1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

9006 sylvania silverstar lights

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by wildFIRE, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Offline

wildFIRE Guest

Message Count:
    9006 sylvania silverstar lights

hey any one if these lights work for our 03 corolla
    the're the 9006 sylvania silverstar..... i'm not sure oif their good ..
    also i wanted to kno wif their legel .. i dont wanna get pulled over ....and how long do they last.... i dont wan be buying new blubs every month... alriet thanx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2412626626&category=42613
  2. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
  3. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    yes these silverstar bulbs are pretty good
    i installed them 2 weeks ago, and they are brighter and whiter than the oringinal ones for sure
    also gives you the look of HID too, but of course not as bright as HID :p

plus they are legal
  4. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    yes the bulbs are simply amazing, i've had mine in since december.
  5. Offline

SF_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    had mine since february and they are the best. better act now if u still want the rebate...$10 :wink:
  6. Offline

Syndicate Guest

Message Count:
    ...the bulbs are pretty good, I've had them since maybe November. The output is very white, I have the 9005 for the high beam lights as well...very nice.
  7. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    If you get the relay harness for them you can wire them to come on off your marker light. then your DRL's will be dissabled too so they will last MUCH longer.

I prefer 110W bulbs though, no matter how legal or illegal they are.
  8. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    110W???

Stinkey, you're running 110W bulbs??? Wow, I was worried about running 80 watters! You haven't had any of the problems associated with over-watt bulbs, like fried wiring harness, melted headlight plastic, or way-shorter bulb life?

I ran 85 / 95 watters where there should have been 55 / 65 in my Kia for three years...that was back in my "see no evil" days, with no problems. Now I'm so scared I'll cook my harness, I'm afraid to experiment :!:
  9. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    my lows were 110w, and my highs were 90 watt. I did actually blow the DRL relay when I was using them. So I put the stock bulbs in and got the dealer to fix it. Then I made a relay system for it. I went through low beam bulbs aboyut every other month, but I drive 2,000 km a month. When they rate bulb life I beleive its based on 500 - 800 km a month. So acroding to that I got about 5 - 6 months of usage. I did have one buob blow up in there, but it was freezing cold when I put it in and I think the temp change so rapidly caused massive condensation on it and that blew it. NOW I finally dissabled my DRL's and the bulbs are expected to last about 6 months of my driving. Ill let you know how it goes. I'll see if I can find a pic of the bulbs. It was "F/X" brand. in my opinion they make one of the best bulbs and they can be had on Ebay for the same as the other guys. the reason I like those is coz they are 5,000k abd 5,500k as aposed to most those other guys that are around 4,000k. HID's on the lowest settig run around 6,000k so these ones I use are VERY close!!
  10. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    How did you get the peices of the blown up bulb out of the headlight assembly?

I've already considered building a relay system to run some high-watters. A couple things stopping me...first, my Baby Lex is still squeakey new and I'm afraid to go changing too much right away (except for the tunes system of course), and second, where I live, the cops are so bored not only would I get pulled over for too brights, I'd probably get fined for about 30 different "violations" they'd invent, and more than likely have my forehead bouned off the hood of my car a few times (they don't LIKE to see people outside at night!).

Maybe I'll take a Dremmel after the moldings where the driving lights would be if I had them, and mounts some after market driving lights in there. Shouldn't be too expensive to get replacements if I wanted to switch back later.
  11. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    found my lamps

I bought off ebay some 65 watt "xenon" bulbs, and put them in. Not sure who they're made by, but the light is definately whiter, and brighter. It has that ever-so-slightly blue tinge to them.

Think I'll be happy with the look, how long they'll last is up in the air still.
  12. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I actually took my built in vacuum cleaner and got a small rubber hose. Taped it to the end of the vacuum hose to make a smaller suction thing, then stuck it in through the headlight hole. I got all the glass up except for a few peice. But it also wrecked the alinment of the headlight from moving that plastic peice in front of it a little. I got that fixed now, and also cleaned the rest of the headlight out when I cleared the corners the other day.

The thing to watch with the bulbs on Ebay. they say "55w looks like 85W" so the sellers advertise them as 85w bulbs when they are not. The ones I bought said "110W looks like 150w" so they had them advertised as 150W. they where bright though. You could mabey wire up a thing to the relay so you can run half the voltage to the bulbs then they wont be as bright during city driving so the cops will leave you alone.
  13. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, I watch for that kind of stuff (on ebay). Always check seller's feedback before I buy, figure if they were scamming someone would have nailed them.

Anyways, these bulbs are both marked 65W, both the 9005 and the 9006, but they are definately different bulbs, the filaments are diff and of course the lows have the silver tip on them. All the box they came in says is "Made in China".

They really do look good lit up, and are for sure brighter and whiter than my wife's 03 stock bulbs. Happy with that.

Wondering, has anybody considered adding a dropping resistor in the DRL output somewhere, just to dim them during the day? I don't want to do the parking-brake trick, I'm worried if there ever really was a real problem with the brakes and I had the lamp on the dash taped over...