1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 3sgte engine swap for a 2003 corolla S?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by RexPelagi, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    3sgte engine swap for a 2003 corolla S?

Hey does anyone know if it is possible to swap a 3sgte engine (from 90's ish celica) into a Corolla S, and obiviously change the tranny from an auto to a man.? It has been done on a 1999 ish celica but sadly I lost the link when my old computer died. Well anyone know if this is do-able?
  2. Offline

BLADDER_MASTER Active Member

Message Count:
    It's do-able. You'll just need the money for it, which is a lot.
  3. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ya i figured it would be expensive. Any clue how much work would be involved? I would think that it wouldn't be a direct swap, and might require shifting the position of some things under the hood, but I'm really not sure. As for the cost if I had someone do it, the engine costs about 1000-2000, and for installation I was estimating about 3000-5000. Any clue if this is close?
  4. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    i think it'd be cool if u dropped the 3s-gte into a rolla but if u manage to do it then ur gonna have to be carefull if u up the boost cuz it'll be so hard to get traction in a car as light as this... but anyway hope it works out :D
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    I suggest you talk to JMS003 over at Newcelica.org who swapped in a 3S-GTE into his 7th gen Celica GT. It carried the 1ZZ-FE, the same engines you have so he should be able to answer your questions. Like I said, it's do-able, you're just going to need the money for it.
  6. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Thank you for putting me in touch with him, and showing me another Toyota Forum. I sent an email to him and am awaiting reply, but i think he will be able to answer my questions.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    No problem. Let us know what happens. I'm also interested in knowing how much would it cost.
  8. Offline

CorollaD4D Guest

Message Count:
  9. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Well after contacting JMS003 on Newcelica.org he sent me this response. If anyone else is interested in the swap, this is some good information in my opinion. CorollaD4D provided a link to one of the places he recomended. Here is what he sent me:

My Company ships in the engines by 40ft container. We do not have any in stock at the moment. We did the 2001 celica swap at my company. Don't have an exact price but would be somewhere in the $7000 to $10000 area. We had to fabricate custom parts to make it work. It can be done in the Corolla, hard to tell exactly what would need to be fabricated (we have done one in a 95 corolla). We are usually the first to do these 3sgte swaps. I think we have done this swap in almost every toyota body. We are very good at doing these swaps, and our Technicians are ASE Ceritified and Factory Trained Toyota Certified. The only other companys I would trust to do these swaps is Fensport (europe), or Toysport (california).

Jayson
    Jamasco Auto Repair Inc.
    JMS Motorsports Inc.
    954-985-9958 Office
    954-985-8723 Fax
  10. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ok I thought I should add this after checking out corollad4d's post. I will say that he has found a link to the fastest corolla I have ever seen. Check it out if you are at all interested, the car can beat a viper i think. Here are some specs:

WEIGHT
    1420 KGS WITHOUT DRIVER.

PERFORMANCE
    419BHP AND 370 LB/FT TORQUE @ 1.6 BAR BOOST.

QUARTER MILE 11.63 @ 117 MPH,0-60 IN 3.65 SECONDS.

TOP SPEED IN EXCESS OF 180MPH

NOW YOU ALL CRY AND WISH YOU COULD COME CLOSE
  11. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    wow 8) ... anymore details about the car? year, engine and such?
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Thnx for the info.
  13. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    The year I'm unsure about, but the engine is a 3sgte JDM engine, and the corolla may look odd, but thats because its some non-American version. The website provided by CorollaD4D has all the info, I just posted a select amount of it. Here is the link again.
    If you can see that (it is white and all) then here it is again.
    http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcarsmain.htm
  14. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Well I found a 3sgte engine for $1,149.62. It is remanufactured, but comes w/ a yr warranty on it, unlimited miles. Is that a good price?

Also found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=2451215339

And this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=2451449310

The second one though specifically says no ECU or tranny..

And finally, this one is a nice one:

http://www.total-boost.com/index.cf...gine/item_num/JDMTOYOTA3SGTEC/jdm_engines.htm

Good hunting!!
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    If you're going to swap in the engine into a Corolla, I suggest getting a clip. It's going to come with everything you're going to need.
  16. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah Im leaning toward that approach..Im going to look around here at some local junkyards and see if there is a mr2 turbo sittin around..i highly doubt i'll find one though..Wat all is going to be needed?

Motor
    Engine Wiring Harness
    All required Cables
    ECU
    Distributor
    Complete Intake Manifold
    Alternator
    A/C Power Steering Pump
    All Brackets and Sensors

Is this wat is mostly required?
  17. Offline

Message Count:
  18. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    I am going to head into a local shop, specifically the one I would have perform the swap for me and find out how much and such...They do gsr and h22 swaps all the time, so maybe they will know wats needed...we'll c. All those parts I listed on my previous post is wat the 3sgte engine i found comes with for $999.00...It is the JDM version as well..
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    Damn, not bad. The only thing I see missing from the list is the intercooler. I'ma try to look to see in the other forums for shops that do 3S-GTE swaps around your area to see if its any help.
  20. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Wow, that'd be great, appreciate the help on that..yeah the intercooler i'm hoping to buy an aftermarket one and have it installed at the same time...cause i know the stock ones can sometimes be "limited"
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    Here's a place I found and it's in Sacramento.

http://www.venus-auto.com/

They have clips and engines. I don't know if they do swaps, but maybe they could help you out.
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    The stock ones sucked because when you would be at a stop, the heat from the engine bay would build up on the intercooler. The newer intercoolers that were found on the ST205 Celica's were much better and didn't have that problem.
  23. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Hey you guys seem pretty interested in this. If either of you go through with it let me know how it went and all that. Let me know if you find a definitive cost also. You guys are lucky, Florida and California; you can actually find a shop that can do it. Up here in Ohio, they'd be like 'sure we can put that 3sg... o wait what was that? 3stpe right? Is that a tractor engine? O wait I bet it goes in a Honda. Ok we'll need 1 hour and we'll put that new set of headers in for you.' lol
  24. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Hell yeah, thanks a bunch...I'll check em out and keep everyone updated.
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    Hey, there seems to be a shop around your area. I don't know exactly where this shop is, but it should be around. Don't know how close though. Check them out:

http://speed-source.net/

Edit: I'ma keep looking. You seem to be right about Ohio cause it's been hard looking for a shop.

Edit2: Crap, I just found out the shop is in IL.
  26. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Did you see a location somewhere? I couldn't find one on the website.
  27. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    I guess I neglected to let you know, but the ST205 is the one im looking at getting, thats the price i quoted for 999.00...comes w/ 255hp stock...
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    Damn, so cheap. Those engines are more expensive than that.
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    IL. Said it on my Edit2
  30. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Came from a I think 93 toyota celica he said...34,000 miles on it..He said they have a large supply of them b/c of the requirements in Japan w/ the newer older car registrations....they have to get rid of em after a certain time frame...im sure u know this