1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Alternator and Wires Upgrade

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by darrenwang, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    Alternator and Wires Upgrade

Before replacing the Alternator, I want to upgrade the wires first.

I plan to upgrading the "Big 3" power and ground wire.

1.) Positive power cable from the alternator to the battery
    2.) Ground cable from the battery
    3.) Ground strap from the engine block/head to the body/frame of the car.

No.2 is the easiest one. It's just the wire connecting to the negative on the battery. How about No.1 and No. 3? Could someone kindly point out where they are actually? It will be even better with pictures. :)
  2. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    i'm thinkin of doin a alternator upgrade too, i've hot HID's and speakers does anyone think its necessary to do it??

darren what kind of alternator are you getting. i'll do some reasearch on a generic alternator in one of the electrical books i have at home and i'll let ya know if i come up with anything.

[EDIT] to add to that, i'm gonna be getting a power inverter for my laptop so that's gonna be another drain on the system.
  3. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    I am using the stock alternator. I am using high wattage light bulbs (might go back to regular 55 watt in order to ease the load of alternator), and my new audio system will have 1400+ watt RMS. That's the reason I want to upgrade all the grounding wires first in order to minimize the resistance, thus maximize the efficiency.

If I remember it correctly, HID requires huge amount to power to initiate, but once it's done, it actually takes much less power than halogen. Also how many RMS your sound system will produce?

Alternator isn't a cheap upgrade. It will cost you at least $300+ I think.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    i'm guessin i dont need it but i still wanna be sure. my sound system isnt all that. its just new speakers for now. my primary concern is the power inverter for the laptop

the alternator is the electrical motor lookin thing that sits there by itself mounted on the left front of the engine. when u look at it from the grill.
  5. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
  6. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
  7. Offline

Message Count:
  8. Offline

JFREE55 Guest

Message Count:
    Can't you just boost up the atly? That is what I was thinking about doing. From what I hear that it will only cost like 80 bucks....
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    coiling the wires up correctly is a problem and if u fuck that up its gonna end up costin even more.
  10. Offline

JFREE55 Guest

Message Count:
    o.. well i was told that you can take it up to the alty shop and they will boost it up for you..
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    that's true too, hey i got a offtopic ?, are u a part of XTC Dynamic i know the guy who started that thing, i was just curious cuz i think he showed me ur rolla's pix
  12. Offline

JFREE55 Guest

Message Count:
    WELL I remeber him talking about it, but he never said anything else about it.. So I guess not.. He wanted me to run his Houston Chapter, but like I said I never heard any more from him.....
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    interesting u still interested i can talk to him if you want
  14. Offline

JFREE55 Guest

Message Count:
    yea if you want.... See if he knows any paint shop that is intersted in sponsoring my Corolla.... I need a Paint Job..... Give him this email address
    jfree552003@yahoo.com