1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

amsoil,mobil1 or eneos

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by monstajp, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Offline

monstajp New Member

Message Count:
    amsoil,mobil1 or eneos

ok gentlemen,
    i love my 10th gen corolla and i want to buy the best oil i can for it so i can make sure it lasts longer than my financining payments do.(7 years)ive done lots of research on the subject but i want to know what u guys think.WHAT IS THE BEST SYNTHETIC OIL ON THE MARKET????i am a sushi chef so i tend to like japanese products so i am thinking "buy Eneos" but research says "amsoil is #1"(first and best).then again, amsoil and mobil 1 have been going back and forth since the seventies. so i want to know what u guys think and why?
    P.S. i didnt dig up an old thread this time i started a new one.:D
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Royal Purple synthetic hands down. Look up the Synerlec technology in Royal Purple and that will convince you.
  3. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I like Motul myself.
  4. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    Royal purple, but its expensive. I didnt know you could finance a car for 7 years. I guess creative financing has moved out of the housing market and into the automotive market.
  5. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    I use German Castrol Syntec year round.

Good price/performance ratio.
  6. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    I second royal purple but they just went up in price recently which angers me. However I also like Lubromoly and Eneos. Mobil 1 is very good too and you can get it for the cheapest.

If you're not going to push your car to the limits once in a while, save your money and go for mobil 1. They meet full mfr specs for their oil and it won't break your bank.
  7. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i use amsoil everything in my fj (except transmission fluid) and will change the tc over once i am done with my free oil changes. if you're getting good oil, make sure you get a good filter.

holy sh!t, 7 years on an auto loan? that's almost as long to finance a boat. i never in my life would have guessed someone would need to finance a 18k car for 7 years. i did the tc for 6 years because of the economy, but i pay $125 extra a month to have it paid off in 4 years.
  8. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Motul or Royal Purple for me. Amsoil and Mobil1 isn't a bad choice either. The most important thing is to get the right viscosity.
  9. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    i just switched from RP to amsoil in all of my cars. if u read the some comparisons then ull see that amsoil is up in the top m1 and rp are close but not amsoil good. too bad my rolla is making it Disappear and i need to keep putting some in stupid 1zzfe motor
  10. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I've heard Redline is on par with Royal Purple as well.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Most synthetics are the same.. depending on the weather condition and how you drive you car, one brand may work slightly (eeny weeny tiny bit) better than another. The bottom line is will your engine be just as clean and lubricated 10 years to 15 years down the line as when you first start using it on a new engine.. that is the question. The only companies that i've seen that have had a 3rd party test this and published the information (actual 10 years, not simulated) is mobil 1, motul and lubromoly (tested on everyday cars and trucks). I also like eneos because about 10 years ago, they published (in japan) an article done by some other company (though partially sponsored by nippon oil) about how their high performance oil can hold up very well in a track car and after 3 years be just as good as when you first start using it. It was an impressive article to me. However, eneos is expensive and hard to get. Lubromoly (the german stuff) is pretty nice but hard to get and according to online forums and users, people have said that Royal purple is the closest to lubromoly so i've been using it for a couple years now. Biggest thing i've seen is with RP, it has increased my mpg a little so i was happy about that. whether RP will make my car last longer i have no idea.
  12. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Doesn't matter if you pour in the best motor oil money can buy - if you don't change it on a regular basis with a good quality oil filter and couple that with good all around maintenance, that oil won't help you at all.

Even conventional motor oil will protect your car for a very long time, as long you as you get routine oil changes. The quality of motor oils now is very good, pretty hard to go wrong with any of them. The real key is not who makes the the oil, but how you maintain the car. Couple the oil (correct viscosity please) with a quality oil filter, keep an eye on oil levels, and change it on a regular basis - should have no problems getting to last 7 years.

Personal experience:
    2002 Corolla (bought new) has a little under 160K miles and been running whatever synthetic motor oil has been on sale. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and still runs like a champ.

2003 Matrix (bought used @ 30K) has a little more than 110K miles and been running Mobil 1 synthetic exclusively since I picked it up. Again, doesn't burn a drop and runs really well.

1996 Camry (bought new) that has been using Valvoline All-Climate conventional motor oil almost exclusively. Burns maybe 1/2 quart every 5000 miles, but has just rolled over 300K miles! Runs like the day we bought it.
  13. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    Congrats. I want to buy my next car new and keep it forever too. I've been looking at the new Camry SE V6.
  14. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    ^^^ Thanks!

Hard to believe that it rolled up to that mileage figure. But then again, the S-family of engines were known to be very tough. Recently put in some money into the car to keep it running (new struts, new springs, new fuel filler tube, replaced most of the A/C lines, new brake hard and soft line, etc.) But the car has been so reliable up to that point - the extra cost was easily covered.

Yeah, we almost jumped onto a new Camry, but were taken by the "cheapness" of the interior. Kind of hard to explain, but the new generation of Camry feels more "domestic" compared to the current crop of domestics.

Material choice and fit and finish are sub-par compared to our old Camry. The increase in feature set and overall size is nice, plus a V6 that has some real power compared to the V6 available back when we bought ours. Couldn't justify dropping $25K-$30K on a car that looks worse than its 14 year old predecessor.

We'll wait and see what comes out next year. My folks might take a shine to the new Hyundai Genesis sedan. They seems to have hit the sweet spot of performance, size, fit and finish, and price. Too bad the chassis seems to never settle down completely on the Genesis, or it would have been a done deal.
  15. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    at sema, eneos had better looking models if that helps with the selection.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    it will for me!
  17. Offline

monstajp New Member

Message Count:
    that was alot to take in guys,does it make any difference if i say i live around the block from an eneos shop.but more importantly, who can recomend an oil filter?(k&n/mobil 1,trd oil filter,toyota stock filter,other??)and should i wait till 4000 miles or 5000 miles for the first oil change.i read my little book for my car and it says 5000 but that doesnt seem right to me.i like high rpm's lower gears,and i need an alignment cause i got an eibach prokit last week.i didnt really staart driving agressively till about 3000 miles.AND...can i put in synthetic oil for its first oil change or does more of the "breaking in process" have to go on (Insert new thread here)?
  18. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    why would make a difference that you live around the corner from a shop? you can switch to a synthetic when ever you want and you can go 5000 miles on an oil change. i sending in my oil sample soon to see if i can go to 7500 miles on an oil change. oil analysis is the only way to know how far you can go between oil changes. it's a corolla, no need to drive aggressively.
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    agree