1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Bad Wheel Bearings?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by speedynole, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Offline

speedynole New Member

Message Count:
    Bad Wheel Bearings?

So I’ve been noticing this squeaking sound coming from my front driver side wheel, and the longer it’s been going on the more frequent it becomes. Now it’s become a grinding sound, haven’t driven on it for a while... I was told it is probably the wheel bearings in the front, anyone have any info on this? Anything would be great... I drive a 2002 corolla ce no abs.
  2. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    Yup, sounds like its the wheel bearing...good way to check is lift up the side u think has a faulty wheel bearing, and shake the wheel.....if it moves, wheel bearing is toast.....better save up $150-300..
  3. Offline

speedynole New Member

Message Count:
    thnx for the help... Anyone know of any info that could help with changing this?
  4. Offline

Silver_Nitrate New Member

Message Count:
    yeah that is a costly repair, mine caused 450 at the dealer
  5. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    What year corolla is it? If its a 98 - 01 then the wheel bearings are $29 for each side. Anyone that pays $450 is paying massive money for labor.
  6. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    me and a friend did it ourselves it cost 29 for the bearing and we took the assembly off and had a shop use there press to take a part of it apart for $50 and then put it back together...
  7. Offline

Silver_Nitrate New Member

Message Count:
    they told me they have to replace the whole hub assembly as well so yeah the part was like 260 and another 200 atleast for the labor so I think it was more than 450 that I ended up paying for
  8. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Holy shit, thats a hit to the pocket book. Well I have a bad wheel bearing and I just purchased two new replacements so I'm going to change them out in a week or two. I'm hoping that I can tap out the old bearing using a TAP and SLEDGE ;) Otherwise I too will have to find a shop with a hydrolic press.
  9. Offline

speedynole New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah i called Advanced autoparts they said they had a set for $30... so i think imma buy those and take the assembly to toyota and have them press the old bearings out. Anyone have any info on how to get this assembly out? I had someone explain it to me so I have a general idea but any specifics could be useful....
  10. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    id say invest in the haynes manual as it helps a lot... ill prob scan the pages if i can find them altho my haynes manual is BEAT up LoL....

also you may be able to tap the bearing out but my friends car was a biotch so we said fu*k it and brought it across the street to a gas station to do it quickly... and for $50 it wasnt that bad...
  11. Offline

speedynole New Member

Message Count:
    [IMG]
    So I got this far but the part circled in red dont want to come off... and help?
  12. Offline

AsianPersuAsian New Member

Message Count:
    Smack it with a Big hammer, but you shouldn't let it hang like that
  13. Offline

speedynole New Member

Message Count:
    Thnks for the Help... I got the that whole assembly off and took it to a mechanic to get the bearings switched out. Well it seems like some how the wheel hub got messed up while my wheel bearing was bad so now im in the hunt for one.

It would be great if someone could tell me a place with really good deals on a front driver side Wheel Hub, cause im over this whole repair thing.
  14. Offline

AsianPersuAsian New Member

Message Count:
    Why don't you check a car salvage place, see if they have one that you can take off yourself for cheap?
  15. Offline

SBUBandit New Member

Message Count:
    I'm pretty sure the whole hub assy is like 79 bucks on rockauto, so it still sounds like you got jacked
  16. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  17. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    i think my wheel bearing is bad as well....how do you tell the difference between a wheel bearing and a front axel?
  18. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I replaced the hub on a friends 98, and there's no way you can tap it out and tap it back in. Definitely need a press. And we got the whole hub assembly for 79 each.

As far as diagnostic, what TurismoDreamin said is a way to find general suspension problems, but if the wheel moves it could be a ball joint. Take the wheel off and try to move the lug bolts and see if they jiggle then the bearing is bad.
  19. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    i have a 96 and they charged me 250 for the whole job

for parts it was $80

they realind the car to
  20. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    come to think of it...i was driving today and listening carefully...but i think the noise i hear is from my header hitting the front stabilizer bar...hmm
  21. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    try rockauto.com

i like their prices
  22. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    If the car shakes at a certain speed and it makes this horrible droning like noise then it is your wheel bearing. Clanking, clicking or other stuff maybe be something else like your struts being blown or other suspension components
  23. Offline

katm2 New Member

Message Count:
    That's not always the case though. I had that problem a couple years ago and it turned out to be an axle.
  24. Offline

Gerson Back with another AE101

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    92 Lexus ES300; 95 AE101 Corolla
    Since u took that out, get the wheel hub and bearing assembly and send it to the shop that have a press to put the new one in. Make sure that you put everything in reverse order correctly. After road testing assuming its repaired and if tires are good, have the car in for an alignment.