1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Amber corners

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by 93geoprizm, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
  2. Offline

zjoanyg 00 Rolla

Message Count:
    personally, i wouldn't go with either of those... i remember from somewhere that if u use those kinds of paints, light won't shine through ur corners.... but hey i could be wrong, still a lil fuzzy.... anyways, when i did my corners, i used stained glass paint.... go with either krylon or tamiya.... they both are pretty reputable.... i used the krylon yellow.... yes, yellow.... one lil 8 oz bottle should be more than enough.... it looks pretty ugly when u first start out but after lots of light layers, it'll turn more and more amber....

[IMG]

3. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    thats the stuff i was looking for before i smoked my lights . . . .damn it!! my corners were starting to turn yellow so i was gonna just make them amber , but could not find that stuff anywhere. so i smoked them instead.
  4. Offline

zjoanyg 00 Rolla

Message Count:
    u can get the krylon's from any Michael's art n craft store.... i think u'd have to get the tamiya online.... they also have a red too, which is good if u want to make ur rear corners all red...
  5. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    hey, thanks for the info, so i should buy a yellow one? and do several coatings of it? how many to be exact? and if you could the steps you took, as in prepping them, sanding them, clear coating, all of that. BTW they turned out pretty nice, the ebay link i posted are all krylon but not the stained glass one
  6. Offline

zjoanyg 00 Rolla

Message Count:
    yeah, u want the yellow one... well since i had gotten my corners only a couple of months ago n they were still pretty new, i just took them off of my car... washed with soap n water.... sand it down with 2000 grit sandpaper if u have scratches.... tape off anything u don't want a yellow tint on.... spray single layers from top to botom.... the numbers of coatings, well that depends on how "amber" u want them to be.... the first couple of layers make the corners look like they're stained with some nasty piss but just keep going.... eventually u'll notice the color change.... after u have the tone color that u want, u can let them dry for a bit.... a couple layers of clear coat for protection.... and ur mostly done.... just leave them be for about a week or so.... then u can wash and polish them....

here is my finished product....
    [IMG]

7. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I noticed the krylon stained glass usually produced a deep amber while the "JDM" sprays usually produce a brighter orange.
  8. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    yea what zjoanyg posted is really dark, i just wanna match em with the side markers