1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

acceleration issues

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by GSE21tuner, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Have you done a full tune up recently? You'll want to check your plugs, compression, accessory belt, vacuum lines, and fluids.
  2. Offline

2000vvti Guest

Message Count:
    acceleration issues

i bought a 2000 prizm 1.8 vvt-i and its acceleration is super sluggish.
    it has better acceleration at half throttle than at full throttle. it takes like 20-30 seconds to get from 0 to 40 but after 40 it will jerk a little then start accelerating quicker any solutions?, also it turns over about 12 times before it will start if it is cold or warm it dosent matter still stalls and sometimes will quickly die???
  3. Offline

2000vvti Guest

Message Count:
    oh and the only time i could get good acceleration from a stop light is if i hold the brakes down and hold the throttle 1/3rd in and on green let off the brakes then it will accelerate a little better but still not much.
  4. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    this might sound awfully weird but i got a 85 nissan maxima that does the same thing. So i installed a intake mantifold and amazingly the problem stop.
  5. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
  6. Offline

rolla996 Guest

Message Count:
    This past summer i had a different problem. While accelerating i would suddenly lose power for a split second. It kept happening over and over again at speeds of 35 and higher. I used fuel cleaner, changed all my spark plugs with NGK ones (ideal for rolla), and changed the air filter. I also changed the oil and did something i don't entirely recommend. After i drained my oil from the car, i started the engine to remove all the oil within the block and after 2 seconds turned off the engine. Thick black oil came rushing out. Took 2 minutes for the rest of the oil to come out. The problem went away and it ran smoother than ever. I suggest u do the same, everything costs about 30 bucks if u do it u'r self.

The following week i changed the belt and my car seriously felt like brand new. Ran like the first day.
  7. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    <br />
    The nasty black oil probably clogged up the oil passageways to the vvt-i mechanism. If that happened, then the vvt-i won't work and could cause acceleration issues. I've heard of this happening before. I also know that you should change your oil at 3000 miles and not the 5000 miles that toyota recommends in the service guide. I honestly believe that's why so many people are having issues with rod knock, spun bearings, excessive oil consumption and so on. I change my oil every 3000 miles, never missing a beat. I also you synthetic oil, which runs a lot cleaner in the engine not to mention all the other good things it does compared to the conventional oil.
  8. Offline

rolla996 Guest

Message Count:
    i change it every 3000 miles with synthetic as well, but for one summer while i was in Vancouver, i let my friend borrow the car and he changed it with conventional oil. Didn blame him cause he didn know and still don't know why so many ppl say that u can't go back once u go synthetic but i thought that may have been one of the problems. Or i thought that water somehow got to my spark plugs when i was cleaning the engine bay.
  9. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    I had the same problem with my car when my MAF was dirty. I remember when i got my car from my friend i was soo excited to drive it around bc it was like a luxury vehicle compared to my old one. Took it on a drive and instantly hated it. It would bogg down at every stop light and almost die. Also when i would first start it up it would run like crap for a few minutes, die and then after I started it back up for the second time it ran okay. Just go to advance and get a can of MAF cleaner. There should be like a grey can with a little red straw Its called MAF cleaner i believe and its like $6.00 Fixed my problem and my car accelerates accurately now.