1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Beginer to Motorcycle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slvr2000fdvspec, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    are you out of your mind? a 600cc bike for a beginner that knows little to nothing about bikes? go do more research, i on the other hand, i started on a kawasaki 250r, it's not too crazy, but still quick enough to have fun on the side..remember, these bikes are powerful machines, they can kill you if you're not careful, and i understand sometimes, it's not you that's the stupid one, it's other drives, and make yourself aware to others that you're present, NEVER TRY SPLITTING LANES unless you're certain you can control the bike and have enough balls to understand that you can die..my cousin was very lucky when he was splitting lanes, a taxi cut out and my cousin couldn't brake in time, slammed into his fender and flew about 20 feet, thank god there was traffic, or else he would be gone..anything over 500cc is considered medium powered bikes, i would say start small, go 250r..and if you're big, i'm 5'10 and i weigh 150, i fit the 250r perfectly, if you're big, go with a wider version of it..they're more stable..
  2. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    for a beginner 250 cc is about right. More than that and they guy will probably be over powered by the bike
  3. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    im about to get an R6..... cant really go wrong there seeing as how yamaha designs toyotas G cylinder heads

oh and the 15,500rpm redline
  4. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    well, im 6'2" and i weigh 230...i plan on keepin the bike for a while, so when i get used to it, i want somthing that will still be "fun" ive done alot of reading and i take it u were talkin about the Ninja slvr? well, i was gunna upgrade from the 250 to the 500. I had a friend whos gunna teach me, but he has a 650, and hes tryin his damndest to sell it to me, but there aint ANY way in hell im goin over 500 when the closest thing to a cycle ive driven is a moped, and thats at 35 mph.

and advice on riding? im not gunna try anything stupid or daring, i just got the urge to get a bike. Im really excited about this, but im just not sure if the Ninja 500R is gunna be a big enough bike for me...

and heres a pic of me...if itll help any?
    [IMG]
  5. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    Beginer to Motorcycle

Yeah, ive been doin some pondering and i wanna get a sports bike. my knowledge about this is very slim, so for you riders out there, can u make some suggestions on a good bike? i really dont wanna spend more that 5 grand for a used bike. i dont want anything powerful as i need somthing to learn on.

any other advice would be great
  6. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    www.beginnerbikes.com
  7. Offline

corollinout New Member

Message Count:
    a very good beginner bike is the CBR 600 by honda
  8. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    I was lookin into the Kawasaki Ninja series...i was gunna get a 250cc, but with my height and weight, i wanna go with a 500...i really dont wanna go any higher than that. ive never been on a bike except to ride along, and even then, it was when i was 12 or 13. i havnt been on a bike since. there are a couple guys that live down the road from me that are into import tuning and they own 2 bikes, and along with a good friend, so im gunna see if i can get some lessons first.

im 18 and living in FL, so what will i have to do to get endorced with a licence?

and whats gunna happen insurance wise? i just got my bill down 50 a month, but i dont really want another spike.

andree, that site was very imformative. thanks!
  9. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    hmm, ill have to hit u up on AIM or somthing, but the part about shoping for a bike after the MSF class...how am i supposed to take the course if i dont have a bike? and my reasons for a motorcycle is to do somthing different. sometimes i just wanna go out and have a blast, and i cant really do that in my corolla, as it doenst have the getupandgo that i want...hmm

the main reason..is to have fun, and yeah, kinda be badass....my dad had a bike while i was a kid, and i hardly remember those days, but my mom is nervous about me thinkin about geting one...heh.

so im gunna take out a loan to get a bike, i dont want a 250, as i was doin some reading and like u said, ull outgrow it too quick, thats why i was lookin at the 500s, would u reccommend a ninja for my size, or would there be somthing that would better fit me? i dont wanna go over 6 grand for a bike, and yes, i was lookin into geting somthing used.

thanks again for everyones help, its much appreciated!
  10. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
  11. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    well dude, from your pic and stuff, i think you should start with a kawasaki 500r, i'm a die hard kawasaki fan, not that i dont like yamaha or suzuki, i just love ninja's..if you're gonna keep this bike for a while, just go with a 500r, but i wouldn't touch anything higher for a while cause you might get over powered by the bike, and that's never a pretty sight..

also when you ride, set your seat's and all to a position that adapts to YOU, never ride a bike if you dont feel comfortable at it at the first time..it'll just get worse as you ride, so adjust everything that needs to be adjusted..make it fit you..

MSF courses usually provide motorcycles for you to practice on, usually under 500cc, and it's in a closed course..also, it takes 10% off your car insurance =D but that's if you score lucky ahha
  12. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    man...i doubt that gixxer is as fast as an r1. r1's, especially the new ones are crazy. i'd probably never get on one.
  13. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, looks like ima be busy tuesday, im gunna go to the DMV to get a learners thingy, then to go look at some bikes. then i suppose ill have to call up and make an appt. for that class, and just go from there.

i talked to midniterains about everything and i got all the info i needed. I think ill stick with the 500r. and as for insurance, it was 250 a month with my corolla, and it recently went down to 200, im turnin 19 in 6 weeks, so theres another 10 dollar drop... but adding a bike will just put it back up to where it was.

thanks for everyones help agian!!!
  14. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    1 down, 5 up for me..=D
  15. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    no prob, just be careful man..lot of stupid drivers out there, and remember, it's not how you drive, it's how others drive
  16. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    OK, this is geting annoying, im 18 and have a valid Class E licence for FL. i cant find any info on what i need to do to get approved to drive a motorcycle also. ive checked the DMV site and DLd the handbook. im sure i can pass a written test (obvious stuff) but i just need practice on riding...can someone help me please?

i keep comin across random shit that says the bike has to be under 125cc??? i dont think its FL related, but this is geting annoying
  17. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    i must know nothing about bikes then.

first, take the MSF (motoryclce safety foundation) class. your local DMV should know of a place that teaches. after you do that and you get your license and you're sure you want to ride, start looking at bikes. 250's are too small i'l tell you right now, you'll outgrow its capabilities quick. i'm only 5'8'' 125 also and i'm riding at cbr600F3, i thought a 250 was the only way to go. at least get a 500, no more than 600 cc's. suzuki katanas (600) are good to start out on.

even the cbr600F3's are pretty good. tthe ninja ex500 or 500r that they are now called are also pretty good to start out on. the R6 is an amazing bike, especailly the 03+, and if i had the cash i'd get one, even used. the problem with the 99-02 r6's is that transmissions seem to have a trouble after while. i think yamaha was replacing them for a while even after warranty but they may have stopped.

about the under 125cc thing...in CA it means it cant go on certain roadways like freeways and stuff, or wherever it's prohibited.

if you're going to get a bike to stand next to show off at starbucks your reasons for riding are somewhat clouded. of course you pull up next to those panes of glass on buildings and look over and think "god damn ii look bad ass" but its awesome feelign to ride, dont shwo off and hurt yourself by racing down streets. becareful, rubber side down.
  18. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    You are going to buy a used bike to begin with, arent ya?
  19. Offline

corollinout New Member

Message Count:
    a CBR 600 is a good beginner bike, because it doesnt take long to get used to a bike, so why have a 250 laying around, plus you dont have to give a bike full throtle to start off, ive learned on a GSXR 750 and they are just as fast as an R1, the bikes not gonna go from under you if you dont let it,

only thing you need to ride a bike is confidence in yourself, the bikes not controling you, your controling the bike

few things to know

clutch on left, front brake on right handle bar, throttle twists, and the rear brakes are on the right, gear shift is on the left, 1 down 4 up
  20. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
  21. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Hey...the easiest way in FL to get your bike endorsement is to go take the 3 day class. It's 1 day in the classroom and 2 on the course, and it's roughly $250. They take you and teach you EVERYTHING, and all you have to do after you take the test in the course is go make an appt and get your endorsement added to your license.

I know...Rodd and I are going the second weekend in August.
  22. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Im taking the MSF course in September. 250 bucks, but Ive talked to some veterans that have taken the course and learned something from it. Plus insurance will like it.
  23. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
  24. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    lol, yeah, i was gunna take the class, but i have to call the place tommorow...as for the bike ima get, its gunna be a 2000+ ninja 500R im gunna try to keep the miliage under 10k. and pray i can find one that hasnt been droped.

[IMG]

im geting really excited about this, and eandree, i cant see the pic u posted, somthing about needing 25 cents?

i wonder if i can get a loan without needing a cosigner...and can someone tell me ABOUT how much my insurance will go up?
  25. Offline

Myamaguchi1 Guest

Message Count:
    I suggest u take tha class first before u go out and get a bike cuz I though i could ride no problam but when i took tha class i was really happy i was on a closed course not an open road and I just got my lic. 2 weeks ago now im looking for a bike too 500cc
  26. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    im gunna take the course first...my mom is doin everything in her power to stop me, bwahahahaa...and since the cars in her name, shes even threatening to take it away and droping me off insurance...what a *****
  27. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    dont get a 250cc bike that you'll get bored with quick. Stick w/ a 500-650cc bike, and obviously get one used since chances are VERY good that you will drop it at least once.

oh yeah and be safe and get all the proper clothing/equipment. Hate when I see people riding around in shorts/t-shirt w/ the helmet behind them and not on their head...
  28. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    ^ situation w/ your mom sucks, but I totally understand her concern, just try and get through to her that you are serious about it and are going to be safe. She's probably worried you'll do stupid shit.
  29. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, my dad was pretty cool about it, but mom is just goin ape bananas...

any good places u reccommend to get the gear needed?
  30. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    My 1st bike is a 750 katana . which I have had it to 145 which scared the crap out of me..............lol