1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 95 Celica Engine swap

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Kyllan, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Offline

Kyllan Guest

Message Count:
    95 Celica Engine swap

Can anyone tell me if a newer celica, lets say a 2002 Gt-s engine can be swapped into an earlier 6th gen, lets say 95 celica. If so, how complicated of a swap and such?
  2. Offline

JDLangevin Guest

Message Count:
    Yeap, it could be done. I've swapped a 2ZZGE into a '98 Corolla and it's not too bad.

Is the Celica an ST or a GT?

The thing is, you can swap a 3SGTE in which is an even better engine. I just did one of these actually (finishing up this week).

Check it out at http://www.phoenixtuning.com/ and www.northeasterntuners.com

-Doc
  3. Offline

Kyllan Guest

Message Count:
    The car im swapping into is going to be a 95 Manual GT. So i believe its already starting off 5 speed...... well hit me back bro.....
  4. Offline

JDLangevin Guest

Message Count:
    Okay well have you considered the 3SGTE? It's an easy swap into the GT, 2.0 Turbo 225hp.

-Doc
  5. Offline

Kyllan Guest

Message Count:
    Thats probably the engine im going for, would you happen to have any diagrams as to where the two different engines mounts are going to be?
  6. Offline

fiveSFE Guest

Message Count:
    the 3sgte motor has the same mounts as your celica if you have a gt.
  7. Offline

rolla96dx New Member

Message Count:
    ahh burning my head.. there was some specific difficulties doing the swap.. can't remember now though, been too long. going from a 5SFE to a 3SGTE is easier on paper. but not that bad.

as for swapping a 2ZZ-GE into it, bah, just forget about it. older celica's are too heavy, 2ZZ-GE doesn't have enough torque. its a high end engine, only problem is it'd take you a lifetime to hit those spirited revs...