1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

9006 XENON BULBS

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by CorollaAudacity, May 20, 2003.

1. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    9006 XENON BULBS

I just got the 9006 Xenon bulbs. They were pretty cheap, now, i need to install them. I never wanted to change the light bulbs on a car before, but this corolla seems to have such a yellow light. Anyone know how to install the lights. Maybe a quick DIY can get me started.
  2. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    look in your owners manual, it tells you how and has pictures.
  3. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Be careful, a few things to watch out for: don't try to put 100W bulbs in without a harness kit, you'll fry your DRL box or your wiring.. Don't touch the new bulbs before you put them in, they'll blow out quickly. Don't drop the bulbs, and don't bang them on anything while you put them, they will pop and toss thin, sharp glass.

I tried a couple different bulbs, all the way from the blue tinted ones, to the Silverstars. Get the Silverstars!
  4. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    how many watts are the bulbs anyways. What kind of bulbs dont need the wire harness? Does the Xenon need one?
  5. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    If the bulbs are made by any reputable manufacturer, the wattage will be printed somewhere on the socket. I had 65W low beams in for almost two weeks with no problem, other than my constant worrying about smelling smoke all of a sudden.

True Xenon bulbs are called HID bulbs. They definately need a aftermarket harness. Contact Stinky on this board, he runs a excellent Web site where you can get one.

The rest of the bulbs are PARTIALLY Xenon filled. That makes them a little brighter, but you do have to watch the wattage on those, since the manufacturers like to up it to make them even brighter.

If you're talking about the blue-colored "Xenon" bulbs, be aware that they're already illegal in the state I live in, and will probably be so everywhere else if they're not already.
  6. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the compliment ToyMan.

As a quick note, chances are if you got the bulbs from Ebay they are running higher than normal. It really wont hurt to run a relay harness anyway, even if you have the stock bulbs.

I had to pull the battery out of the car to get in to do the bulbs on the driver side. Some ppl on this board indicated that its not neccesary. If you have small hands you may be ok.

Its esiest to get a flat blade screwdriver and pop the connector off the bulbs before you pull the out the housing. that way they wont be hanging all over there.
  7. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    YW stinky.

I can get my lows out without yanking the battery, but no way will I get the high out on the drivers side without pulling it. Don't use the highs that often anyway so I'll probably just leave them stock.

I just use my thumbnail to pop the clip off (maybe I have strong thumbnails?). Was afraid if I used a screwdriver I may break one of the tabs, and end up duct-taping the dang thing back on.

Stinky is right, the aftermarket harness pulls current right off the battery, bypassing the DRL circuit, so your bulbs will be brighter. I'd put one on, but my wife would yank my bottom lip up over my head for spending MORE money on a new car..
  8. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    Forget the 'xenon' look bulbs!

Go with Sylvania Silverstars !!! :)
  9. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    since so many people like the silverstar, im getting them then. Do you need wireharness for that. Thanks for all your help guys
  10. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    Nop! Just remplace your stock bulbs with the Silverstar ones!
  11. Offline

xflywonthanhx Guest

Message Count:
    man ever since i got my silver stars, everybody been saying how bright my lights are, but wen i look at my lights reflected off the back of the car in front of me, they look yellow, not white at all, but if u look at the light when my car is pointing towards you, you can tell that it is completely white!
  12. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    xfly, interesting you say that, I noticed the same effect with them bouncing off my garage wall, they look yellowish. But when I get out of the car and look at the reflection on the wall, it's white as can be. Wonder if it passing thru the windshield is making it look yellowish?

oh yeah, been meaning to tell ya...dang those blacked out headlights look sweet on your ride! wonder if they'd look that good on my Moonshadow...
  13. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Also I will add that if you have to change your bulbs it may be worth it to do the DIY I did for relocating your intake snorkel. That way it wont be in the way behind the headlight housing. it frees up some space, and allows me to change ALL my bulbs in less than 3 mintues. No need to move the battery or anything.
  14. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    stinky where did ya hide that DIY?
  15. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    its in the Engine section. Meth is takig forever to add it to the DIY section. I'll go bump it to the top again.
  16. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Meth is under pressure, I can wait!

The VCP I'm putting in my ride is coming in tonight. Once I get it in the trunk I want to submit a DIY for building a shelf for amps, VCP, etc, using the 10mm holes the rear deck speakers used (before I put the new ones in) to use. It came out pretty nice, and I still have all my trunk space.
  17. Offline

sleekaman Guest

Message Count:
    Sylvania Silverstarts and PIAA ION H3s

I've tired the PiAA super whites on the low beams and did not see any differencet. I've since tried the Silverstars and do notice a significant difference. I had my brother-in-laws' S right beside mine, with full lamps and fogs on, the Sylvania was better. Clearer, brighterr and somewhat with a slight purplish colour. Yes, I'd recommend the Sylvania Superstars anytime. Just yesterday I put the PIAA ION Crystal H3 replacements to the fogs, and boy, what a difference. Looks pretty cool and the look of the IS300. I'll try to get some photos of them and post them.

Harvey.
  18. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    oh cool, lookin forward to see that IS300 look :)
    btw did anyone try PIAA xtreme white H3 fog lights?
    are they brighter than stock?

btw sleekaman, how much u got ur PIAA ION Crystal H3 for
  19. Offline

sleekaman Guest

Message Count:
    cost

Alpha-vvti, the bulbs costed me $90 Canadian, for the pair...I bought 1 each, they do not sell them in pairs. They are packaged with single bulbs.
  20. Offline

imported_Zero New Member

Message Count:
    here's a pic of my silverstars...i don't see any hint of yellow...just a nice clean white
    [IMG]

hey i'm hurt...u never seen the black headlights on a moonshadow corolla before? :( I've had them for a while hehe and to be honest...these headlights look best on this color IMHO

[IMG]
  21. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    sleekaman, when you have the pic please show us
    coz i reli wanna see how tight that Piaa Ion Crystal is gonna look on our Rolla's :D

and Zero, how did you make ur silverstars to be so bright...
    is it some techniques with the way u hold your camera
    or thats the effect of the black headlights

look @ mine, i use silverstars too but....
    [IMG]
  22. Offline

Crazyness Guest

Message Count:
    Wanna compare those with HIDS? ehhe.. man.. I want to get those Piaa yellow fogs but they cost like 5o bucks. Im pretty close to that is300 look now... still saving up to get trd springs.

[IMG]
  23. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Zero sorry for the hurtin! They do look so excellent on your ride. Now I gotta find something else to ebay to get the $$$ to go blacked out!

Alpha, they look WHITE to me!

When I look directly at my Silverstars, they're bright white. When I'm sitting in the car, and bounce the beams off my garage wall (or a car in front of me), they look a tad yellow. When I get out of the car and look at the reflection on my garage wall, it's white again. SO, I think it may be the windshield that's adding (or subrtacting?) color when the light goes thru it on it's way to my peepers.
  24. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    Anyone know where to get the silverstar bulbs, except from ebay.
  25. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Up here in New England we have AdvanceAuto. Paid 19 bucks each bulb.
  26. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    CorollaAudacity, you can get the silverstars in Kragen too
    they are everywhere lol
  27. Offline

imported_Zero New Member

Message Count:
    i didn't do anything special i just took the pic, it maybe the black headlights...they're aimed higher than the oem headlights :)
    [IMG]
  28. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    03ToyManm, i didnt mean the silverstars are not white
    just that comparing to Zero's, Zero's is even whiter thats all lol
    now i m saving $ for HID kit + black head lights :)
    hows it gonna look if i installed black headlights on my indigo ink pearl rolla?
    or it matches better with chrome
  29. Offline

sleekaman Guest

Message Count:
    Some of my Silverstars and PIAA ION H3

The Heads and Fogs, sorry for the small pics, couldn't quite make it bigger.

3156 Super White Replacement, when it lights up, its very white:
    [IMG]

PIAA ION Crystal H3, see that tint of yellow
    [IMG]

Full Heads and Fogs On, hard to see, but the Silverstars look purplish on my car.
    [IMG]
  30. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    oh cool, so that Piaa Ion Crystal is like white but with the yellow tint
    arh.. i see... are they brighter than stock?
    coz i find the stock fog lights is more for the look rather than really find it useful while driving lol
    anyhow, thats cool
    thanks for the pics
    i think i m gonna get the Piaa Ion soon for my rolla