1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

airbag light

Discussion in 'Interior' started by corollinout, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Offline

corollinout New Member

Message Count:
    airbag light

i took out my stock seats, they had airbags in them, and since i did it the airbag light keeps flashing, is there a way to stop that other then taking the light out?
  2. Offline

Montana Guest

Message Count:
    On some cars, you have to go in and re-configure the airbag ECU to match the car.

Thing is, some cars you can only do that on once, then you'll have to replace the module.
  3. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    i were you i'd take it to yer local dealer... but it'll probably cost you a bundle... the thing is with toyota and safetly is that most of them are anti-modding... like yer seatbelts... if you dissasemble them... it's a pain to put them back together and actually make them retract like before
  4. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    Well since you took the seat out. Your warrenty is going to be void. So that is your own fault and you are going ot have to pay to have that fixed. And your dealership is the only place that can do that. I am pretty sure about this.
  5. Offline

corollinout New Member

Message Count:
    my warrenty was already void, 6th year. 150,000+ miles
  6. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    lol, my airbag light is flashing too...i screwed with the seatbelts, and i just took out the bulb to the light. now i dont have to see it anymore to flash!!

they wanted 80 dollars to hook it up to the computer to see what was wrong. i said fawk that and left.
  7. Offline

Montana Guest

Message Count:
    Thats not expensive by the standards up here (think 93$+).

Honestly, I would pay the money to see what it is and then make your decision on that. In terms of car mods, $80 really isnt too much.

Usually what I see go bad with airbags is the contact coil in the steering wheel. It keeps a constant connection with the driverside airbag whatever position the wheel is in. Eventually the coil will wear out.
  8. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    my airbag light has been fixed by Toyota many times (while on warranty) and w/in a week to a month the damn thing is flashing again....stupid Toyota...now I cant even get my car smogged cuz of that shit...I think I will just unplug the light or airbag module or something for the smog.
  9. Offline

CaptainCorolla Thread Captain

Message Count:
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    it is required that all safety equipment is properly working in diagnostics be4 they can legally smog your car....@least in CA thatz how it is
  11. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    if that light is flashing, will the airbags NOT go off? I have an extended warrenty on my car, but they said you pay 80 dollars up front (i dont have) and if what needs to be done is covered under warranty, well pay u back.

i basically told them to fuck themselvs cz im not paying them to tell me its somthing stupid.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    i believe it should be covered under your ext. warranty...toyota just tries 2 rip people off...i'm not sure if it will not go off if flashing
  13. Offline

Hokis4ever Guest

Message Count:
    You can take the bulb out! But then if there is really something wrong, you would never know!
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    thatz what i plan on doing but i think they will run a diagnostic @ the smog place and find there is still somethin wrong cuz itz 4 the state referee
  15. Offline

Hokis4ever Guest

Message Count:

Never new tests were that strict in Cali... Where I am (canada) the emissions test is a joke… my old 87 corolla, with original catalytic converter passed with ease….... Ahh I missed that car!
  16. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    lol, yeah, i just took out the bulb
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    What the hell kind of other crap do they check at the smog places? They aren't gonna worry about shit like clear corners and altezzas and whatnot are they? I assume from your answer that they ONLY care about stock stuff that doesn't meet SAFETY specs.
  18. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    They check to see if u have a catalitic converter, check that ur car seat belt works, make sure that u have like 3 visible vin numbers. and they do some other stuff.
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    That's cool. In the state I grew up in, they do a yearly FULL vehicle inspection. Lights, tires etc. If I still lived there, I'd have to take off everything once a year (or just give up).