYi if you have one bad caliper in the front, change both at the same time. Even if you bought just one caliper.. it would still work better than your other one causing the same problem. best bet would be going with a loaded caliper. A little bit more expensive but they already come with pads. And I dont see why it would turn your e brake light on unless the pistion is depressed so far the master cylinder is low..

Ive never dealt with braded brake lines but oem works just fine unless you are going to be doing some serious braking. Make sure also when you replace your calipers you bleed out the brake system so there is no air in the lines.
  4. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Changing a brake caliper is easy. If you can change brake pads and bleed brakes then you can change a clapper. Just unbolt the thing and disconnect the banjo bolt to the brake line, replace, and bleed. However bleeding brakes can be a bit tricky for people who never done it before. I would suggest you have someone that know what they're doing to help you out.

I cannot recommend any of the aforementioned brands because they're all just meh.. if you has teh monies go OEM.

Steel braided lines are a good upgrade that is relatively cheap. And since you are disconnecting the brake line anyways then you might as well just kill 2 bears with one stone.

Upgradeing the calipers are avaliable via fastbrakes using wilwood fixed 4 or 6 piston clappers but they starts at around 9 bills. You really should make sure your tires can handle the extra stopping power and if you really need it before considering such an upgrade.
  5. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Stainless steel lines FTW! I did them on my old talon and on my bike and man what a difference in braking.... might as well while you're at it.
  6. Offline

DjiNN New Member

Message Count:
    THanks for the input guys. I couldnt hold out on changing the caliper because i almost crashed today while on the highway trying to brake. Safety first before getting performance. Anyway ill probably have the brake lines upgraded because my brakes feel much better than before but still kind of mushy. I saw a video of a guy bleeding his brakes using a water bottle and requires 2 people.
  7. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    most probably 2 people needed, unless you can rig something up to hold the bottle while you pump the break.
  8. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    But then you have nobody watching the fluid exiting the valve to make sure there are no bubbles. Unless you have experience with it I'd wouldn't attempt it. Because if you fail then your car is left stranded with no brakes.
  9. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Yea definitely 2 ppl, have someone that is mechanically inclined preferably.
  10. Offline

DjiNN New Member

Message Count:
    i feel that the auto shop i'm going to for things i need to get fixed isn't doing the best job. I know i could do this stuff myself but its time consuming and i don't have a garage to do it. I mean i could do it on the street but rather have a driveway or something.