1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Aftermarket engine/trans mounts

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by GSE21tuner, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Aftermarket engine/trans mounts

Well I've been experiencing deteriorating engine mounts and they finally completely crapped out. It actually caused some damage as well. The rear mount cracked and caused the engine to rock too much making my acceleration suffer. To make matters worse, the rocking put too much stress on my flex pipe on my header and split it open. So now I have another exhaust leak and that coupled with the rocking slows my acceleration down even more. That makes this my third exhaust leak. And the rocking was the culprit to the rattling of the flex pipe against the sway bar. OEM replacement mounts were quoted to me at 550 from the stealership. Luckily, I found a company that would fabricate me some high strength polyurethane mounts for me at a low promotional cost. I'll keep everyone updated on the aftermarket mounts.
  2. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I never did get around to measureing them.. haha and I got the calipers and engine mounts sitting right in front of me.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    It's alright. I'll get the measurements later this week when I remove each one at a time. hehe I have to send pics too so they can confirm the sizes.

I got them out and measured each one. They're all 3 inches in diameter except for the FR and tranny mounts. I sent the pics and measurements to the company already. Now I'm just waiting for a reply and hopefully a good one.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    The mounts are getting retrofitted right now and will be ready to ship out to me by Tuesday! I can't wait.
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    The mounts are completed and being shipped back to me for installation. Only the rear torque mount and front engine mount are polyurethane. Pics will come soon.
  6. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    :D nice, keep us updated
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I asked about a group buy and he was willing to do it, but the start up costs are too high and demand is too low. He has the measurements from the set I sent him, so if anyone wants a set, he can recreate them individually. However, the front mount requires welding.
  8. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    just go to an autoparts store and pick up replacement mounts... if you want them stiffer then just fill the voids with urethane and call it a day.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Do it yourself polyurethane mounts just don't compare to the ones made professionally. I would have done the same, but the diy ones don't last. They crack after a while. Plus it takes forever to cure and it's tricky to cure evenly.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    i did do it myself, years ago. and my turbo gts thanks me.

good luck with your one off pieces and the custom welding. hope it all holds!
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Why would I need to worry? I sent them out to a reputable polyurethane engine mount shop. Plus the AE86 and ZZE110 mounts are completely different. My friend replaced the mounts in his 86 just a few months ago and helped me replace mine as well. And btw, I'm sharing this info for all those interested. There's no need for sarcasm. There's more than one way to get the job done.
  12. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    so how much was it?
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I was quoted 100.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    didnt the shop say they werent going to do them anymore due to cost and low demand?

i was just pointing out the simple way.

and i was talking about the trans mount on the corolla. a very similar construction.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    The shop said that they couldn't do a group batch since they would have to make completely new molds which their current line doesn't have. Those cost some money to make and won't be offset with sales since not many people will buy them. But they can make them on an individual basis.

You were really lucky when making and replacing the engine mounts in the AE86. There's only 3 mounts and don't have brackets per se. The motor just sits on top of them in a V shape fashion. :) So simple and easy. I wish mine were like that. I have to pay someone to remove the subframe to install the rear torque mount. I already tried to do it myself, but doing in a driveway with no lift proved to be improbable. I mean I could have done it, but it would have taken forever, not to mention dangerous. We were using 2 jacks as it was. One to lift the frame and one to lift the motor.

Oh, I see. The tranny mount I already replaced with an OEM replacement. I'm not too concerned with upgrading those. I'd rather stiffen up the mounts that deal with the engine torque. I might fill my old ones with polyurethane and replace them later on. However that means I'll have to upgrade the passenger side mount too. The problem is that my passenger side mount is sealed and if I open it up, they're ruined. :(

Passenger side mount(old)
    [IMG]

Passenger side mount(new and installed but no pics yet)
    [IMG]

Tranny mount(installed)
    [IMG]

Front mount(installed in car already. Soon to be replaced with the old mount with new bushings) The rubber bumper on the left side is extra and not on the stock mount. It made it a pain in the ass to install since clearance is so tight.
    [IMG]

Rear torque mount(before being sent in)
    [IMG]

So far, I only have 3(front, passenger, and tranny) out of the 4 mounts installed for now. As soon as the mounts with new polyurethane bushings come in, I'll pay someone to replace the front and rear for me.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    those are almost identical to the 9thgen mounts. i ponied up the 30 bucks for energy suspension front and rear torque mount inserts and they are a breeze to install... ive actually done 4 sets of them for the local corolla/matrix folks.

do you think the ES mounts are an option?
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    From what I see, Energy Suspension only offers the AE86 and 9th gen mount inserts. They skipped over the 8th gen completely. It's kind of annoying actually since this happens to us 8th gen owners all the time. :( I also checked with Prothane as well. No such luck. I'm sure that they might work, but without exact 9th gen measurements, I can't be 100% positive. I always could have bought a set of 9th gen inserts and hoped they would fit, but I just don't want to take that risk.

Would you happen to have the measurements for the 9th gen mounts? Perhaps you have an old insert laying around? I can compare those pics to the ones I posted above and see if they are similar enough to work. I'm sure other 8th gen owners can use that as a reference later. They seem to be 3 inches in diameter all around. The circular metal brackets aren't all dead center though.

Here's the verdict. Only 62.50 shipped for the front and rear mount bushings. Plus the shop pressed them in for me already. I love this company.

Speed-Source Design. Fabricate. Produce. Install. Maintain.
    The Speed-Source Polyurethane Engine Mount Kit is engineered to replace the stock rubber front and rear mounts with solid polyurethane. A steel insert keeps the poly mounts centered and locates the thru-bolt.

Included in the kit are 4 identical polyurethene bushings, 2 metal spools, and fully illustrated instructions. These mounts will fully replace the old rubber, not merely fill the holes in them. They are commercially formulated, vacuum-poured, and post-cured. The metal spools are zinc-dichromate plated for corrosion resistance and should give years of trouble free service. Red bushings are Shore 75A hardness formulation. While any urethane engine mount will increase the level of vibration felt in the cockpit, Speed Source found the Shore 75A mounts to give little objectionable increase on cars with stock mufflers.

Pics of installed mounts will follow.
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I had the mounts installed so quickly that I didn't even have time to take pictures of the polyurethane mounts. They're already installed and working like they should. My rattle under acceleration is gone except for extremely heavy acceleration, probably due to the cracked flex pipe itself. The mounts are so stiff that the car shakes like crazy at start up and shivers in idle. haha I love it. Off the line pick up has improved. It just gets up and goes. There is no hesitation. Power to weight ratio is much better. I have to let the car warm up though before driving, since when the motor is still cold, it shakes vibrates like crazy. LOL :D
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    Did speed source already have the sizes you need or did they have to custom make them?
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    They had to custom weld existing sizes into the mounts.
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    so they cut out the round housings and weld in housing from another car to make it work?
  22. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Let's go autocross this sunday!!!
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    They pressed out the old inserts and welded an existing size that they had.

I'd like to, but I still have an exhaust leak and new suspension to take care of. :)
  24. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Use whatever you have. Let's do it! Atleast you could compare your old set-up to the new one.
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    I just cut my old bushing out using a knife when I did mines:p Who did you talk to at speed source?
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Carl. :) I talked to him over the phone. I'm actually going to send in my old mount set for him to develop the exact size bushing inserts for other people in the future.

btw, I have a hood rattle now. LOL :D I think I need to readjust the rubber hood dampers. It sounds exactly like this.
  27. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    sorry for old thread revival but how much does it cost to get engine mounts replaced at a shop usually?
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    OEM mounts from the dealer cost around 500 bucks. Installation around 200, unless you have a connection. I got mine done for 40 bucks.
  29. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    its so cheap at rockauto..dunno why its so expensive elsewhere.