1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 5-speed shifting problems

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by crb530, May 13, 2011.

1. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    Hey guys i havent been on here in forever because i returned my corolla to stock and building a baja bug but here is my problem

I have a 96 corolla dx 5-speed and it will not shift correctly

It will go into 1,3,5 but as i try to shift into 2,4,R the shift housing on the trans does push the car into gear. if i reach in with my hand i can get it to click in easy. the shift cable has no breaks in it. Its the cable closest to the passinger. It almost seems like the bushing on the trans side of the cable is worn out being there is play in the bushing. I cant seem to find just the bushing for sale and i would hate to buy a whole new cable for 300 bucks when im trying to sell the car.

does any one have any ideas for me please help

-Chris
  2. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    no help from any one?
  3. Offline

crolla "Wait did I just lose to a corolla?"

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    ZZE110
  4. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    its because corolla transmissions blow...replace the bushings and hope you dont need a tranny rebuild
  5. Offline

Ash16valve Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1991 AE92 RSI 4AGTE, 2006 Run X TRD Spec
    it could be your synchros that is fckd
  6. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Wish I had a manual so I could help.
  7. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Nah usually when you've got a problem shifting it's due to the shift assembly on top of the transmission. I'd look more towards this being suspect due to the fact it's having a problem going into 2,4,R and those are the gears on the lower half of the shift pattern. Something's not lining up correctly in the shift assembly which would most likely point to bushings more than anything. If those are out of whack and there is too much play the selector can't engage correctly and change to the lower half of the pattern.

We had a similar issue after one of my engine swaps... put everything together then couldn't shift gears to save my life... 1st turned into 3rd, 2nd and 3rd was non-existent, etc... it was wierd... we changed out the selector assembly on top of the transmission and reconnected the cables and it worked perfect after that... to be honest, it always amazed me the wierd ingenuity behind how that whole assembly actually shifts gears, lol.
  8. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I was I didn't have an automatic so I could know what the hell you're talking about.
    Added: May 29, 2011 11:20 PM
    **wish
  9. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    Well guys I replaced the cable bushings with the brass one and still no change

So if it is the shifter housing on top the trans how much will I be looking to spend for the part......anyone one know?

Also could it be the shifter fork inside the trans?

I need help so if anyone know please help
  10. Offline

crolla "Wait did I just lose to a corolla?"

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    ZZE110
    Your best bet would be to go to the junkyard and take it off there. I just picked up a complete transmission for my 8thgen for 120. I wuldnt recommend buying it new since ur tyrna sell the car.
  11. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    if i pick up a trans from a junk yard how much do you guys think it will cost for someone to swap it for me?

i mean im sure i could do it but idk what a swap takes on a corolla
    Added: Jun 20, 2011 5:43 AM
    isnt the shift assembly in side the trans? all i see are the two things that come out of the trans for the cables to hook on to.
  12. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    Well got some new news today after taking to a shop they said it was my shifter cable. kinda good news i know i dont need a new trans. now the down fall shift cables cost 300 plus about 250 to install cause i cants seem to get the old one off.

so here is my question who has a junk yard near them and could pick me up a cable from there? i would pay for shipping and the price of the part with a little on top for who ever gets it for me
  13. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    what year/model is it? i'll take a look around.
  14. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    1996 corolla dx 5-speed
  15. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    I have still yet to find that cable at a junk yard and dont want to pay 300 bucks for a new one
  16. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Still pokin around here... that is a rough item... you may consider just finding out if a junkyard has a 5spd corolla sitting in the yard somewhere as they may not be listing that part but it may still be in the car.
  17. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    Thanks vortex

yeah i have been calling around there are no real yards around my house thats y i was just looking for the part so i dont have to drive an hour or two.

but thank you for looking
  18. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    Well guys im biting the bullet and buying the cable from a dealer it will cost me like 250 but i need to sell my car i have a gst waiting for me at my friends house so forced induction here i come