1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Bad Axle

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by 93geoprizm, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    Bad Axle

So the other day i was gettin an oil change and found out the drivers side axle was bad. The rubber part was off and all the grease was sitting on a part under the car, i have no idea how long this had been for, is it safe to drive with a bad axle? I recently went to washington and back, around a 1200 mile round trip and god knows if it was bad before i went. What would be a good price online or store to get one and any recommendations?
  2. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    rockauto.com was definitely a good place for me. try not to buy the closeout items cuz sometimes the reason why they are on sale is something's wrong with them. also, apparently sometimes, the "hardware" (screws/nuts) dont come in the box. just an fyi. but definitely the cheapest and most complete place for parts i have found.

oh and I was driving around on one bad axle once too... but got it fixed asap. if you are doing to DIY, make sure to make a thread about it. :D id want to learn how to do it too.
  3. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    I wont be doing it myself but purchasing it and then getting it done by my mechanic. I looked on rockauto and did not find any. I just noticed something else also. Theres a CV Halfshaft and CV Bootkit. Now my boot is what was off the halfshaft with the rubber piece off and grease all out. Ill have to get it looked at if its the halfshaft that needs replacing or just the boot

found a few on ebay, any of em worth it?
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...w=93 geo prizm axle&_sacat=See-All-Categories

btw i need it for the drivers side with abs, even tho my abs sensors are bad at the moment
  4. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Not sure but I got the entire thing replaced... WOA, with ABS is expensive... I found it in RockAuto...

just go to Geo-1994-prizm its under drivetrain
    [IMG]
  5. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I like OEM axles, especially on lowered cars. I went through 3 vatozone "duralast" axles in 2yrs. I became a pro at changing them by now.
  6. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    lol yea ive only seen the the drivers side, god knows if the passenger side is broke too. But i doubt it cause when i used to turn, the left front be bottomin out while the right side didnt so now i know it was cause of the axles.
  7. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    You should still be fine if it doesnt click when accellerating into a turn or anything. If it clicks more than likely the joints in there dried up and are junk. If you open up the torn part and there is still a fair amount of grease with no clicking, just go to a parts store and buy a new rubber boot. Its not hard to replace at all. Just make sure there is a good amount of grease in there when you put it back together.

I had to do it on my accord and it took probably a half hour a side (with a lift and air tools)
  8. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    yea i was thinking the same, i bet ive had this problem for a while but have never really felt it. There was one thing that was bothering me and im sure this is the cause of that problem. When i used to turn right, the driver side with the bad axle used to bottom out and scrape the inner wheel well while that was not the case with the passenger side while turning left. There are still vibration problem but can axles be the cause of those?

thanks bro, was lookin in the wrong place
  9. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    bad axles wouldnt cause your car to bottom out.. however bottoming out may cause a bad axle. You should check your shock absorber, it may be blown.
  10. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Wait the clicking sound when turning is an axle issue? I have some ticking sound when im turning... ugh right i believe but none when im turning left... axle issue?