1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 20v black top vs. 2zzge

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by midnightrolla, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    20v black top vs. 2zzge

so guys wut do u think is the better engine 4 the 8th gen? the 20v black top or the 2zzge
  2. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    Overall power: 2ZZ.
    Better price: 20v.
  3. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    For the price 20v is lots cheaper. But for preformance of coz 2ZZ is better.
    And what do you mean "Better"? price? preformance? easy to do??
  4. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    yeh i saw ur car also at jack in the crack was gonna say high but u when go drive threw, well as for the engine i wanted 2 go overall performance. since my friend has a t2 rx7 and the other has a 07 wrx. i wanna boost either the 20v or the 2zz to keep up with them. so agen which whould b the best engine to keep up with those cars?
  5. Offline

808trd Guest

Message Count:
    hey dude i seen your car in waipahu jack n a crack around noon... may i say it's even nicer in person and as for your question i'd go 20v well dats what ima be doin to my rolla
  6. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    Don't try with a Corolla. It's not gonna happen unless you have REALLY deep pockets.
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    By the time you start swapping out motors, it won't even be a corolla anymore. You might as well just buy a new car.
  8. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    yeh true dat, but my frend gotta pay off his wrx since its an 07. so i have planny time 2 build my car LOL. as for my friends T2. man that car shoots flames its animal, he is saying he can spank the wrx anytime. but i'd just have 2 c. Does the 2zz engine cost more then 7k? and also when i do safety check are they gonna let me past. cuz i think i probs need 2 get rekon-_-
  9. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    -_-, but i love my corolla ^_^ . and yeh my frends sed probs can keep up with them if i boosted a 2zz or 20v because, tc boosted can spank a wrx. and i'm shure the corolla is a lot lighter
  10. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    Maybe Christian Rado's tC. But then again, you're putting $20,000+ into a tC to beat a $25,000 WRX. :p
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    And then if you put the same 20,000 into a WRX, hardly anything will be able to touch that. LOL btw I would take AWD over FWD anyday.
  12. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    3sgte will get way more than 220hp. a few mods here and there and 270-280 easily. i still say cheapest route is 20v. a 1.6L 20v, get some lower compression forged pistons, cams, better injectors, blah blah blah, and get about 220-250bhp. since the engine will be about as light, if not lighter than the 1zz, it wont throw off the weight balance ratio of the car (which with the 3s you will have to do some heavy suspension mods to compensate for heavier front engine) and you may not have VVTi but you still have VVT. i just like the 20v because if you NA tune the car you'll still get about 180bhp and if you turbo or supercharge the car, you'll get 220+bhp. And as of right now parts are still widely available.

Now the only time i would recommend a 3s is if you are planning on making the car awd, then go for it. that was my dream. until my corolla died.
  13. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    if your looking for boost, then stay away from the 2zz. it can be boosted, but just not worth it.
  14. Offline

MattAveli Modifier

Message Count:
    why not drop a celica 3sgte instead of a blacktop/duzzy boost setup. the 3sgte is boosted already. with the money you'd save from not paying out the a$$ for a duzzy. then paying to get it installed, then again on top of that paying to get a boost setup done. and again same scenerio with the blacktop. everyone is right you'll need "very" deep pockets, a new car would be cheaper. now a 3sgte would still cost money, but probly a hell of alot cheaper then the other two scenerios plus it's boosted so with the money you'd save you could upgrade the turbo.
  15. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    3sgte... hmm well its a nice turbo motor but its only bout 220 hp while the 2zz is like 180. boosted would push more then 220 also high rving making the 2zz much better then the 3sgte. also since its a new engine i wont worry about the engine blowing or overheating.
  16. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    so ur saying u would go with the 20v since its lighter and if i boost it its gonna get more power then the 3sgte? doesn't 20v has liek 160? if i boost its gonna b just as much as the 3sgte.
  17. Offline

808trd Guest

Message Count:
    i was gona throw the 3sge from my 86 celica gts into my rolla and boost but instead of awd i was goin to leave it FF, dis isn't gona happen anymore since i sold the car... so right now im plannin to swap in a 20v N/A of course or boost the older 4age motors.... idk yet but will see
  18. Offline

808trd Guest

Message Count:
    hey mattaveli is dat your rolla in your sig? it's nice btw are those gsr fat 5'z you have on?
  19. Offline

Message Count:
  20. Offline

808trd Guest

Message Count:
    hey midnightrolla were you plan on gettin your motor anyway?
  21. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Between 20v BT vs 2zz-ge in N/A? I'd go for the 2zz-ge.

If your planning to go turbo? I'd say neither, bite the bullet and go for the 3s-gte.:D
    [IMG]

I've read that it powered the first supra GT500 on JGTC in the early 90's. I know they had a HUGE budget, but just sharing what that engine is capable of.:D Same thing with the 20v, you could build it just like an Formula Atlantic and make 250hp N/A :D
  22. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    i didn't know they slapped a camry motor in the tc lol. animal. can that motor fit in the corolla?
  23. Offline

MattAveli Modifier

Message Count:
    read what you just said to your self again it made no sence, what happens to air when you compress it?, it heats up, what happens when you boost a already high compression engine? it heat's up more, what happens when you heat up a high reving high compression boosted engine for daily driving? your engine craps out after 1000 hours...don't bother with the 2zz, with the money you would spend on making it a low compression setup and then boosting it you might as well buy a whole new car.

808, it is my rolla thanks, yes it is gsr fat 5's

see, my dream is similar 808, if i can find it and if my corolla's chassis and body will survive another 5-10 years of maritime salt, i'ma try and find a 3s-ge blacktop, lower the cr then peice together a turbo kit for it, i figure it'll take 5-10 years to save the money to cover the cost of the engine and turbo kit assuming i can even find a 3s-ge blacktop...and no i dont mean a 20v 4age blacktop, i mean a 2.0l 16v 3s-ge beams blacktop. still unsure if i would make it awd or convert to rwd probly rwd but anyways that is a very very long term goal.

cheers,
  24. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    where i'm gonna get the motor. probs on the net. i got bout 6k cash rite now. still debating wut engine 2 chooose -_-. somethign about old engines that i'm uneasy about. what you guys think about the is300 engine/supra engine? that bugguh fit oh wut ^_^? so the question still remains. 2zz vs. 3sgte vs. 20v. bt!?!?! -_-, if i slap on a 3sgte is it posible 2 make my car awd? do i just use the awd celica diff and chass?
  25. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    It's gonna take A LOT more than $6,000 if you want your car to be AWD.
  26. Offline

MattAveli Modifier

Message Count:
  27. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    oh kepts. so its better 2 do the 2zz swap. should i get the 2.4 L or the 1.8L ?
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    2zz is only a 1.8 not a 2.4
  29. Offline

midnightrolla Guest

Message Count:
    wut motor is the 2.4L 4 the tc?
    its not a 2zz -_- lol my bads if it isn't
  30. Offline

Message Count: