1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY 8th Gen Auto to Manual Conversion

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by vortex, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    8th Gen Auto to Manual Conversion

Ok, well I saw that someone had posted into a thread that I put the instructions into and it reminded me to put it in the DIY section... so here it is. the parts pricing is listed from 1sttoyotaparts.com or Bob Bridge Toyota in Renton, Washington. Either way you want to contact them, they don't care. :) They may need to be updated with current prices, but it should be close.

Here's the parts list:

0. 5spd Gearbox - complete housing ($1498.83)

1. Clutch Pedal Assembly
    2. Brake Pedal Assembly

3. Master Cylinder ($71.50)
    4. HYDRAULIC LINE, Master Cyl To Hose ($7.49)
    5. HYDRAULIC LINE, Flex Hose ($16.36)
    6. HYDRAULIC LINE, Hose to Slave Cyl ($8.13)
    7. Slave Cyl ($46.10)

8. Release Fork ($33.93)
    9. Release Bearing ($25.45)
    10. Pressure Plate ($57.92)
    11. Clutch Disc ($40.11)
    12. Flywheel ($194.95)

13. Shifter Assembly (recommend trd short shifter)
    14. Shifter Cable
    15. Select Cable
    16. Cable Grommet & Plate (inside 2 hole)
    17. Cable Grommet & Plate (outside 2 hole)

18. Transmission Bracket (Drivers Side) ($28.27)

----

Installation Process

1) Remove center console - this will also have you remove the lower dash panels on the drivers side (knee bolster) and passengers side (glove box)

2) Remove the metal guard on the drivers side (located behind the knee bolster)

3) Remove the air duct that runs behind the knee bolster.

4) Remove all pre-punched cutouts in the insulation (there should be 2 - one where the clutch pedal mounts, one higher up under the dash (you can use the clutch pedal assembly to figure out where these are))

5) Using the clutch pedal assembly as a pattern - cut out the three holes necessary for the master cylinder bolts and plunger to clear the firewall. You can do this with a unibit and a hole cutter - you will want to use the smallest drill you can find to get it under the dash. This is one of the hardest steps in the entire process.

6) Once the holes are cut, loosen the nuts on the brake pedal assembly and remove it. You can now move the master cylinder for the brake system around to fit the master cylinder for the clutch system into place. Also this paves the way for you to replace the brake pedal.

7) Once the master cylinder is in place, you can bolt the clutch assembly into the car. At this time, also bolt the brake pedal assembly in (5spd version) and continue to use the same brake switch from the automatic in the 5spd version. This will be important.

---

I recommend doing steps 1-7 and COMPLETING them prior to anything. This took me 2 hours - however I have experience in cutting in cramped places - it may take you a whole day, it may not. However - at any rate, you can still drive your car at this point.

---

8) With the pedals installed you can now down your car for the next 2 days. LOL (jk it may only take a day for this if you plan it out right)

9) Remove the Automatic Shifter Assembly and ECU.

10) Follow the shift cable's path and locate the grommet's which hold it in place. There are 2 bolts on the interior grommet. Once this is removed - it's time to go under the hood.

---

Now here's the huge debate... Honestly - the easiest way to swap the trans it to pull the motor. Now before you go ' omg! ' there is something that you must remember.

a) 3 of the 4 motor mounts are bolted to the transmission - only 1 is bolted to the engine.

b) most of the wiring harnesses you'll have to disconnect to move enough stuff out of the way to support the motor anyway, so that argument against removal of the engine is moot.

c) with the harness issue out of the way, you have an A/C line, power steering line, a few misc coolant hoses, 1 bolt and the engine is free. the transmission stuff was an obvious ' have-to '

d) this guide does not contain information on removal of the motor/trans - but there are some things to keep in mind. There are 4 mounts, 2 axles, quite a few wiring harness clips, hoses, etc.. etc.. just take your time and you'll be able to pull it.

Once again, I highly recommend the removal of the entire engine/transmission assembly for this portion. If I had done this - I would have saved at LEAST 5-6 hours. The rear motor mount HATES life when the motor is still in place, so its your call. The rest of this will assume you did remove it all.

For the record - my record time on a full motor swap on a 1ZZ-FE is 4 hours - removal, transmission move, replacement, cranked. Total time it took us to cram the friggin transmission into the engine bay with the motor still there attached to its one mount and supported - 8 hours.

---

11) Remove Transmission (and hopefully it was attached to the motor)

12) Remove exterior shift cable grommet, remove shift cable. (which should have been disconnected from the trans when you pulled it, lol)

13) run the shift and select cables for the manual transmission - ensure that you have placement correct and the grommets all bolt into place without a bunch of tension on the cables (ie its not pressed up against the steering rack or anything)

14) Once the shift cables are in place and the exterior grommet is bolted up - bolt up the inside grommet. Once this is comlete, bolt the shifter assembly in. I recommend at this time you may want to upgrade the shifter to the short shifter. -- Once the shifter is in place, you may plug up the ECU and mount it.

15) Swap the transmission on the block. Make sure you torque the flex plate and clutch correctly and everything mates up. Once this is complete, you're almost set. Also make sure you bolted the transmission brackets (which matches to the rubber motor/trans mounts) in place. - remember you can use the front and rear from the automatic but the top-drivers-side must be the correct one you get from Toyota.

16) Make sure the master cylinder hydraulic line is mounted up to the master cylinder and to the chassis. There is a small clip on the line which matches up to a hole on the chassis where you can bolt it. Make sure the slave cylinder line is bolted to the transmission correctly. If these two are correct, the rubber line will go right in smoothly.

17) Drop the engine back in and bolt everything up. (4 bolts for the mounts first people, hehe) Once the engine/trans is secured, hook up the shifter cables, lower wiring harnesses, hoses, upper wiring harnesses. (in that order)

18) You're done. Exception the tiny detail of now your car won't crank... I'll post up the stuff later and if someone happends to do this swap before I do, PM me and let me know so I can give you the info on the wiring. NO WIRING IN THE CAR IS TO BE TAMPERED WITH! THE ONLY WIRING YOU NEED TO MODIFY IS ON THE HARNESS THAT WAS ATTACHED TO THE AUTO TRANS!
  2. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    nice long write up,make this thread sticky.
  3. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    meh?
  4. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    You need to jump the black and black/white wires at the tranny plug. Ideally, you would route this circut to the clutch start switch so that the engine only cranks with the clutch pedal depressed.

Also, you need to wire in the backup light switch, which is the red/blue and red/black wire.

Further, if you have a 4-speed auto, then you'll need to wire in three 15ohm, 25 watt resistors in place of the shift solonoids, or the ECU will throw a check engine light.

One last thing. Travis mentions removing the entire engine and tranny together because the rear mount is such a pain the butt. He's right about that rear mount, there is simply no way to remove it when doing this swap. There's an easier way though: Unbolt all of the 19mm bolts that hold the subframe up, including the crossmember, and the front and rear mount. (leave the drivers and passengers mount in place at this time). Takes about 15 minutes and the whole assembly will drop away, including that pesky rear mount, and leaving tons of room for removing and installing the tranny.

Trust me, I just went through this today :D

-Doc
  5. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    odd... i never had a CEL from the shift solenoids.
  6. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    That's because you never did it on a 4-speed with OD, right? :)

Also, if you want your cruise control to work, then you need to splice in the blue wire with the black stripe (or was it black with blue?) that goes to the tranny plug into the red wire with a blue stripe that goes to your backup light switch. This tells the cruise ECU that the car is in drive and will allow it to work.

Also Travis, another thing I ran into, you mentioned that the front and rear brackets and mounts from the auto can be used, and only the driver's side bracket needs to be changed. However, when I did this conversion this past week, the front bracket and mount where fine, but the rear one didn't bolt on.

I needed to first cut off one of the metal blocks on the side of the bracket to clear part of the tranny, and then I needed to install two washers BETWEEN the bracket and tranny for it to sit straight. Finally, it would not line up with the rear mount correctly, it was offset to the left (from the driver's point of view) at least an inch, if not two. I forced it into place but it was obviously not a correct fit. I called Toyota on this and they said that the rear bracket AND mount is different. Personally, I think the mount would work just fine, but I would suggest getting that rear bracket from the manual to make it work better. Did you run into this?

-Doc
  7. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    wierd... did you do a 98/99? - maybe they changed something in 00+ that i'm unaware of... and the tranny i changed was in fact a 4spd OD, again maybe something changed in 00+ i'm unaware of.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Steve aka. Hazer did a MT conversion on a 97 and mentioned he was still getting a CEL even with the resistors.. he ended up swapping ECUs which isnt too expensive since they can be found for around $50 on carparts.com.

Those procedures are pretty much the same on the 93-97. The driver side and rear engine mounts need to be changed as well.

Anyways.. i've noticed on my 96 that there is a 2nd cable where the throttle body is and it goes down to the tranny area. I think some people refer to this as the "Down Shift Cable" Is that cable deleted after swapping to a 5spd?
  9. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    oh maybe thats why i didnt throw cels... i swapped ECUs. :)
  10. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Oh well yeah, if you changed ECUs then obviously you won't throw a code! This is how to do it without having to change the ECU. I wasn't able to put my hands on Steve's '97 and it's just too hard to sort some things out over the phone, though I'm certain I could have gotten it fixed.

This was a '98 by the way. Travis, what about the rear bracket? Did you change that out with the 5-speed version?

JspeXAE102, yes, that cable goes away. It is in fact referred to as a "kickdown cable" or "downshift cable".

-Doc
  11. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I used the brackets off my auto trans since they were in better shape than the brackets on the manual... they bolted right up and lined right up without a single issue. odd you had issues... *scratches head*
  12. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    ah, looks like im gonna have to go to tweak summer 08 .. when i've learned stick and rounded up some money :) book me now tweak :)
  13. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    lol yeah, it can be a real mother
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    took me 2 days. Its a bit of a PITA without air tools. I was sliding all over the garage floor with a breaker bar.
  15. Offline

94corolla-chafita uhh im a dude..

Message Count:
    great write up. so it would be easier if i just got the 5sp ecu and wiring?
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    search for the 7th gen writeup.. it has the answers to all you questions.
  17. Offline

94corolla-chafita uhh im a dude..

Message Count:
    mmmkay thanks

cant find...