1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

accidental ff drift

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by Barnacules, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    If you wanna drift just wait for it to snow :) I dont care what anyone says with 4 inches of snow on the ground and low profile tiles with no snow capabilities drifiting is just a turn of the wheel and push of the gas away :) Hehe.
  2. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    accidental ff drift

is it possible that by upgrading either only the front or only rear suspension of a ff car, and leaving the other end stock that you can initiate a sort of faux-drift?
  3. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    no, ff can't drift, only ass drag..

if you want to drift, get a 240, 86, or rx7 and just fuck with it
  4. Offline

NRM NRDADDY > YOU

Message Count:
    slvr is right.

You need to lose traction in the rear to drift, so you either have to make the wheels in the rear spin faster than the front (impossibile on FF) or lock up the rears (e-brake method). Lots of people just understeer like a mother and think "SCREECHING TIRES I'M DRIFTING, OMGOMG." It's a waste of time in an FF, get a beat up FR if you're into it and have a go at it then. But if you aren't a cartoon character named Takumi, you'll probably fuck up and mess up your car.
  5. Offline

steve403 New Member

Message Count:
    hahaha thats funny. Yea, only takumi can do a perfect drift!!
  6. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    you just said it yourself. you can use the e-brake method.
  7. Offline

NRM NRDADDY > YOU

Message Count:
    I won't get too into this argument because it'll go on for days by FFer's who wish they could drift with their FF cars.

The e-brake method is the ONLY method for FFer's that leave no versatility and is terribly hard to control and maintain. Drifting is a controlled oversteer and fastest way around a sharp corner or bend. Truth of the matter is, you cannot keep speed and an oversteer in an FF car with or without the rears locked.

By most, you CANNOT drift in an FF car. It is hard, it looks stupid, it doesn't satisify the initial need for drifting (fastest way around a corner), and it is also hard to control the e-brake and shift lever at the same time if needed. Yes, there is an e-brake method in FR cars, but it is only to lose initial traction and then they drop it and slam the gas again.

I just sold my beatup '81 RX7 after I got in to a close call. You take a RWD car out to a parking lot, you slam the gas, pull the wheel back and forth and you fishtail. You do that in a FWD car, you understeer like no other.

I have never seen a decent FWD ebrake "drifter," except for two guys in heavily modified boxed cars in some Japanese show, but other than that, it is too hard and too useless.
  8. Offline

Capeside New Member

Message Count:
    Sometimes when I'm bored and it just rained, I go to an open lot, get up to speed, not that fast though, and then turn sharply while engaging the e-brake. Then I try to straighten the car back out. Sometimes I can straigten out, and sometimes I keep spinning and pull 360s. It's fun when you have a passenger, cause you can make anyone scream like a girl when your car's spinning out of control :D. I haven't done this in a while, though, cause I know it's dangerous, and it's not good for the car.
  9. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    Well, you can use harder suspension in the rear, and soft suspension in the front. That way you will you will so-call "draft" (over steer is the right term here I guess) whenever you turn. :p
  10. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    You could always steal some trays from Micky D's...
  11. Offline

CivicEater Guest

Message Count:
    understeer is FRONT DRIFT..

we should start hosting UNDERSTEER DRIFTING EVENTS!!! YEAH!!!
  12. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    haha

understeering competitions.. measured by the degree your wheels are turned while maintaining a straight line of travel.

by no means can one drift (in the controlled sense of the term) with a front wheel drive car, but with a stiffer sway bar in the back than the front, it is quite possible to achieve oversteer. this is somewhat different from ass dragging where the e-brake is used to initiate the oversteer in that there is a little bit more control: you can control the angle of your oversteer with the throttle and steering is not worthless. it's possible to negotiate a corner in this manner and uninformed bystanders will definitely think that you are drifting.
  13. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    LETS DO IT!

and also, if you haven't seen the falken EF civic drift hatchback in person, he's actually pretty good . but for the sake of humanity, please, keep FF drifting (ebraking, assdragging) off the streets. maybe for those who are interested in ff drifting, try yourself out at the next driftday.
  14. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    Plenty of cars FWD, RWD, and AWD understeer.

You can get a FWD car to oversteer without the E-brake and without snow. Its all about weight transfer. Off the throttle and heavy braking (not locking though) can get the rear tires loose. Especially if the tires are bald or if you have an aftermarket rear sway bar.

But thats oversteer, not drifting. The E-brake, throttle lift, and hard braking are all techniques for controlling oversteer. But not enough people can control slides back to back in a fwd, like a rwd, to be noticed as it. Thats my theory. I have seen Fwd do some wicked stuff, and it did involve an emergency brake, but an e-brake is considered for use in drifting.