1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 96 corolla swap

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by corolla performance, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Offline

corolla performance New Member

Message Count:
    96 corolla swap

Well im new in this forum so hi to everyone.

I want to do a swap to my 96 corolla but i dont know what's the best option: a 20v silvertop or blacktop? a redtop? a bluetop?
    I was thinking on both 20v either black or silver top but im not quite sure so if anyone could tell me how which one of this engines runs beter with a turbo, does the 20v runs good with turbo? because i havent seen a 20v turbo running yet
  2. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If you want to turbo, best bet would be to ge a 4AGZE (1.6 liter supercharged), which makes anywhere from 145 to 170hp depending on the specific gen. of the engine you get. And since the engine is already designed for forced induction (because of the supercharger), it would be a perfect candidate for a turbo.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    You could also just get a regular 4AGE, I believe those can handle 6~8 PSI quite reliably
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    And if i dont want to turbo it?, only for curiosity. So in the case i decide that i want to stay N/A which one should i get?

Does the 4agze the gen that has 170hp runs good? remember it will be on a 93-97 corolla and my plans are to run at least 14.5 in 1/4mile with small mods.

And where in the net could i find front lips of gze's cause is not that easy to find one i good condition and with all the things needed for a swap. And also whats the top speed of a gze?
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    If you tune the 4AGZE correctly it will run good. It is a Toyota engine after all.

170hp in a 2300lb car should get you into the high 14s stock, then you can always modify the engine for more power.

If you are going N/A, i'd personally go with the 4AGE Smallport (130hp, 7600rpm redline if im not mistaken). I know the 4AGE 20V makes 165hp, but that i also on 100 Octane, which we do not get over here, on our shittier gas (91/93) it doesn't make nearly as much power, and parts are harder to find for that engine (basically because it was never sold in North America).

The 4AGZE was sold in North America (MR2, lates 80s/early 90s) and the 4AGE Smallport was also sold in North America (90-92 Corolla GT-S).
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm from venezuela and the regular gas is the 95 octane and pretty cheap so gas its not a problem and also u can get 100 octane or 110octane i think.

The small port 4age is the one call red top? the aftermarket is good?, u said that with that 170hp of the gze i can run high 14s so with the 20v should be almost the same. Where from other part of the worl i can get aftermarket parts for the 20v? and does somebody knows webpage that sells front clips? cause I think i will go with the 20v

thanks for the opinions and help
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm not sure where to buy front clips for that, best bet would be to find local performance companies that can import engines, they should be able to get a price for you... if you can get 95 or 100 octane, then the 20v would be perfect for you...