1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Any problems w/ silver stars??

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by bigdaddyk, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Offline

bigdaddyk Guest

Message Count:
    Any problems w/ silver stars??

I was think about switching my low beams to Silver Stars to get more light. Has anybody had (or heard of) any problems with them melting parts, such as the housing or any wiring. I've heard of problems with higher wattage bulbs doing this. My car is all stock, so I was concerned about the plastic housing for the lights.
  2. Offline

kriskraut Guest

Message Count:
    Nope, no problems here. I have had my silverstars for about a year and only had to replace the driver's side bulb once. They won't melt any house. Just be sure that when you are installing them that you don't touch the bulb itself or you might smudge it.
  3. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    No problems yet and I'm using a set that was originally purchased for another car...
  4. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    are they much brighter than the stock?
    according to sylvania techs the bulb last about a year ... due to the high performance of it ... it burns out faster ... and drl decrease the life of it ... it's good it's lasting so long for you

i was thinking of getting these... where can i get them for under 34$?shipped tax and out the door... cuz wal mart sells them for 38 before tax ... that's a lot

thanx
  5. Offline

Glaxtx Guest

Message Count:
  6. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Pep boys know what their doing. :roll:
    [IMG]
  7. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    Holy Mother Crap! I am gonna crap 2 set as soon as I get off work.
  8. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    I went to Pep Boys, and they didn't honor me because they said it's a TYPO. All stores were noticed this morning, and I was 12 hours late.......... :cry:
  9. Offline

ph0bi4 Guest

Message Count:
    "installed for only $5"
    rofl
  10. Offline

AznRolla Guest

Message Count:
    its not a bad idea to go ahead and get a cotton ball wet with alcohol and wipe em down right b4 u put em in the housing just in case u touched em by accident and didnt realize it
  11. Offline

Syndicate Guest

Message Count:
    ...I've had no issues w/my Silverstars.
  12. Offline

SquirrelMaster New Member

Message Count:
    i dont like them
    i've used them for quite a while and i always felt like it didnt produce as much light than the stock bulbs. But i thought maybe it was just in my head, til my passanger side bulb went out. So i put a stock bulb back into the passanger side, with the silver star still on the driver side. i noticed a big difference.
    Only thing they do is make the light look white but vision is not as good as stock.
  13. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah SilverStar looks cool, but brightness wise it's about the same.

Right now I am using 90w 9005 on the low beam. VERY bright.
  14. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    still ... 28.99 after rebate isn't that bad ... better than wal mart ...

i might pick one up ...

are you guys sure it isn't brighter?
    what about the H3 for the fog lights? if i get both ... will it increase my lighting? i'm having problems seeing at night ...
  15. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    aight .. finally got my silverstars installed ...

the color is noticeably different... definitely less yellow.
    The light glows brighter ...
    The midsection in front ... is brighter ... but the peripheral and the long shot ... isn't as bright as i expected ... needs more power to it or something ... would be nice if it was a lil brighter further out ... all in all .. it is brighter ... especially in the dark areas ... kinda wierd how it doesn't seem as bright when street lights are around ... i think my oem were working better during the street light parts .. not sure ... only drove 10 minutes with them ...

I like them though .. so far ... will let you know if anything happens or i change my mind.
    my fog lights still brighten the road ... i thought it would be bright enough so that my fogs wouldn't even have an effect ... but we'll see