1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

9006 LED headlights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greyrolla, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Offline

greyrolla New Member

Message Count:
  2. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    massively interested :D

=====================================

apparently they aren't really bright... in some other pages tell them off as a "fog light" bulb

=====================================

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6282

Final rating criteria:

Durability: 5
    These LED light bulbs will likely last the life of the vehicle without any measurable degradation in their performance.

Looks: 5
    Depending on your tastes, these bulbs produce a very bright "white light" that could be perceived as a HID unit. In terms of "bling factor", these bulbs can really sweeten a ride without the electrical and mechanical durability issues of NEON or HID kits.

Performance: 4
    Neither the 9005 (18 LED die) or the 9006 (1 LED die) can be counted on for night time driving. While the 9006 is strictly a bling part, the 9005 is a perfect fit for DRL duty.
    The amazing benefit however is on the power loads as they consume so little compared to their Halogen counterparts that the vehicle's headlight monitoring system may light up a DRL warning light on the dash.

Value: 3
    These bulbs are still not very competitive with the mainstream high quality halogen tech. In addition to being more expensive they also seem to lack the manufacturing quality as evident by their slightly out-of spec dimensions.
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    That ebay auction is all false advertising. Before and after pictures? Give me a break. Those are fake. They aren't bright at all in reality. This is actually a downgrade compared to halogen or HIR bulbs. 35W50W/55W HID's are the way to go. But, if you're still interested, these are much better.
    http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRL-LED/Amber-LED/2-V-LEDS-AMBER-68-M-SMT-p7333643.html
    http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRL-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-6K-HID-WHITE-28-p7662651.html

VLED's always use the newest LED's and are the brightest on the market.
  4. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    those are only bright enough to be used as decorative lighting. LED headlights are heavly relied on optics, they won't throw out anywhere near enough light in a halogen housing.
  5. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Okay, LED headlights might sound like a bad idea but what about for tail/break lights?

[IMG]

Lots of side light to brighten up the entire reflectors etc and some front lights.
  6. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    LED headlight technology is actually being added to BMW, MB and Audi and I have heard some great reviews about it. They are saying the lighting output is going to be INSANE and even brighter than a D2S set up and all that and longer lasting and cheaper than the HID set up. I know I read it somewhere in a magazine but gotta find the article and see if I can give u guys a link for it. I will stick with HID's for my fogs and low beams for the moment cause they are good and may get into the market for these once other ppl try them on their cars as an aftermarket and see how they work then.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I use VLED flat panel LED's for my taillights. They are indeed bright. About twice as bright as the halogens that were in there before. However, I don't see how they can ever compare with HID's. They won't even come close to the output of my 50W 4300K.
  8. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    There wont be "aftemarket LED headlights kits" simply because it is impossible to distribute the light without correct optics. The only possible way is if you do a complete retrofit. LED headlights is not jus a simple lightbulb.

[IMG]
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    So a massive retrofit is needed.
  10. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Whos gonna be the guinea pig? :D
  11. Offline