1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Auto Tranny having some problems

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by CorollaS916, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Auto Tranny having some problems

Hey I just started my car tonight to leave my parents house and low and behold, as I let it warm up, I slipped it into reverse, it took a few secs to react, and I started backing up off the driveway. When I went to slip it into drive, the car didnt move. I pressed the gas a little bit, and the rpms went up, but no movement. Then I slipped it back into reverse, and nothing...tried 1st, 2nd, 3rd (w/o OD), and 4th...and then reverse again, no reaction...anyone have any ideas wat the problem is?
  2. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
    Have you checked your ATF's level and condition?
  3. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, once i drained the tranny fluid instead of the oil (like a dumbass) and my car didnt move when i put it in drive...
  4. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah I checked the fluid level...its full...I also had my dad watch the gears switch from one to the other, so they are moving to the right location (he was looking at the "teeth" on the gears, and they were moving)....I do have a really high pitch whining noise just inside my wheel well, which I believe is located near the transmission "box"...Im really not sure how the tranny is setup on the corolla, so my terms are kind of lacking..I am calling the dealership today and i'll keep everyone updated.
  5. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Alrite, well just to update, my entire auto tranny is gone..the only one that works is nuetral and park lol...I am having it towed to the dealer today to have it looked at...hopefully they wont look at my car and automatically say its out of warranty. More updates to follow.
  6. Offline

DaChozn Guest

Message Count:
    Did you put a beating on the tranny while you had the car or have you driven the car normally....cause I have and auto and even though I've always drive normal it worries me.
  7. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    This is definitely one of the lamest thing ive ever read about. Toyota better fix this for free.
  8. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Alrite just to update the situation...I had my car towed into the dealership (at their cost), and the next morning when I called them, at 10am PST, they said the new transmission was ordered and they are going to install it tomorrow..Not only are they moving with great efficiency, but they're being pretty nice about it. Not a lot of hassle for having a modified vehicle (appearance wise)..And yes they are doing it for free, since it is under warranty. Just to answer the previous post, i do drive my auto kinda hard, but i dont think after 15,000 miles it should go out..Does anyone else?
  9. Offline

SentrieONE Guest

Message Count:
    Read my Cold Engine=Grinding Noise and BAD TRANSMISSION posts...

Sounds like the same shit that happened to me...Toyota fixed mine under warranty, lets hope all our cars dont have to go thru the same shit.
  10. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Hey SentrieONE, same exact thing happened to me, except my check engine light has been on and my car didnt stall, it just slipped out of gear. I wonder if this is going to be a widespread problem...
  11. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    What the hell was I thinking..My previous post made the dealership sound so good. I need to remember that we're talking about the dealership..Well update time. They have to order the new transmission from japan, so its not coming in until this sunday. I cant believe how long its going to take. Anyone know of a FREE loaner program that is standard, or is that dealership by dealership?
  12. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Order it from Japan? Are you serious? Doesn't Toyota have a plant in Calif or something? Cant they just get one from there?
  13. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Well the dealership is being really really nice to me. They have offered me either the Celica GTS or the MR2 Spyder for my loaner for the next week or so while I wait for my car. Which one would you pick?
  14. Offline

pkpss Guest

Message Count:
    MR2 !!! :twisted:
  15. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah thats wat im thinking...
  16. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    if it was me....im sorta curious how this "lift" feels and sounds
  17. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Id go for the MR2 as well. Its faster and RWD. Get a stick if you can. Id be interested to see how it drives.
  18. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    sorry to hear about your tranny ...

I was wondering if there were any earlier symptoms before the tranny blew ...
    That whinning high pitch noise got my attention. It happened to me 2 times ... but never again. I heard this high pitched sound coming from the engine bay somewhere ... i was kinda scared ... so i put it in park .. it went away ... put it in drive and everything was fine ... went to the dealer to inquire about it ... mechanic said that he coudln't think of anything except the belt ...

Going to 4rth gear from 2nd ... my tranny kinda jolts .... it's gotten a little better since i used lucas fuel injector cleaner ... (first time ... kinda makes the car feel smoother ... and less hesitation ... maybe the injectors were dirty)

but still the jolt kinda worries me ...

i don't know what i'd pick .. for the 2 loaners ... i've been in a celica .. no biggie .. but i never been in the new model mr2 ... looks fun to drive .. its small and can get around

good luck with your tranny ... btw ... aren't our cars from canada?
  19. Offline

SentrieONE Guest

Message Count:
    Our Corollas are made here in Fremont California...at the New United Motor Company...

as for the transmission coming from japan...i wonder why its coming from there...my transmission took a while i get in too...but they didnt tell me it came from japan.

all in all it took 2 weeks for them to get me my car back. they had me rent a car from enterprise and they paid for it. unfortunately the only car left on the lot was a FORD WINDSTAR....
  20. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ford winstar ouch. Did you ever ask them why they need to get the tranny from Japan?
  21. Offline

SentrieONE Guest

Message Count:
    nope...never asked.
  22. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    That little high pitched noise I heard was only wen the car was starting up cold at first...I would hear it real loud and then once the engine warmed up it woudl stop..But then it continued after it warmed up..I thought it was a belt too, but obviously it ended up being the tranny itself. Im going to get specifics and find out what exactly happened and why it went out. Im not sure why they're shipping it from japan, maybe the guyz making it sound better so that way i can understand why its taking so long. I've been w/o my car for about a week and 3 days now..im hurtin...Oh and I didnt get either mr2 or celica, they were gonna charg me 20 bux a day, so i said forget that. I got a camry though, and they hooked me up with the SE model...Wow this baby rolls.
  23. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Alrite, I just got my car back today, so happy to have it back. Interstingly enough, 2 things occurred. After I got the car back, one, my check engine light is off and has not returned, and two, my shift points feel different. I called up the service guy I was working with, and all he said was, "I just tinkered with it". I didnt want to really ask any further about it, but let me tell you, I remember after my break in period, this auto was slow to turn into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, basically all shift points...im sure all you auto owners know wat im talking about...and also I was only able to get up to 40-42mph at the end of 1st and shifting into 2nd. Well, not only is it faster shifting (almost 3/4sec faster), but i am now up to 45-47mph on 1st before it shifts into second. Could the service guy have done anything to make this really happen, or am i just loony? :?: