1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Adobe Flash Player Not Working

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MyTotaledCorolla, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Offline

MyTotaledCorolla Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I had some technicians remotely control my computer and get rid of a bunch of malware. Now I have Norton Secutiry Suite. After all of this, I noticed I could not view videos on YouTube. It tells me I need the latest update of Adobe Flash. So I googled adobe flash player and downloaded it from the following link:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

I closed my browser at the request of the downloader and restarted my computer. YouTube is still telling me I need to upgrade to Adobe Flash. Is the Flash player they force you to download from their own link different from the Flash player I can download directly from Adobe's website?
  2. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Need a bit more info:

What OS are you running?
    What brower(s) have you used / are using?

Gut feeling, it has something to do with Norton Security Suite and/or leftover or incompletely cleaned malware. Also assuming that the techs that took control of your machine to clean off malware didn't leave something behind/changed permissions on something.

Norton Security Suite is known to cause some headaches until you setup the all the permissions, exclusions, etc.

Some programs are not compatible with NSS - according to Norton's, the only workaround is to uninstall those affect programs. Norton's did have conflicts with version of Adobe Flash - so you might want to head over to the Symantec and Adobe forums to see if there is a patch you can download.
  3. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Norton is denying you privileges to the program, you need to go into your settings and allow it.
    That or use a different browser like google chrome or fire fox.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    XP Pro SP3 using IE 8.

Called the service engineer (not technician, my bad) and he reset IE's internet options and then disabled Norton, then enabled it and it worked. So it was one of the two, most likely Norton as RussianH2o said.

Thanks for the help. I should have just called the guy back before posting anyway. I dropped $130 on Comcast's Signature Service so I might as well milk it for all it's worth.
  5. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
    Sorry to troll this thread. But Norton is a horrible piece of software. I would consider something else. Windows Defender is what I have been using, and I haven't had any problems with viruses.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    I just downloaded Norton Suite because it was free from Comcast. Before the major cleanup I used Symantec Endpoint Protection, and while it didn't stop anything (my careless browsing habits didn't help), it at least quarantined all of the malware that infected my computer. I never payed attention to the antivirus stuff, always assumed it took care of itself.

Is there anything worth noting about Windows Defender besides never having problems with viruses?
  7. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
    I would recommend Windows Defender for your viruses, and then malwarebytes for all the spyware and malware

Nothing really worth noting
    other then it doesn't hog all the resources, and try to control everything I do :)
    MyTotaledCorolla likes this.